Sub Foop [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sub Foop

noddin0ff
11-15-2010, 05:32 AM
I really don't know as much about my sub as I should. Hence, it's been having 'issues' for a while now and I've tried to ignore it. But, it seems to be bugging me more recently. It's a Dayton 12" Titanic MKIII Sub that I got a few years ago on one of the Parts Express eBay auctions. It was a return and thus could have had a problem with it from the start. I received it fully assembled and have never opened it up. And, I've had this problem from the start it just seems more common now.

Basically, it makes thunking 'foop' noises when it has to go loud. I guess that this is due to too much excursion. What I don't know is if the problem is something wrong with the speaker, or something wrong with my expectations. For music, I don't have a problem. I would have to listen too uncomfortably loud to get the problem with the music I listen to. Movies, however... Watching Avatar the other day and every time one of those metal walkers put its foot down...rumble.foop.foop.rumble.

So, basically, I'm looking for diagnostic advice and/or reality check. I recently reconfigured my system for a new AV receiver. The Denon AVR-591 as Audyssey MultEQ, and I figured I'd let the 591 figure things out. (Not knowing for sure what kind of EQ it can really do for the sub.). But now it seems to thunk more. I've got the frequency pass open and essentially no attenuation of any frequency bands. Volume wise, if anyone is familiar with this sub, it's set at about 10 o'clock--far from maxed out. I could try some low frequency tones and pull out the SPL meter?

Would a speaker replacement would give me more room for noise without sacrifice, or is that a waste of effort? Do I need to filter something specific? Or maybe there are just limits and I'm at them. Those are the questions I'm rolling around.

Appreciate help to direct my troubleshooting...

harley .guy07
11-20-2010, 06:17 PM
to me the problem sounds like it is in the amplifier not the driver. The plate amp that this sub comes with has overload protection to prevent driver damage when amp clips or gets driven past its ability. To me it sounds like this protection circuitry is kicking in prematurely and causing this sound to happen. But I have not heard it for myself nor do I know how loud you play your system. With music I would think that you would not be playing the sub as loud and with music the bass information is not as intense as with a blue ray soundtrack that has its own bass only channel that goes to the sub and is quite a but more dynamic than normal music. I have heard of this before but not with this brand of sub and really the only way to fix this issue would be to order a replacement plate amp from parts express or another supplier if you want to keep the sub. I would say that doing tests and so forth would be a good idea before taking any direct action but this would be my opinion as to what the issue is without actually looking and hearing this unit.

harley .guy07
11-20-2010, 10:41 PM
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-807

This is the amp that should be the one that your sub needs

noddin0ff
11-23-2010, 04:20 AM
Thanks, harley. That plate looks familiar. I'll have to get behind the sub to see if that's the one that's on there. It probably is the sub out for movies, I don't usually have the problem with music, even the bass heavy music. I'll have to take some time and do some tweaking I suppose.

Poultrygeist
11-23-2010, 05:35 AM
Check to make sure it's well sealed in the baffle and not loose. You can pull the woofer and test it.

noddin0ff
11-23-2010, 07:59 AM
Hi Poultrygeist, I'm not a DIYer of experience. How would I go about checking the seal?