Cambridge Azur 840A VS Atol IN100 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cambridge Azur 840A VS Atol IN100

jamada
11-16-2010, 04:22 AM
Just recently bought a Cambridge Azur C CD Player........ I was totaly WOWED.
So much so I decided I would upgrade my ATOL IN100 Integrated to the Cambride Azur 840A.

Although I've read many reviews of the 840A I was wondering if anyone had comments/opinions comparing the Atol In100 to the 840A, or simply commnets opnions on either product..

(Other Amp considerd was Naim)

I plan on picking up the 840A later today, Source interconnects are Chord Chameleon Silver Plus.

Speakers: Canton RCL, cables Van der Hul CS - 122 HYBRID (Halogen Free)

Jamada

poppachubby
11-16-2010, 04:35 AM
Well first of all, welcome to AR!

The bottom line is that you are doing the right thing by picking up the amp for audition. You can read 500 reviews and gain endless insight on forums, but it means nothing until YOU have a listen.

I can't comment on the Atol, but I have a local Cambridge dealer who push quite heavily the Azur line. I have heard the Azur with all complimentary Cambridge gear and it's a fine machine for the price. I think you'll find it very musical and capable of an engaging presentation. That's all you can ask for at that price point.

Now, you quickly mentioned a Naim. Which model? IMO the Naim would shame the Cambridge. Naim make superb gear...you think your Azur CDP sounds good!?! Naim are world champs at CDP design, they also make some nice sounding amps. I have listened in depth to both the Nait 3r and the Nait 5. Frankly they are in an entirely different universe of quality from anything Cambridge could offer you. I say move on the Naim if that's an option.

The Naim would shame the Cam (bridge)....that rhymes nicely.

jamada
11-16-2010, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the response, Naims Nait 5 was the consideration.

I bought the 840C (CD player) from a very reputable audiostore for 995.cdn, supposedly used......... coulndt even tell, the plastic paper still covered the display screen. It was the price that attracted me as well as ability to deal with the dealer if their was an issue.

I agree what you say about the Naim especially as a brand it sticks out and shouts quality. functionality is what I missed on my atol, as dumb as it sounds I appreciate the flexability of two speaker pairs, the Atol didnt have it. The second convenience sticking with the 840A is remote controls, I have to admit pretty laim reasons BUT they count.

jamada

Ajani
11-16-2010, 06:49 AM
There's no shame in buying a product that suits your needs... While a striped down, minimalist design might be the best approach to sound quality, it just won't satisfy the needs of all users...

The Cambridge line (especially the 840 series) have great features...

blackraven
11-16-2010, 12:13 PM
The 840A has gotten great reviews and it should match well with the 840c (which I used to own). I think that Cambridge Audio offers a lot of bang for the buck, although their prices are creeping up.

You should get very good detail and resolution from both those units.

pixelthis
11-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Just recently bought a Cambridge Azur C CD Player........ I was totaly WOWED.
So much so I decided I would upgrade my ATOL IN100 Integrated to the Cambride Azur 840A.

Although I've read many reviews of the 840A I was wondering if anyone had comments/opinions comparing the Atol In100 to the 840A, or simply commnets opnions on either product..

(Other Amp considerd was Naim)

I plan on picking up the 840A later today, Source interconnects are Chord Chameleon Silver Plus.

Speakers: Canton RCL, cables Van der Hul CS - 122 HYBRID (Halogen Free)

Jamada

Cambridge has video on YOUTUBE, shows how they design a product and bring it to market. VERY INTERESTING, might want to check it out.:1: