Uher 4000 Report Monitor Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Uher 4000 Report Monitor Question

Technoblockhead
11-15-2010, 08:45 AM
Hello,
Question: does the Uher 4000 (mono) portable reel to reel deck use a felt pressure pad for the playback head? The mechanism indicates like it should, but is missing (see pic attachment). I recently acquired one of these decks and need to sort through various issues with the machine. Does anyone know were parts such as the mentioned above and others could be had for this model? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Technoblockhead

Technoblockhead
11-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Also noted with this machine is that the play button will not latch down when pressed. When internally (backside of keys) a flat white plastic plate is pressed on, the key latches. Question: is there a coil pressure spring that might have broke or popped off? I found a small black spring about 1/4 dia, 1/4 long that was loose inside the unit. When the play key is engaged it appears to latch and unlatch as would expect. However in play mode the pressure from the stepped cone which drives the flywheel (capstan) creates a scraping/scrubbing noise. Does this mean the rubber on this capstan's flywheel is wore down and/or lost it's elasticity? The play button really has to be pressed all the way down for the drive to transfer, when it is, it does work. The tape plays regardless of possible missing head pressure pad. The unit rewinds and fast forwards nicely and brake clutching seems to be working. The pause key does not appear to have any spring to it's operation, even if the key only operates a microswitch, shouldn't it still be spring loaded? If anyone has in-depth knowledge of the Uher 4000 series report monitor that they would share, it would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Technoblockhead

Technoblockhead
11-16-2010, 07:46 PM
Follow up: did some research into the noisy drive in playback mode problem. Source indicated that the Capstan Flywheel rubber wears down and/or becomes hard and this causes the noise at the friction drive point. The capstan drive torque does seem very weak. I guess I will keep checking eBay for one of these capstan units. Strange as it sounds, after cleaning and after a light sanding the play button will stay down if pressed carefully. The pause button appears to pause play mode but not record mode for some reason (more research needed). Still haven't a clue where the broken spring peice came from.