Lifes GOOD(LG) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Lifes GOOD(LG)

pixelthis
11-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Just pulled the cord on a new LG 42" 1080p.
Nothing special about this set, but the pic is outstanding, especially with film material
(does 24p). So far so good. More info later.:1:

kexodusc
11-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Congrats on your new display. How big was its predecessor?

Geoffcin
11-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Congrats on the new set! Remember to tweak the color. I've yet to see a set that had correct color right out of the box.

audio amateur
11-16-2010, 12:30 AM
Can I ask why you bought another display, seeing as it's the same size as the one you already own?

pixelthis
11-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Can I ask why you bought another display, seeing as it's the same size as the one you already own?

One word..picture.
I FELL IN LOVE with LG sets when I saw a 52", but it was too expensive.
When my guy reopened his store in a new location I went by, and he had this one,
and a 55" for 1800 BUCKS. 42" is about right for my room, and this would be a good interim
set until things sort themselves out, and it was pretty cheap.
Not as cheap as the 42" WALMART has for black fri, 400 bucks(good luck on that one),
but LG is a bit higher line piece of gear.
BASICALLY I like the way they do their picture, and the set is set up pretty nicely,
with a picture calibration app that is pretty good for pic adjustment on the fly.
Also 24p, USB, a lot of zoom options that will allow any pic to fit.
Sometimes a move isnt revolutionary, more evolutionary. This set is an advance over what I had, and will allow me to see if I want to make an investment of a more substantial
nature in the brand.
Its not LED, 120 hz, etc, but who cares? THE PICTURE IS AWESOME.
Not too much of an advance over Vizio, but just enough to justify the price.
L.A Confidential really looked great on BLU at 24p, but the biggest surprize was a cheap TV series on
TNT called the Closer. I thought this one was shot in HD VIDEO, maybe it is,
but on this set it looked like film, very nice. And color is accurate and not over-saturated,
a nice change of pace. IT WAS watchable outta the box, but after running the little picture
app it was really amazing.
A nice set to watch for a year or so, see if it holds out as a good buy. The guy I bought
it from services what he sells, so I AM NOT WORRIED.
And the folks love their new Vizio, which is really a nice set.
Not much in this one, and have a higher line set, can't go wrong, really.
Will post a review after a few weeks.:1:

Smokey
11-16-2010, 06:14 PM
I am guessing the model you bought is 42LD450. That LG model use IPS panel which is known for accurate color and good viewing angle. Too bad LG LCD don't have analog audio output or I would consider them too.

TheHills44060
11-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Too bad LG LCD don't have analog audio output or I would consider them too.
That gravely concerned me too when researching flat panel televisions because I don't use a AV receiver/processor and don't use HDMI sources at all. Well I ended up getting digital cable that hooks up to the tv via HDMI. Good thing is that the dig cable box has an optical audio out that I connect to my DAC. So I have the choice of listening to the tv speakers or I can turn on my stereo and listen to the tv that way. Works out really well.

...and pixel I went plasma lol!

Smokey
11-16-2010, 08:14 PM
That gravely concerned me too when researching flat panel televisions because I don't use a AV receiver/processor and don't use HDMI sources at all. Well I ended up getting digital cable that hooks up to the tv via HDMI. Good thing is that the dig cable box has an optical audio out that I connect to my DAC. So I have the choice of listening to the tv speakers or I can turn on my stereo and listen to the tv that way. Works out really well.

Thanks Hills for the info.

I had one question. What about when feeding TV analog audio from DVD player or VCR. Does TV's digital output carry audio [in digital] from those sources also?

TheHills44060
11-16-2010, 09:05 PM
That's a great question Smokey. Right now I have the analog audio out from the VCR and DVD going to my preamp, not the tv. Since I would normally wouldn't want to hear those sources through the tv speakers it is fine for me.

At this time I don't have a cable long enough to reach from the tv optical out to the DAC. Tomorrow after work I'll move the DAC over so its closer to the tv and verify that it reads the opt.out signal fine when the tv is fed an analog L/R stereo source. I don't see why it wouldn't work but I will check to be sure.

pixelthis
11-17-2010, 12:19 PM
I am guessing the model you bought is 42LD450. That LG model use IPS panel which is known for accurate color and good viewing angle. Too bad LG LCD don't have analog audio output or I would consider them too.

You hit it on the head. IT also has a picture app, you jump through hoops and you get a great picture. It has the ISF label. Now , its not an true ISF most likely, but it looks
really nice, and a window opens with all of your pic and aspect info. Nice.
AND there is an analog out, on the left side. Its the headphone jack. You can get an adapter
at the shack, sounds just as good as any other audio out.
Is a "name" worth a little more? If its a good product. AND all of the things that go with
a higher line set are here. Refinement of the entire package. So far so good, anyway.
I still recommend Vizio to those on a budget, but with these side by side its no contest, really.
Another thing, not all but several remote codes match, and it has auto on and off sense,
so I dont need a on and off switch,. MORE zoom modes than you can shake a stick at, also. And it handshakes a lot better with my Integra. All the set I need right now, really.
Another thing, might be my imagination, but the sound from my system seems a bit
better, don't know if its got something to do with this new sets handshake or not, most likely my imagination.:1:

Luvin Da Blues
11-17-2010, 12:38 PM
........AND there is an analog out, on the left side. Its the headphone jack. .................................................. .................................................. ................................Another thing, might be my imagination, but the sound from my system seems a bit better, don't know if its got something to do with this new sets handshake or not, most likely my imagination.:1:

Could be the gain from the headphone jack. I'm assuming that you need to set the level with the TV's volume control?

Worf101
11-18-2010, 05:47 AM
Hey Smoke, whatever became of your whole, upgrade/getting cable, etc... saga? What are you running now? Hey Pix, I never figured you for an impulsive/gear lust purchase but as long as you're happy, I'm happy for ya!

Worf

BadAssJazz
11-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Congratz on the new flatscreen. LG came up favorably, as did Samsung, back when I was researching my last TV purchase. It's always bodes well when a company is able to improve on performance and acclaim with each new product it releases into the market. It's the sort of thing that drives competition without necessarily impacting the consumer in the wallet. And with prices finally falling out of the stratosphere for most quality TV's, irrespective of brand, we all reap the benefits. Enjoy!

pixelthis
11-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Could be the gain from the headphone jack. I'm assuming that you need to set the level with the TV's volume control?

I have not used the phone jack yet, no need.
I HAVE THREE cables on this set. The cable straight from the wall, an HDMI from
my receiver, which has all of my stuff plugged into it, and a power cord.
Don't even know how this set sounds. Only reason I have a basic cable connection
is the rare time I don't want to crank up the whole system, or when I AM DVRing
two things and want to watch a third.
I mentioned the phone jack because Smokey said there was no analog audio out,
and there is via the phone jack.
BTW there are only two HDMI connections, all you need really(BLU and cable), and a DVI
which can do HDMI duty with an adapter. this is either cheapness or forward thinking.
If you have a receiver as the hub of your system you will only need one anyway.
My last set had four, nice but a needless expense, really.:1:

pixelthis
11-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Congratz on the new flatscreen. LG came up favorably, as did Samsung, back when I was researching my last TV purchase. It's always bodes well when a company is able to improve on performance and acclaim with each new product it releases into the market. It's the sort of thing that drives competition without necessarily impacting the consumer in the wallet. And with prices finally falling out of the stratosphere for most quality TV's, irrespective of brand, we all reap the benefits. Enjoy!

Thanks.
So far so good...:1:

pixelthis
11-18-2010, 11:07 AM
Hey Smoke, whatever became of your whole, upgrade/getting cable, etc... saga? What are you running now? Hey Pix, I never figured you for an impulsive/gear lust purchase but as long as you're happy, I'm happy for ya!

Worf

Thats what it was, really.
I JUST LIKE the pic on these LG'S, and this seemed like a decent bridge until I get some things done. By the time the whole LED deal is sorted I can trade up.
Monitors used to be something you bought rarely, but now you can get a decent
one while you're waiting for the "right" one. PRICES are so low its no need to hang onto
a set you are not happy with, or one you are just tired of.
Speaking of which, the Vizio was fine, and its still in the family, just had a problem with chalkface(not the only set that has this) and lacking the refinement I need right now.
PEEEPS never got what I used VIZIO for, a cheap, reliable route to a decent picture.
BUT NOW I want an outstanding picture.
The LG delivers.
THANKS Worfster.:1:

Smokey
11-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Hey Smoke, whatever became of your whole, upgrade/getting cable, etc... saga?

Well, nothing :D

Still running the old fashioon 32inch CRT TV. Hopefully will upgrade soon. Since got the new computer, have started to watch alot of online shows (even in HD) which I download. So my viewing habits have shifted from TV to PC.

I mentioned the headphone jack because Smokey said there was no analog audio out, and there is via the phone jack.

The most adaptors I see online just split the signal from headphone jack into RCA plugs which really degrade sound quality. Headphone output do not have same specification and impedance as RCA output, so there is a mismatch.

I have tried to use headphone jack several time before, feeding the RCA inputs using the same adaptor. And result was not satisfacatory.

BTW, how LG picture quality with SD materials?

pixelthis
11-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Well, nothing :D

Still running the old fashioon 32inch CRT TV. Hopefully will upgrade soon. Since got the new computer, have started to watch alot of online shows (even in HD) which I download. So my viewing habits have shifted from TV to PC.

The most adaptors I see online just split the signal from headphone jack into RCA plugs which really degrade sound quality. Headphone output do not have same specification and impedance as RCA output, so there is a mismatch.

I have tried to use headphone jack several time before, feeding the RCA inputs using the same adaptor. And result was not satisfacatory.

BTW, how LG picture quality with SD materials?

My biggest gripe.
Not bad, but not outstanding, either. HARD TO TELL right now, anyway. Comcast is going through something called "the digital migration" and quality in both sound and pic is all over the board. Probably counts for the amazing sound, they added bandwidth to the
audio channel. Auddessy was a major improvement , but this on top of that.
SOMETIMES , even tho 480i(up converted by the box), the picture is really good for SD.
LG handles SD better than Vizio, but not by much. That was always Vizios forte.
Where LG cuts a rug is HD, the detail is stunning, especially with BLU AT 24P.
Only deal is that I run the ISF wizard for pic, and its recommended contrast (if you
match your patten to the "preferred") is a whopping 90 %!!!
I know that doesn't hurt LCD panels like the old crt sets, but it does wash out some detail,
so I SET IT AT 65%, and that works fine.
THERE IS ALSO A BUTTON that toggles between cinema, game, sports modes.
The cinema is okay, but the others seem to just increase brightness somewhat.
I THINK the problem with SD is the same with other really good HD panels, you just get
used to HD and everything else pales. Also you have to switch to 4:3, usually,
even if aspect is set to "program decides". One minor quibble, the aspect and zoom
has a lot in its toolbox. But when you take material that is surrounded by black, and
pick the zoom with the arrows pointed at the corners, it doesn't fill the screen!
But these are minor quibles. Like my VIZIO it takes upconverted SD from my BLU
and does a really good job, which is a concern due to my several hundreds DVDs'.
In other words so far so good. THE BIGGEST "surprize is some HD film that I thought was
HD video is really filmlike. Also Disney channel has some amazing HD video, and this set
imparts a subtlety and detail to this very intense HD video.
BASICALLY the same pic I fell in love with, reminds me of some of Sonys stuff that made me fall in love with them.:1:

pixelthis
11-20-2010, 01:04 PM
NEWS about my set.
First, its running on QVC for the same I paid for it, except the QVC model has
120hz and LED!!
This is for the weekend only, and is a heck of a deal.
WITHOUT those this is still a great set. It has an ISF based picture "wizard".
You won't have an ISF picture after you run it, but you will have a very nice pic.
Heres a shot from the wizard...:1:

pixelthis
11-20-2010, 01:07 PM
And here is what you get when you're through.
Also some screen shots from a blu, and a few from a cable HDTV show.
problematic at best, I KNOW.:1:

jpl
12-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Wasn't LG formally know as "Goldstar"? Just asking......

pixelthis
12-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Wasn't LG formally know as "Goldstar"? Just asking......

What I HEARD. And a reason for some hesitation. But then I realized that my aunts Goldstar
VCR lasted forever, almost. WHATEVER their past history, they now make a darn fine
monitor, see below for a two week walk around, basic impressions, basically.:1:

pixelthis
12-03-2010, 01:48 PM
So I have had my LG 42" 1080p 60hz for a few weeks, so what is the deal?
I luv luv luv LUV it, is all.
The picture is the best I have seen on a set, really quite amazing.
ODDLY, the most I was impressed was during bad weather, some weather
prima dona had a webcam shot for a background, some city. It looked like
a photograph, one of those jaw dropping moments.
The set has an ISF based picture "wizard", now it won't be "ISF" adjusted if you follow the wizard, but the results will be silly good, anyway. YOU can save one scheme in "expert1"
and another in "expert 2". There is also a one touch button that cycles through "cinema",
"sports", and "game". Worthless, basically. Theres a "simple" manual" with a two button push, and the menu system has a Windows 7 "areo" look, and is very fast. Zoom is
not an afterthought, you can fit material easily with several adjustments. Nice.
And the picture? GREAT. Red has always been a problem for video, either over boosted
or dull. THE RED ON THIS SET is exelent, which leads to great browns and flesh tones.
And subtle lighting differences are easily discernable. SD is the best I have seen,
and even more amazing differences in light and shadow in SD are also easily detected.
Really looks good. At the other end of the spectrum, BLU is simply incredible ,
weather 24p movie material or 60hz video.
Not everybody will like the type picture that this set produces, but bad red hues has spoiled many a set for me, this is the best I HAVE SEEN, everything looks like a
moving photograph. And response time is fast, no fast action breakup, so far.
This is a sophisticated set intended for serious viewing . It was going to be an interim
watcher until things straightened out, but it might just be a keeper.
NOW if it is just as reliable as it is a good performer.:1: