Jump into the Fire...VPI 16.5 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Jump into the Fire...VPI 16.5

poppachubby
11-13-2010, 04:43 AM
Hey everyone. I guess I will start by updating my fellow audio brothers on a couple of things.

First of all, I am sure some of you are wondering how it is that I am hemmoraging cash at a warp speed rate. Well...I did not win a lottery. I actually switched jobs, more specifically, i was stolen. I now know how these CEO's feel. I got a small "package" on the way out, and a really nice signing bonus at my new digs.

Now, the second part of recent developments is that my wife is pregnant yet again :crazy: (I know). After putting cash into all of the usual places a young family does, I decided to budget some for the last "push".

Since I actually have a plan, I could see how far I was from completion. After this...I AM DONE!! The problem will be, if I upgrade any one component, the synergy will be toppled. Besides, I'm not sure I have the cash to move any further in this hobby. I think I have reached my plateau.

So, I have a couple of things left to pick up. After that, the question becomes...what do you get the guy who has it all?

You got it...a record cleaning machine. I have finally crossed that "line" and feel I am ready to buy one. Up to this point, I could never part with the cash. I want a VPI 16.5. So after all of that rappin', I guess what I want to know is how you guys feel about it.

Talk me out of it, talk me into it. Maybe another avenue? One thing is for sure, I am absolutely sick of hand cleaning. I have some LPs which I know would benefit from the machine. They are perfect, undamaged...yet don't sound clean. Deep cleaning is the answer.

Nitty Gritty has some nice offerings, but I like the idea of the LP resting fully on a full sized platter.

dakatabg
11-13-2010, 09:25 AM
Congrats for the pregnant wife Popa! What do you want a boy or a girl?

Congrats for the new job or promotion you got! It is good when only good things are happening!

I just checked the VPI 16.5 and it looks great to me! Buy it and forget about cleaning the records yourself!

frenchmon
11-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Good for you my man!

First...congrats on the new addition to the family....teach him or her the art of audio.

Second...congrats on the new gig. We can always use the extra cash.

Third...maybe Peabody will chime in here about the VPI record cleaner. If memory serves me right, MrP said the thing was really noisy.

Lastly....new gig....new addition...new and moded gear....I think this is your time...yeah....you the man.

Mingus
11-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Congrats on your future new baby and your new job. Best of luck for you and your family.

poppachubby
11-13-2010, 05:59 PM
Third...maybe Peabody will chime in here about the VPI record cleaner. If memory serves me right, MrP said the thing was really noisy.

Yes they are notoriously noisy. Thanks for the love...

JohnMichael
11-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Should we call you Poppa x3? Gee and I thought you spent all your time posting. Congrats on the future addition. I always wanted a little girl. I was afraid if I had a boy he would like sports. Oh and when he began dating girls I would have to have my younger brother give him advice.

Wow a record cleaning machine, good for you, go for it. If I bought a lot of used records I would want one. Being old I have a lot of vinyl already. I am going to order that $80.00 dollar unit and if I am impressed I may invest more.

Right now I am impressed by my new maple stand and the improvements it has made to my system.

Mr Peabody
11-13-2010, 07:08 PM
I believe I read some where that VPI made some mods so that the machine was quieter now. The 16.5 does an excellent job of cleaning. Some LP's get those small scratches that cause pops and there's nothing to do about that. It has a strong motor. I've had mine for several years now and it's worked great.

frenchmon
11-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Should we call you Poppa x3? Gee and I thought you spent all your time posting. Congrats on the future addition. I always wanted a little girl. I was afraid if I had a boy he would like sports. Oh and when he began dating girls I would have to have my younger brother give him advice.

Wow a record cleaning machine, good for you, go for it. If I bought a lot of used records I would want one. Being old I have a lot of vinyl already. I am going to order that $80.00 dollar unit and if I am impressed I may invest more.

Right now I am impressed by my new maple stand and the improvements it has made to my system.

Nice stand JM....as well as a handsome looking system....clean lines. Whats that on the lower right? Looks like a CDP? Or perhaps your Onkyo? I don't see it in your sig.

JohnMichael
11-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Nice stand JM....as well as a handsome looking system....clean lines. Whats that on the lower right? Looks like a CDP? Or perhaps your Onkyo? I don't see it in your sig.

On top to the left is the Marantz SA 8001 and on the right is my Frankenrega with the Gram Amp 3 in the center. On the lower shelf to the left is the Sony cd recorder/changer and on the right is the Krell S-300i integrated amp. The weight and stability of the stand really helped improve the sound more than I thought a stand might. Lots of maple and Amish woodworking skills along with a cherry stain created that stand. Thanks for the compliment.

Oh and now I have drawers for all those small audio accessories.

rakeford
11-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Congrates, Congrates, Congrates, PoppaC.

I'm interested in a vacuum RCM too. Hope you don't mind if I listen in.

Goodluck in all your endeavors.

tube fan
11-19-2010, 09:03 PM
PC, the VPI is excellent. I have been using mine for over a decade. BTW, you get my vote for the most interesting poster here.

JohnMichael
11-19-2010, 09:07 PM
PC, the VPI is excellent. I have been using mine for over a decade. BTW, you get my vote for the most interesting poster here.

He does have a certain je ne sais quoi!

tube fan
11-19-2010, 09:20 PM
PC would be a lot of fun to hang with. IMO, this hobby is about having fun, and I doubt many can match PC in the fun quotient!

barbarian
11-19-2010, 10:21 PM
ˇfelicidades on the new baby! cleaning all that junk by hand must be brutal, you owe it to yourself and your 8th cranial nerve to purchase a professional cleaner. it'd be neat for you to post a few "before" and "after" cleaning samples, specially of your dirtiest grooves. ˇhasta luego!

poppachubby
11-20-2010, 05:11 AM
Thanks guys!! I hope to have the VPI within the next week or so...

frenchmon
11-20-2010, 06:33 AM
Thanks guys!! I hope to have the VPI within the next week or so...

Hey PC...seems like you got an endless supply of coin over there...so if you want you can get two and send one this way.:smilewinkgrin:

On the real tho....once again congrats my man.

frenchmon
11-20-2010, 06:50 AM
On top to the left is the Marantz SA 8001 and on the right is my Frankenrega with the Gram Amp 3 in the center. On the lower shelf to the left is the Sony cd recorder/changer and on the right is the Krell S-300i integrated amp. The weight and stability of the stand really helped improve the sound more than I thought a stand might. Lots of maple and Amish woodworking skills along with a cherry stain created that stand. Thanks for the compliment.

Oh and now I have drawers for all those small audio accessories.

Yeah I know what you mean by weight and stability improving the sound. Every bit of your gear including the stand is a factor in the sound.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7539/pict0081w.jpg (http://img225.imageshack.us/i/pict0081w.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

rakeford
11-20-2010, 06:51 AM
+10

poppachubby rocks!

Enochrome
11-22-2010, 10:02 AM
Late getting to this thread...

Congrats Poppa!! Love hearing good news that happen to good people!!!

Hows the Nagaoka treating you? What music is it really singing on?

poppachubby
11-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Late getting to this thread...

Congrats Poppa!! Love hearing good news that happen to good people!!!

Hows the Nagaoka treating you? What music is it really singing on?

Thanks man! The real question is how is YOUR Nag? I love just about everything I play on it, but guitars and high frequency horns like trumpets are incredible. It also does vocals exceptionally well, not just sonically but in presentation.

hifitommy
11-28-2010, 09:00 AM
of all places to find something of actual use is 'sound and vision' magazine. that is where i found info in the okki nokki rcm. distrubuted through sumiko, see these links for this affordable but seemingly formidable device.

http://www.sumikoaudio.net/okki_nokki/idx_products.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p9Q-zxFKR0&feature=related

basite
11-28-2010, 09:30 AM
PC would be a lot of fun to hang with. IMO, this hobby is about having fun, and I doubt many can match PC in the fun quotient!

oh, amen to that :)

Congrats Poppa! sure it'll be a wonderful kid :)

and I've been longing for a good cleaning machine too, I have a "disco antistat" cleaner, which is VERY similar to the "machine" JM wants to try. a simple bath for your record with 2 brushes inside, through which you turn the record...

It makes a huge difference on dirty uncleaned records, but recently, I had a chance to clean some of my more precious records with a friend's Loricraft RCM...
needless to say I want one now :biggrin5: but the darned things are so expensive!

anyway, the VPI is an excellent machine, and they last a lifetime!
congrats! (again)

Regards,
Bert.

JoeE SP9
11-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Congratulations on your good fortune PC. That RCM hifitommy posted about may be worth investigating.

jrhymeammo
12-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Congrats!!

You should be set for at least 20 years on this unit.