I want CES 2011 NOW!!!! New Product Rumours [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I want CES 2011 NOW!!!! New Product Rumours

Ajani
11-17-2010, 04:23 AM
I feel like a kid in a candy store, both of my favourite speaker brands are supposed to debut new lines (in my ideal price range) in January:

The Revel Performa Series 3

&

The Monitor Audio GX Series

http://avcat.jp/avnews/2010/P1920226r2-.jpg

Also, both lines should look gorgeous as they both borrow aesthetics from the flagship Ultima 2 and Platinum lines respectively...

I wonder what other jewels await me in January...

http://avcat.jp/avnews/2010/magx.htm

TheHills44060
11-17-2010, 05:17 AM
If that had black trim rings and black woofers it'd be a sharp looking speaker. Silver looks too gaudy on the gloss black for me.

Ajani
11-17-2010, 06:01 AM
If that had black trim rings and black woofers it'd be a sharp looking speaker. Silver looks too gaudy on the gloss black for me.

I'm sure it will be available in other colours that wont conflict with the silver...

Mr Peabody
11-17-2010, 07:41 PM
A MA dealer told me the RX-6 was quite a bit better than the RS-6. I am also interested in hearing the GX. I hope the economy is good enough for the store to bring something in from the GX.

Ajani
11-17-2010, 08:34 PM
A MA dealer told me the RX-6 was quite a bit better than the RS-6. I am also interested in hearing the GX. I hope the economy is good enough for the store to bring something in from the GX.

The RX-6 is highly regarded for bringing much of the quality materials and sound from the Gold Series down to a much more affordable price range... I expect the new GX line to do the same by bringing Platinum quality down to the Gold Range...

There are real advantages to having flagship ranges to trickle down technology from...

JohnMichael
11-17-2010, 09:06 PM
The RX-6 is highly regarded for bringing much of the quality materials and sound from the Gold Series down to a much more affordable price range... I expect the new GX line to do the same by bringing Platinum quality down to the Gold Range...

There are real advantages to having flagship ranges to trickle down technology from...

I own a pair of MA RS 6's and I am not sure how I feel about metal cones. Something is not quite right. The Mo Fi OML 1's which use a silk tweeter and a coated pulp woofer sound much better in the range they cover. The RS 6's are in the closet collecting dust.

Ajani
11-17-2010, 09:24 PM
I own a pair of MA RS 6's and I am not sure how I feel about metal cones. Something is not quite right. The Mo Fi OML 1's which use a silk tweeter and a coated pulp woofer sound much better in the range they cover. The RS 6's are in the closet collecting dust.

Probably just a system synergy issue... Metal tends to lean towards the bright side and Krell is not known for being rolled off and soft sounding...

You might want to put the RS6's on A'gon...

atomicAdam
11-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Ajani -

I should be headed to CES 2011 - I'll make sure to check these out for you and give you a report.

I'll hopefully also get more time with those LCD2 cans.

Ajani
11-18-2010, 07:20 AM
Ajani -

I should be headed to CES 2011 - I'll make sure to check these out for you and give you a report.

I'll hopefully also get more time with those LCD2 cans.

Excellent! I look forward to your impressions on all 3...

TheHills44060
11-19-2010, 06:14 AM
I own a pair of MA RS 6's and I am not sure how I feel about metal cones. Something is not quite right.
I agree JM. Most of the time subwoofers are the only speakers I can tolerate metal cones in.

woofersus
11-19-2010, 09:28 PM
I'll have to try to get a chance to hear both of those. Looks interesting.

atomicAdam
11-21-2010, 05:34 AM

AH HA! Now you know why I moved on a bit...

RGA
11-21-2010, 01:38 PM
John and Adam

The thing with the driver materials is the companies out to make a buck need to differentiate themselves from the pack. The driver itself may in fact be technically superb but it doesn't mean that the sound will be anything other than fatiguing over long listening sessions. Kevlar was written about and people found them to be highly problematic beaming whatever. but they don't sound good in music listening applications IMO. Driver integration is not just a crossover but a sonic character that the driver itself puts out. Because a given woofer may put out 200hz so will four others but they don't all sound alike doing it and that is one reason to consider materials. At some point the tweeter hands over to a woofer and if the materials are dissimilar then a good ear or even average ears will at some point hear that handoff. On a showroom floor a speaker like the Monitor Audio designs with dissimilar drivers can generate a wow factor but sooner or later that dissimilarity will creep in IME. Which might be why the founder of Monitor Audio doesn't own them himself!!!

Someone read a graph and it looked good so build them and have lots of advertising on the cool new tweeters. Metal, titanium, tube tapering, ribbon, circular ribbon, stretched ribbon, stretched metal, Platinum, Diamond - and it's oh so "cool" - it's a shame they almost always get outclassed entirely by speakers using boring old silk domes and paper. A good plasma in Acapellas or Manger flat cones, field Coils have sounded good but the costs. I have never been convinced by a speaker using a ribbon tweeter. Actually I've never been convinced by a ribbon doing anything. I've liked two recently - Sonist and Audio Zen but even here I kind of feel it could be better with a regular boring old silk dome. The added zing sssss (detail) would be removed and it would like integrated better with the woofers. Although I liked them at the show quite a lot. (but then a show is a 15-45minute listen and then on to the next).

Ajani
11-21-2010, 03:08 PM
John and Adam

The thing with the driver materials is the companies out to make a buck need to differentiate themselves from the pack. The driver itself may in fact be technically superb but it doesn't mean that the sound will be anything other than fatiguing over long listening sessions. Kevlar was written about and people found them to be highly problematic beaming whatever. but they don't sound good in music listening applications IMO. Driver integration is not just a crossover but a sonic character that the driver itself puts out. Because a given woofer may put out 200hz so will four others but they don't all sound alike doing it and that is one reason to consider materials. At some point the tweeter hands over to a woofer and if the materials are dissimilar then a good ear or even average ears will at some point hear that handoff. On a showroom floor a speaker like the Monitor Audio designs with dissimilar drivers can generate a wow factor but sooner or later that dissimilarity will creep in IME. Which might be why the founder of Monitor Audio doesn't own them himself!!!

Someone read a graph and it looked good so build them and have lots of advertising on the cool new tweeters. Metal, titanium, tube tapering, ribbon, circular ribbon, stretched ribbon, stretched metal, Platinum, Diamond - and it's oh so "cool" - it's a shame they almost always get outclassed entirely by speakers using boring old silk domes and paper. A good plasma in Acapellas or Manger flat cones, field Coils have sounded good but the costs. I have never been convinced by a speaker using a ribbon tweeter. Actually I've never been convinced by a ribbon doing anything. I've liked two recently - Sonist and Audio Zen but even here I kind of feel it could be better with a regular boring old silk dome. The added zing sssss (detail) would be removed and it would like integrated better with the woofers. Although I liked them at the show quite a lot. (but then a show is a 15-45minute listen and then on to the next).

I agree with your general view that dissimilar driver materials are not likely to integrate well... That has been my experience with combinations such as aluminum tweeters and kevlar midranges... I think it is often just a case of looking at specs and tossing in exotic materials...

I think, however, that your decision to apply that theory to Monitor Audio is way off base.. Monitor Audio uses the sames C-CAM (Metal drivers) from woofer to tweeter... The only distinction in the tweeters was adding a thin layer of Gold over the already metal driver... In the Platinum line they use the C-CAM material to create a ribbon tweeter... So it is not a case of using completely different driver materials that don't integrate...

One of the reasons I like Revel and also Monitor Audio is because of using similar materials for all drivers... I believe that we too often blame crossover design for the inherent incompatibility of different driver materials...

Ajani
11-21-2010, 03:19 PM
Adam & JM,

If I'm not mistaken you both purchased the RS6's based on the excellent reviews not because you had done extensive listening sessions with them in a store...

While I also purchase products without a first audition, I think we need to remember that doing so means there is an even stronger chance that you won't really like the product when you take it home....

Also, consider whether you were using gear that complemented the speakers or did you just combine them with gear you already owned at the time? Combining speakers you haven't auditioned with whatever gear you have on hand could easily account for your bad experiences...

Despite all of those issues, you might really just not like metal drivers or Monitor Audio speakers... They are not for everyone (no matter what a review might claim)... Then again no speaker is for everyone...

JohnMichael
11-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Adam & JM,

If I'm not mistaken you both purchased the RS6's based on the excellent reviews not because you had done extensive listening sessions with them in a store...

Despite all of those issues, you might really just not like metal drivers or Monitor Audio speakers... They are not for everyone (no matter what a review might claim)... Then again no speaker is for everyone...

I bought mine from the local audio dealer about 1 mile from home. This time I had been to several audio stores and listening to speakers. I thought the MA's were the best of what I heard at the time. I was pleased with them long after a 30 day trial would have lasted. Then I began to be bothered by the sound. Believe me the Krell drives them quite nicely. A friend was visiting one time and I put in some Black Eyed Peas and let the music flow. I continued to turn up the volume and he was impressed that everything just got louder and not distorted. Initially the sound was impressive and they did get an impressive review. There was just something that after a few months began to become irritating.

Then I brought out the OML 1's and oh the music was back. The audio store where I bought the MA's is just a shell of its former self. MA is all he stocks but can order other brands. He deals a lot in used and does new home theater installs. Sadly there was not much chance of trading them in on something else. The MA's helped me realize how good the Mo Fi's are. Oh and the Krell drives them nicely. I should add that the best speaker was the one I bought sound unheard.

Ajani
11-21-2010, 04:32 PM
I bought mine from the local audio dealer about 1 mile from home. This time I had been to several audio stores and listening to speakers. I thought the MA's were the best of what I heard at the time. I was pleased with them long after a 30 day trial would have lasted. Then I began to be bothered by the sound. Believe me the Krell drives them quite nicely. A friend was visiting one time and I put in some Black Eyed Peas and let the music flow. I continued to turn up the volume and he was impressed that everything just got louder and not distorted. Initially the sound was impressive and they did get an impressive review. There was just something that after a few months began to become irritating.

Then I brought out the OML 1's and oh the music was back. The audio store where I bought the MA's is just a shell of its former self. MA is all he stocks but can order other brands. He deals a lot in used and does new home theater installs. Sadly there was not much chance of trading them in on something else. The MA's helped me realize how good the Mo Fi's are. Oh and the Krell drives them nicely. I should add that the best speaker was the one I bought sound unheard.

My bad... It was the Krell you ordered unheard online? (I must have mixed that up with the MAs)...

I haven't tried Krell, but the descriptions I've read of their sound just doesn't seem like a good match to Monitor Audio... I could imagine it sounding impressive for awhile and then annoying in the long run... IMO, MA's should be paired with warmer sounding gear... MA speakers are deliberately engineered to be "bright" and "bass heavy" - just check out the frequency response charts from Stereophile & HiFi World... So an amp that won't slightly roll off the extremes / emphasize the mid-range is likely to be a poor match to the MA's...

atomicAdam
11-21-2010, 09:55 PM
My complaint isn't the quality of sound of the RS6 speakers - it is more the lack of detail and the in ability to form a cohesive image - where all the frequencies sounds integrated and coming from a central point. I could always here the bass being low to the ground. I think for the price, they are fantastic speakers. But I heard better, and moved on.

I would love to give them another go with some of the speaker cables and gear I have my hands on now. I can tell you for sure the slightly bloated mid ranges would be reduced (I hope) and the detail would increase (i hope). But frankly, there are just speakers out there that are more detailed and better at putting together the sound. Obviously, even MA has better speakers than the RS6... Saying I moved on isn't a knock on the speakers, it is just a fact.

JohnMichael
11-22-2010, 03:36 AM
I did not have any problem with bloated bass because the Krell keeps a tight grip on the woofers. I agree they could not deliver a cohesive image. Comparing the RS6's to the OML1's which both retailed for about $1,000 proves what I have always thought about speakers. It is easier and cheaper to make a well damped cabinet for a bookshelf speaker than it is a floor standing speaker. I do not remember which audio writer would say under $5,000 buy bookshelf over $5,000 floorstanders. The OML1's using a smaller well damped cabinet and two drivers can image much better than the RS6's using three drivers and a more resonant cabinet. I am sure the PMC's are doing a better job with imaging.

My thoughts are about dynamic drivers in boxes.

Ajani
11-22-2010, 04:44 PM
My complaint isn't the quality of sound of the RS6 speakers - it is more the lack of detail and the in ability to form a cohesive image - where all the frequencies sounds integrated and coming from a central point. I could always here the bass being low to the ground. I think for the price, they are fantastic speakers. But I heard better, and moved on.

I would love to give them another go with some of the speaker cables and gear I have my hands on now. I can tell you for sure the slightly bloated mid ranges would be reduced (I hope) and the detail would increase (i hope). But frankly, there are just speakers out there that are more detailed and better at putting together the sound. Obviously, even MA has better speakers than the RS6... Saying I moved on isn't a knock on the speakers, it is just a fact.

Your earlier post was in between JM's questioning whether he likes metal drivers and RGA's seeming contempt for Monitor Audio... So it seemed more like you were chiming in on the Monitor's Audios not being good...

As for moving on: That should be expected... The RS6 were very good $1K Towers, but $1K is not the end all of HiFi speakers... The reason I never bought a pair of RS6 is because I heard the GS20... Having heard the GS20, I was never willing to accept the lower sound quality of the RS6... Considering the GS20 were triple the price of the RS6, then it better have sounded superior...

Ajani
11-22-2010, 04:50 PM
I did not have any problem with bloated bass because the Krell keeps a tight grip on the woofers. I agree they could not deliver a cohesive image. Comparing the RS6's to the OML1's which both retailed for about $1,000 proves what I have always thought about speakers. It is easier and cheaper to make a well damped cabinet for a bookshelf speaker than it is a floor standing speaker. I do not remember which audio writer would say under $5,000 buy bookshelf over $5,000 floorstanders. The OML1's using a smaller well damped cabinet and two drivers can image much better than the RS6's using three drivers and a more resonant cabinet. I am sure the PMC's are doing a better job with imaging.

My thoughts are about dynamic drivers in boxes.

I've heard a few reviewers and mags make similar statements about bookshelfs versus floorstanders... usually the figure was closer to $2K than $5k though... But logically, a $2K small, 2 way monitor should be comprised of far higher quality materials than a $2K, large, 3 way floorstander (assuming the brands spend similar ratios on materials versus design, advertising, profit margins, etc)...

Generally one would expect a small monitor to have a more refined sound than a tower of the same price... The tower should have greater bass extension, scale and dynamic range. So it should be a matter of user preference...

Ajani
11-27-2010, 05:47 PM
To get the thread back on track:

I keep wondering if we'll see a new digital amp from NAD....

The NAD M2 has been raved about by Stereophile, The Absolute Sound and HiFi News as being the second coming of integrated amplifiers, so clearly it is only a matter of time before the tech trickles down to cheaper models... So perhaps CES 2011 will be the time for a cheaper digital integrated...

TheHills44060
11-28-2010, 06:46 AM
I want to hear the M2 so badly. I only know what I have read but is it me or does it seem grossly overpriced for what it is?

Ajani
11-29-2010, 03:57 AM
Another pic of the GX300:

http://www.elfbi.com/imfo/nbsal52.jpg

More pics here:

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1031&t=29817374&start=1560

Ajani
11-29-2010, 03:58 AM
GX50:

http://www.elfbi.com/imfo/nbsal58.jpg

audio amateur
11-29-2010, 05:08 AM
So an amp that won't slightly roll off the extremes / emphasize the mid-range is likely to be a poor match to the MA's...
I get confused when people talk about 'rolled off highs' etc. as it's my understanding that modern hi-fi amps all have a frequency response of at least 20-20000 Hz plus or minus 0.5Hz or less.

JohnMichael
11-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Adam & JM,

While I also purchase products without a first audition, I think we need to remember that doing so means there is an even stronger chance that you won't really like the product when you take it home....

Also, consider whether you were using gear that complemented the speakers or did you just combine them with gear you already owned at the time? Combining speakers you haven't auditioned with whatever gear you have on hand could easily account for your bad experiences...

Ajani

I was missing the bass so I pulled the RS6's out of the closet. The pair I have were the stores demo pair and since The RX6's had been announced I bought thme at a good price. When I have not used speakers in awhile I like to tighten the drivers mounting screws since they tend to loosen with vibrations. This time I also checked the base of the speakers and to my surprise the bases were not that secure with the speakers. I thightened up the screws on everything and between the bases being more solidly affixed the sound has improved.

I am enjoying more bass and better imaging this time around. I will keep you posted if they can become a long term favorite. I cannot stress enough the importance of snugging up the screws for dynamic drivers in boxes. Oh and do not assume your dealer put the bases on the speakers as well as he could have.

Ajani
11-29-2010, 06:09 PM
Ajani

I was missing the bass so I pulled the RS6's out of the closet. The pair I have were the stores demo pair and since The RX6's had been announced I bought thme at a good price. When I have not used speakers in awhile I like to tighten the drivers mounting screws since they tend to loosen with vibrations. This time I also checked the base of the speakers and to my surprise the bases were not that secure with the speakers. I thightened up the screws on everything and between the bases being more solidly affixed the sound has improved.

I am enjoying more bass and better imaging this time around. I will keep you posted if they can become a long term favorite. I cannot stress enough the importance of snugging up the screws for dynamic drivers in boxes. Oh and do not assume your dealer put the bases on the speakers as well as he could have.

There is a real advantage to having a spare set of speakers in the closet to pull out and try...

BTW, your setup looks fantastic... I'm seriously jealous, I'd love to compare that Krell to my Emo and see how much I might be missing...

And yeah it can be such a pain judging the sound of speakers, as so many annoying little variables can affect the sound... Maybe, your next set of speakers should be floorstanders with a silk dome tweeter so you get smoother highs but also great bass extension...

Ajani
12-01-2010, 07:01 PM
John, I notice the RS6 are back in your Avatar... You must be really liking them again... Have you auditioned the RX6?

JohnMichael
12-01-2010, 07:27 PM
John, I notice the RS6 are back in your Avatar... You must be really liking them again... Have you auditioned the RX6?

The local shop has them but since their acquisition I have not had time to give them a listen. This evening I have worked with their positions in the room and have found a nice balance to the sound. Only time will tell.

JohnMichael
12-02-2010, 06:01 PM

It is too early to say for sure but I think the DNM Reson IC's are part of the reason I am enjoying the RS6 speakers. The tweeter sounds better behaved and there is an edge missing from the music that sent the RS6's into the closet.

Ajani
12-09-2010, 10:04 PM
A pic of the full GX line:

http://www.minhembio.com/forum/uploads/monthly_11_2010/post-18215-1290176298.jpg

E-Stat
12-10-2010, 06:52 AM
...as it's my understanding that modern hi-fi amps all have a frequency response of at least 20-20000 Hz plus or minus 0.5Hz or less.
while driving a resistor on the test bench. The real world of amps driving speakers with wide impedance swings and reactive components, however, can change the mix.

rw

Tarheel_
12-10-2010, 10:59 AM
As a Revel Performa owner, i'm also excited about their new lineup. My local dealer is very cool to allow demos without being in the market.

I for one was seriously let down by the F32 and F50a..only the F52 was on another plane so I expect this new lineup to mimic the 52 and improve on its' sound quality.

Ahh, to win the lottery

Ajani
12-10-2010, 11:21 AM
As a Revel Performa owner, i'm also excited about their new lineup. My local dealer is very cool to allow demos without being in the market.

I for one was seriously let down by the F32 and F50a..only the F52 was on another plane so I expect this new lineup to mimic the 52 and improve on its' sound quality.

Ahh, to win the lottery

What did you dislike about the F32? I'm curious since I know I should be able to get a good deal on one when the new series drops, so it would be an option...

Tarheel_
12-10-2010, 01:10 PM
What did you dislike about the F32? I'm curious since I know I should be able to get a good deal on one when the new series drops, so it would be an option...

The F32...mostly the mid-range suffered, it just cannot reproduce the sweet airy range the F30 could....plus, the more obvious...bass output. The F32 cannot go nearly as deep or clean as the F30 before it. Bear in mind, with the new- more friendly (WAF) cabinets and the move to smaller woofers on the F32, comprises had to be made.

The F50a is a mess. I never liked either version and was quite surprised by the sound quality when considering their price. For a comparison, this dealer had a new pair of PSB Stratus Silver i's or Gold (cannot remember) which i thought sounded as good or even better overall.

Both were driven with Marantz/Lexicon.

Given a choice I would pass on both and save the funds for a used pair of F52s. A world apart and much, much superior to the F30.

Ajani
12-10-2010, 01:54 PM
The F32...mostly the mid-range suffered, it just cannot reproduce the sweet airy range the F30 could....plus, the more obvious...bass output. The F32 cannot go nearly as deep or clean as the F30 before it. Bear in mind, with the new- more friendly (WAF) cabinets and the move to smaller woofers on the F32, comprises had to be made.

The F50a is a mess. I never liked either version and was quite surprised by the sound quality when considering their price. For a comparison, this dealer had a new pair of PSB Stratus Silver i's or Gold (cannot remember) which i thought sounded as good or even better overall.

Both were driven with Marantz/Lexicon.

Given a choice I would pass on both and save the funds for a used pair of F52s. A world apart and much, much superior to the F30.

The bass output I understand... The choice to go for WAF cabinets meant ditching the awesome 10" woofers of the F30... I am surprised to hear that you felt that the midrange suffered, as I've generally read that the midrange on the F32 is better than the F30, and so bass was traded partially for a more refined mid-range...

Anyway, I hope the new series replaces the F32 with a Performa Studio... in other words; dual 8 inch woofers (like the Ultima Studio and Concerta F12) instead of the dual 6.5" of the F32... That should make the Speakers just slightly less thin than the F32 but restore the potent bass of the F30....

Tarheel_
12-11-2010, 07:45 PM
The bass output I understand... The choice to go for WAF cabinets meant ditching the awesome 10" woofers of the F30... I am surprised to hear that you felt that the midrange suffered, as I've generally read that the midrange on the F32 is better than the F30, and so bass was traded partially for a more refined mid-range...

Anyway, I hope the new series replaces the F32 with a Performa Studio... in other words; dual 8 inch woofers (like the Ultima Studio and Concerta F12) instead of the dual 6.5" of the F32... That should make the Speakers just slightly less thin than the F32 but restore the potent bass of the F30....

read what you want to read, but i heard quite a difference....the F32 cannot compete with the F30 on most levels....being new doesn't mean better. Somehow the F52 was a break through for the Performa line and dare i say better than the 1st gen studio/salon speakers.
Outside the new upper line, the F52 is the one.

Ajani
12-12-2010, 06:18 AM
read what you want to read, but i heard quite a difference....the F32 cannot compete with the F30 on most levels....being new doesn't mean better. Somehow the F52 was a break through for the Performa line and dare i say better than the 1st gen studio/salon speakers.
Outside the new upper line, the F52 is the one.

I really do find it surprising that you found no advantages to the F32... I get that newer doesn't mean better, but considering the approach at Revel for releasing new speakers (it has to definitetively beat the old model in their DBTs) I would have expected the F32 to be an improvement in many areas (other than bass)...

But all that really matters is what you've heard... I've never made the comparison between the F30 and F32, so I can't argue whether one is better than the other... I do know that even if I was to audition the 2 and find the F32 better in the midrange/treble, I'd still be dissapointed by the decision to reduce the bass output... A major part of what made the F30 so special was the full range ability of the speaker... WAF shouldn't be an excuse to lose that special appeal...

JohnMichael
01-17-2011, 04:42 PM

The RS6's are back in the closet. I think now I can say I have tried just about any placement and toe-in or lack of toe-in. I think it is time they are sold. I think I have finally figured out what I do not like about the sound. The instruments do not sound full bodied but thinner than how they sound on other speakers or in a concert. Bright and thin is what has always began to get on my nerves. It takes a while but I do get tired of them. Of course I do miss the bass reach they have over the OML 1's but there is more to music than bass.

Ajani
01-17-2011, 05:41 PM
The RS6's are back in the closet. I think now I can say I have tried just about any placement and toe-in or lack of toe-in. I think it is time they are sold. I think I have finally figured out what I do not like about the sound. The instruments do not sound full bodied but thinner than how they sound on other speakers or in a concert. Bright and thin is what has always began to get on my nerves. It takes a while but I do get tired of them. Of course I do miss the bass reach they have over the OML 1's but there is more to music than bass.

I think you may want to sell both the RS6 and the OML's and get some different floorstanders... As it seems the RS6 sound just isn't to your liking and the lack of bass in a bookshelf isn't quite enough for you either....