I may have a new favorite CD for 2010. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I may have a new favorite CD for 2010.

Swish
11-12-2010, 01:37 PM
I finally got Deer Hunter's Halcyon Digest after ordering from DeepDiscount.com weeks ago. Not sure what held it up, but it was worth the wait.

This was self-produced, with a little help from Ben Allen, and it's quite different from their previous records. The sound is very clean, including the vocals, which is quite a contrast to the style on Cryptograms. They used to have lots of crunchy guitars and, well, noise I guess. Not that I didn't like that, but I like this much, much more.

Whatever description I'm lacking, this is freakin' sweet! I've spun it 4 times already and I don't want it to end. Not one clunker in the 11 tracks. Anybody else digging this?

Rae
11-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Deep Discount is still around? I haven't thought about that in a long time. I guess a diet of mostly vinyl + Amazon Prime for those few exceptions will do that to you.

~Rae

jonnyhambone
11-12-2010, 08:48 PM
yea, took awhile to grow on me honestly but I'm really diggin' it now. A lot more sixties and doowopin' feel to it than previous stuff...wear's his record collection a bit more on his sleeve for this one. I just saw them a couple weeks ago and it really turned this album around for me - to see them performed live...an awesome show. I think I still like the earlier ones overall - more atmospheric and noisy but with the pop-gem moments under it all. This one's a nicer listen..see 'em if you get the chance.

LeRoy
11-13-2010, 06:35 AM
I've bookmarked the site. I had no idea that site existed till I read your post. Thanks for sharing and enjoy the music.

LeRoy

Swish
11-13-2010, 08:09 AM
Deep Discount is still around? I haven't thought about that in a long time. I guess a diet of mostly vinyl + Amazon Prime for those few exceptions will do that to you.

~Rae

..but axed the cd in the name, and they offer a lot more than cds. They have a 'free shipping' option on every order, even if it's just one cd, so I always opt for that, and most new releases are less than $13 with no tax. The only issue is the shipping can take 2 or 3 weeks in some cases, like it did for this Deerhunter cd. I don't really care all that much as I never have to have new music RIGHT NOW. I'd rather save the few bucks.

Rae
11-13-2010, 08:14 AM
Yeah but do they got REKKIDS?

~Rae

Swish
11-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Yeah but do they got REKKIDS?

~Rae

Look under Music and then LPs (REKKIDS). Not a huge selection, but they do have some. DVDs too. Lots of 'em. I don't often have to look elsewhere for cds either, although I do have to hit Amazon on rare occasion.

Jim Clark
11-18-2010, 06:17 AM
I've been listening to that disc for a couple of weeks now and I enjoy it too. If I had purchased it on vinyl, side 2 would be my favorite by far. There's some great stuff on that disc. Looking like a top 10 for me right now.

jc