plan to upgrade, need ideas [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : plan to upgrade, need ideas

ShikikanZero
11-13-2010, 08:39 PM
I'm gonna be moving soon and want to take this chance to get some new speakers. my current rig is my PC with a audigy 2 card connected SPDIF to a Sony STR-DG720 amp. the speakers connected to those are those insignia bookshelf's with the weird cabinet design with the tweeter in the middle of the cone. my headphones are Sony V6's connected straight to the headphone jack on the Sony amp. wanting to lose the amp, i was thinking of buying active studio monitors, and my choices were either the m-audio BX5a, audioengine 5, or the KRK RP5's. but I'm also open to other ideas even different passive speakers with a different amp. or even if the best idea is to just keep what i got already. what I'm going to be using them for is mostly music, and then movies/games. most of the time i use the headphones for the games though. the music comes first. i listen anywhere from concert band compositions to hard rock/metal and some jazz. i really don't need all the video features on the amp i have like HDMI switching (although i AM using it and it will be slightly missed) and all the multiple A/V in's. the only things that will be plugged into the speakers is the PC and a PS3. my budget is around $200.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a303/CommanderZero/_MG_6362.jpg

this is a old picture but it still shows the PC, speakers and amp that i have.

thanks for any input!

Ajani
11-13-2010, 08:45 PM
I've only tried (owned and eventually gave to my brother) the M-Audio BX5A of the speakers you mentioned.... I have no hesitation in recommending it... Very good quality, affordable and space saving (compared to passive speakers and an amp)... For a computer setup, I'd recommend either active speakers like the M-Audios or headphones...

Poultrygeist
11-14-2010, 02:09 PM
I would suggest trying this very popular $99 T-amp with your Insignias before buying new speakers. I have tried this combination with good results. It should sound much better than any self powered speakers. The Insignias are about as good as anything out there for $100.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-383&source=googleps

Ajani
11-14-2010, 03:24 PM
I have no idea how that Dayton amp sounds, but it sure is cute... and really powerful for a cheap Class T... 50 watts instead of the usual 10

bfalls
11-15-2010, 06:55 AM
I had a pair of the Insignias you're talking about. Great value for the design features. However I found they were not very efficient. As suggested, they may do better with a more robust amp.

poppachubby
11-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Frankly I think the best upgrade you can do would be an external dac. Listening as near field as you are, I see no need for more power and your speakers are quality enough. Given the fact that your budget is only $200, you should be researching external dacs. My experience with Sony amps is that they're internal conversion is usually bright and frankly, offensive. You will get more musicality with the right unit.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1294547094

Poultrygeist
11-15-2010, 02:19 PM
On the contrary, the Insignias at 90 db sensitivity are efficient speakers and with the Dayton amp they will play very loud.

Mr Peabody
11-15-2010, 08:08 PM
I have the smaller Audio Engine and they are excellent. They are hooked up to my daughter's computer and I have been impressed with the sound. Just wanted to comment in case you still decide to go with amplified speakers.

Are you using a subwoofer? Maybe your current set up just needs some tweaking and a sub to fill in some bottom end. Have you tried using a digital connection from the computer to the Sony to see if the receiver's DAC is an improvement over the computer sound card? Does the receiver have a "direct mode" for stereo listening? A good choice if only two speakers. Have you played with the sound fields to see if one is better than the other?

poppachubby
11-16-2010, 04:23 AM
He's running the digital from the card to the Sony which means the Sony is doing the converting. I'm pretty sure that version of Audigy is unable to convert to analog out.

I have heard three different Sony receivers from 2 generations and they are terribly unmusical.

poppachubby
11-16-2010, 04:26 AM
On the contrary, the Insignias at 90 db sensitivity are efficient speakers and with the Dayton amp they will play very loud.

Why does he need loud? Look where he is sitting Poultry, it's nearer than near field. IMO the Sony can be relied on to drive the speakers, he just needs to divert the responsibility of conversion AWAY from the Sony.

Poultrygeist
11-16-2010, 04:47 AM
Here's are some mods for the Insignias that can take them to another level. If you do nothing else using Durham's or Dynamat on the insides of the cabs will upgrade the sound. These speakers are similar to KEF's.

http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=132

audio amateur
11-16-2010, 05:30 AM
Not many amps are going to have toslink optical inputs... and I don't know about pluging the ps3 into a DAC...
Frankly for 200 bucks you certainly wont get anything better than what you have. If anything i'd simply add rear speakers for surround sound if you dont have those already.