Blackmoore's Night [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Blackmoore's Night

Hyfi
11-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Blackmoore's Night

Someone here, I think it was Mr.P sent me a 2 disk compilation, Purple & Blue. I mainly listened to the Purple disk but the other week I spun the Blue disk and was blown away by two tracks I did not know of. One was Ghost of a Rose and the other was a Joni Mitchel cover of Diamond and Rust.

The band is basically Ritchie Blackmoore and his wife Candace Night. The music style is labeled as medievil but some of it jams too. I would put them in a similar category as Steeleye Span, Fairport, Pentangle and others who do traditional Folk Rock music.

My favorite female vocalist was always Annie Haslam but at this time, I think Candace is my new fav. She has a voice like an angel. I recently bought 6 CDs of Blackmoore's Night used and created a 2 CD set of what I thought were the best and liveliest tracks. There are plenty of slower more traditional folky tracks and some nice instrumentals from Ritchie that I left off the comps.

There are several interesting cover tunes throughout the disks including one Elvis tune, Joni Mitchel, Bob Dylan and Annie's Ocean Gypsy which Candace nails very nicely. Ritchie plays some really nice classical, acoustic as well as rockin electric guitars.

I recently spun an old Deep Purple comp I got from someone here back in the trading heydays and heard a lot of similar guitar work in the background by Ritchie as to what he does in Blackmore's Night.

Anyway, for those who do like female vocals of the best quality, I highly recommend this band. There are plenty of YouTube vids to get a feel for what they do as well as several concert DVDs. Candace is also nice to look at while sampling the vids.

Thanks Mr.P if it was you. If not, thanks to whoever sent me the Purple&Blue set of comps.

Finch Platte
11-17-2010, 12:07 PM
I have one that I tried to give away in here with no takers.

Not my cup.

And how did a jerk like him get a hottie like that???????????????????????????????????

http://www.bnecfc.net/BL-Candice1.jpg

Hyfi
11-17-2010, 01:36 PM
I have one that I tried to give away in here with no takers.

Not my cup.

And how did a jerk like him get a hottie like that???????????????????????????????????

http://www.bnecfc.net/BL-Candice1.jpg

Hey Lurker! Did you check out that concert site?

Even if she sang like Roseanne, right...

Which one was it?

Did you check out that concert site?

Mr Peabody
11-17-2010, 07:16 PM
NP, where was I, for I would have taken it if I didn't already have it.

Hyfi, it was me. Glad to see you found something you really like. I have their concert DVD, I think it's Castles & Dreams. Candace used to be a model before her singing career. Geez, next you'll be on here digging Nightwish :)

Hyfi
11-18-2010, 08:57 AM
NP, where was I, for I would have taken it if I didn't already have it.

Hyfi, it was me. Glad to see you found something you really like. I have their concert DVD, I think it's Castles & Dreams. Candace used to be a model before her singing career. Geez, next you'll be on here digging Nightwish :)

Thanks, Mr.P. I thought it was you who sent me those disks.

It's great when you get a wake up call out of nowhere for music you were unaware of. I have already turned a few others onto BN that I thought would enjoy it.

Hyfi
11-24-2010, 10:17 AM
Geez, next you'll be on here digging Nightwish :)

Nah, just tried watching a few vids but nothing the same as BN.

I watched about half of the Castles and Dreams DVD last night and really enjoy the old instruments, venu, and the beautiful guitar work from Ritchie. There are also two sisters that sing backup with some great voices.

BarryL
11-25-2010, 12:21 PM
I had one of their earlier CDs which I recall not liking at the time I bought it, but I listened to it a few years back and really enjoyed it. Played it for a long time. I guess at the time I bought it I was looking for something less folky and traditional.

Diamonds and Rust was Joan Baez, not Joni Mitchell. I think on the first or second Blackmore's Night CD they do a cover version of Renaissance's Ocean Gypsy. I'd like to hear that but couldn't find it on iTunes.

Hyfi
11-25-2010, 03:28 PM
I had one of their earlier CDs which I recall not liking at the time I bought it, but I listened to it a few years back and really enjoyed it. Played it for a long time. I guess at the time I bought it I was looking for something less folky and traditional.

Diamonds and Rust was Joan Baez, not Joni Mitchell. I think on the first or second Blackmore's Night CD they do a cover version of Renaissance's Ocean Gypsy. I'd like to hear that but couldn't find it on iTunes.

Yeah I realized it was Baez after I posted it.

Ocean Gypsy is on Shadow of the Moon from 1997 and is a really nice version of this song. Not quite as high a range as Annie, but actually sounds a bit like her on this.

I took the liveliest tracks from 6 CDs and made 2 good ones. The folksier stuff can be a bit boring but there are at least 4 songs on each disk that rock out nicely.

Nice to hear from you Barry!

Mr Peabody
11-25-2010, 07:02 PM
My favorite tracks are the more eerie stuff like Ghost Of A Rose. Some of the more Rock tracks are good. BN's version of Child In Time doesn't compare to Deep Purple though :) You'll see David Coverdale on the DVD but he doesn't sing. One of the Rainbow vocalists joins them for a song but I can't remember his name. Maybe Dio wasn't into the acoustic or renaissance stuff but that colaboration may have been interesting. We'll never know now.

Hyfi
11-26-2010, 06:21 AM
My favorite tracks are the more eerie stuff like Ghost Of A Rose. Some of the more Rock tracks are good. BN's version of Child In Time doesn't compare to Deep Purple though :) You'll see David Coverdale on the DVD but he doesn't sing. One of the Rainbow vocalists joins them for a song but I can't remember his name. Maybe Dio wasn't into the acoustic or renaissance stuff but that colaboration may have been interesting. We'll never know now.

Ghost was what got me hooked on your comp. I like hauntingly beautiful also.