You guys are great!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : You guys are great!!!

dwayne.aycock
11-17-2010, 06:17 AM
You guys are great!! A few posts ago, I was inquiring about a paif of Mirage M3-Si speakers. I was interested in knowing the fair asking price for there bohemoths. I got suggestions from $900 to $1200. Well I got the pair yesterday for $1,167 including TAX.
It makes it easier to plan for purchases.
Thanks for the sound advise and guidance!!!!
Dwayne

Hyfi
11-17-2010, 06:19 AM
Congrats! Let us know how they sound.

poppachubby
11-17-2010, 07:29 AM
Make sure to follow up with everyone dwayne. It's always nice to see how things are after the purchase.

JoeE SP9
11-18-2010, 10:38 AM
You guys are great!! A few posts ago, I was inquiring about a paif of Mirage M3-Si speakers. I was interested in knowing the fair asking price for there bohemoths. I got suggestions from $900 to $1200. Well I got the pair yesterday for $1,167 including TAX.
Dwayne

Okay, you've had em for more than 24 hours!:thumbsup: How are they? :D

Raj J
11-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Dwayne

good day mate! greetings from melbourne, australia.
regarding your recent purchase of the mirage speakers, you will certainly enjoy these.
I once had the omni 6's driven with all conrad johnson amplification, using an arcam alpha 9 cd player; the sound reproduciton was quite good, specially the bass and for home theatre, although my primary set up is only meant for 2 channel. i was never a home theatre person to begin with (rather go to the movies). one thing with the mirage speakers, if you use top notch equipment to drive them, they will sound very good for the money, and will give a lot of systems the runs. try to partner it with good quality amplification and cables/interconnects.
what are you driving them with currently?

cheers, Raj J

Hyfi
11-19-2010, 10:54 AM
My first floorstanding speakers was a pair of mirage speakers 790 bi-polars. They had a front firing bass/midrange and titanium tweeter. Then they had a rear firing full range speaker. They were paired with the Hafler 9180 amp and 945 pre/tuner as my first step into a reasonable stereo. Sound was very good. I got the Stratos just prior to selling the Mirage and did they play nicely. All of these older Mirage speakers are kind of special and had quite good sound and construction for the money.

harley .guy07
11-19-2010, 11:00 AM
I know you will enjoy then since I used to sell them and I think they were some of the best speakers to come from Canada in the 90's and if you had the room for them they were a hard to beat speaker for all around sound quality especially in the bass.

GMichael
11-19-2010, 11:08 AM
Where are the pics and review?

manlystanley
11-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Dwayne

Don't you know it. They have been a huge help to me as well!!

Best Regards,
Stan

dwayne.aycock
11-24-2010, 10:41 AM
Greetings Guys, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I am in the Army, and November has been a very busy month. After I got the Mirages, I let them set in place for 3 days to acclimate to my room conditions. I am running some speaker cable from Dayton Audio, and I am bi-amping them with a pair of B&K EX 4420s. My inter connects are Audio Quest crystal series IV. I let the cables mate to the speakers at idle current for 24 hours before I started to drive them. My first batter up was a recording from the Verve label "Through the hands of time" by Patti Austin. The sound was simply stunning. With warm MOSFETS and the speakers now acclimated to the temp and humidity, the highs were crisp and clear, with no harshness. The midrangs sounded a bit muffled, but after some tweaking and adjustments as suggested in SUMIKO “IRON CHEF” SPEAKER SETUP PROTOCOL by John Hunter, I was able to remedy this problem in pretty short order. The bass was unbelievable!! It was tight and deep, with no noticible friction noises from the tuned ports. Next I tried Vinyl. Porgy and Bess by Miles Davis. Miles normally plays a pretty bright muted trumpet. It can make some of the best speakers sound brittle and harsh, but the Mirages handled the trassitions well. On the Home theater side, I played the battle scene from Pearl Harbor in Blue Ray format, and the depth charge scenes from U-571. I was blown away. (My Wife came down stairs when the dishes in the china cabinet started to rattle and 1 picture fell off the wall). All in all, I am plesed with the dynamics and performance of these bohemoths. They can be as soft as a womam's inner thigh, or as powerful as a Gorilla in a football game.
More later.......
Dwayne

Hyfi
11-24-2010, 10:55 AM
cool beans, glad they sound as good as we thought they would