anyone interested in doing a RR mixtape secret santa thing? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : anyone interested in doing a RR mixtape secret santa thing?

Rae
11-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Yes, yes, before you rebuke me-- I'm well aware that I've bailed mid-comp-project in the past. I'm trying to get better.

I'm thinking something where you make a mix for whomever you draw-- something that is tailored somewhat toward their tastes (based on their past posts) but also has enough of yr own personality in it that they'd have a reasonable chance to guess who you might be. Folks could specify whether they want hard copies mailed to them or just something they could download (and then Slosh could walk us through how to actually do that). I'd be willing to facilitate if there's any interest.

?

~Rae

ForeverAutumn
11-12-2010, 01:05 PM
Yes, yes, before you rebuke me-- I'm well aware that I've bailed mid-comp-project in the past. I'm trying to get better.

LMAO! That was my very first reaction when I saw the subject line and who had posted it. You know us too well! :lol:

I'm thinking something where you make a mix for whomever you draw-- something that is tailored somewhat toward their tastes (based on their past posts) but also has enough of yr own personality in it that they'd have a reasonable chance to guess who you might be. Folks could specify whether they want hard copies mailed to them or just something they could download (and then Slosh could walk us through how to actually do that). I'd be willing to facilitate if there's any interest.

?

~Rae

It's an interesting idea, it just sounds like a lot of work and I'm not sure that I have the time to do it. If there's enough interest, I'll consider it.

Swish
11-15-2010, 06:10 AM
That went over like a lead balloon, but I think it's a great idea.

Stone
11-15-2010, 06:54 AM
I'll get on it right after we finish that Lucksmiths comp.

ForeverAutumn
11-15-2010, 06:55 AM
You can count me in, so that makes 3 of us (yawn).

You know what that means Swish? I get to pick your name and send you a comp. Why don't I save myself the trouble and just forward you a set of coasters.

:D

Rae
11-15-2010, 07:04 AM
I'll get on it right after we finish that Lucksmiths comp.

Hahaha, touché.

~Rae

3LB
11-15-2010, 10:32 AM
oh, I may as well throw my name in the box

Rae
11-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Okay, here's what I'm going to do:

I just set up an Elfter exchange to manage this. If you want to participate, sign up by the end of the month by creating an Elfster account and visiting this link:

http://www.elfster.com/exchange/view/4159515/8cb2fc/

I'll draw names December 1st. If only a handful of folks have signed up by then, we'll just call the whole thing off.

~Rae

Stone
11-16-2010, 12:42 PM
There are only a handful of people that post on this site anymore.

3LB
11-16-2010, 01:26 PM
an Elfster account? is this some kind of cult?

will I need to give them a credit card number?

awe man, this just smacks of effort

;)

3LB
11-16-2010, 01:37 PM
There are only a handful of people that post on this site anymore.
we could post this over on the OT or FF forums (but absolutely NOT the cable or tweaks forums). Plenty of people elswhere, like Adam, John and George Michael, Sir Terrence The Terrier, Boobstyx, Audionoob, Heywood Djahblomie and others that might (might) have some decent music to share, if they haven't blown their budget on isolation cones and green markers.:dita:

Slosh
11-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Mine's done. I made it just for you, Rae :rolleyes:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=35394

ForeverAutumn
11-16-2010, 04:25 PM
Heywood Djahblomie

No way man, that guy's a total loser.

Stone
11-17-2010, 05:53 AM
green markers.

It's been years since I've even read the audiophile pages on this site or any other site, but for some reason I was just thinking about the use of green markers (on the rim of CDs) the other day for some reason, even though I've never tried it. Strange you brought it up.

3LB
11-17-2010, 06:48 AM
It's been years since I've even read the audiophile pages on this site or any other site, but for some reason I was just thinking about the use of green markers (on the rim of CDs) the other day for some reason, even though I've never tried it. Strange you brought it up.Be sure to degauss your CDs first, then freeze them, then use the green marker... in that order or it won't work.

(do I really have to insert a 'winky' here?)

Stone
11-17-2010, 08:17 AM
Haha, I'll get right on it. I'll buy a case of green markers and empty the unimportant stuff, like food, out of my freezer.

Rae
11-29-2010, 02:02 PM
I think I'm gonna bring the axe down on this one for lack of interest. A couple of folks expressed mild interest but only noddin0ff actually signed up. For his time he's gonna get a mix made by me. Maybe we can try to do one all together next year?

~Rae

Swish
11-29-2010, 04:54 PM
I think I'm gonna bring the axe down on this one for lack of interest. A couple of folks expressed mild interest but only noddin0ff actually signed up. For his time he's gonna get a mix made by me. Maybe we can try to do one all together next year?

~Rae

I didn't know, or wasn't paying attention. I'm in if anybody still wants to do this. Heck, I may just send some out anyhoot.

atomicAdam
11-29-2010, 05:08 PM
I'll put my hat in.

How/who is going to draw/match names?

Rae
11-29-2010, 06:50 PM
Welllll... if you guys are still, in, sign up for Elfster in the next 24 hours and then visit this link to get in the draw:

http://www.elfster.com/exchange/view/4159515/8cb2fc/

~Rae

noddin0ff
11-29-2010, 07:00 PM
I didn't know I was going to be the first & only to sign up! How embarrassing. I feel like I sneezed on the buffet table and now nobody wants to load up.

Well, looks like I win something anyway. Prize for worst costume or not, I'm looking forward to a comp. Might finally be able to attach some sounds to the stream of unrecognized album covers showing up on the spinning thread. :)

I've got my 2010 comp nearly ready and might pull off a bonus comp is some inspiration strikes. I'll go over here and hang it under the (gender neutral) mistletoe and see who's bold enough to step up. :prrr:

Rae
11-29-2010, 08:17 PM
The platonic mistletoe.

~Rae

Rae
11-29-2010, 08:17 PM
The mistlebroe!

~Rae

Rae
11-30-2010, 11:51 AM
bbbump! Swish is in. Sign up by the end of the day!

~Rae

Slosh
11-30-2010, 01:41 PM
I've got my 2010 comp nearly ready and might pull off a bonus comp is some inspiration strikes. I'll go over here and hang it under the (gender neutral) camel toe and see who's bold enough to step up. :prrr:Fixed :p

I intended to make a part II. Got more than enough material. Problem is I don't like very much of it.

JDaniel
11-30-2010, 05:14 PM
We could just mail back the person a copy of one of their own comps they made years ago probably haven't listened to in years and probably forgot they made in the first place.

I'm just sayin... :out:

Swish
11-30-2010, 07:18 PM
We could just mail back the person a copy of one of their own comps they made years ago probably haven't listened to in years and probably forgot they made in the first place.

I'm just sayin... :out:

...six months, and this is the best he can come up with? :p

3LB
12-01-2010, 08:59 AM
I'm always on my cellphone and can't get on that Elfster site. I'll try to get to a PC today sometime.

noddin0ff
12-01-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm not sure I want to see a gender neutral camel toe...

Rae
12-02-2010, 05:00 AM
I'm always on my cellphone and can't get on that Elfster site. I'll try to get to a PC today sometime.

As soon as 3LB has a chance to sign up, I'll draw names!

~Rae

atomicAdam
12-02-2010, 12:11 PM
shoot - you drew too fast - i want to sign up

sorry - i would have done earlier but been so busy - you know - listening to new gear!!! LOL - i'm a bastard.

Rae
12-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Oh! I guess it automatically drew. I must've set that to happen at some point. Oh well. All y'all got a whole year to get excited for the next one.

~Rae

Rae
12-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Oh hey, I got a sweet Secret Santa mix from noddin0ff today! And it's actually really good! Much more cohesive than the one I sent out. nod does a great job at sustaining a mood even as the mix moves between some disparate artists from Sun Ra to Son Volt or Mudhoney to the Circulatory System. Some old favorites of mine like the Tom Waits song mingle with stuff that's unfamiliar but great-sounding like the William Parker Quartet or Cold War Kids. Some of the roots-funk stuff like Galactic or Medeski Martin & Wood isn't really my bag (oh yeah, and there's some Zappa on here too, because of course there is) but overall this is surprisingly in tune with my sensibilities. Nice job, buddy! This is going to get some regular spins.

~Rae

noddin0ff
12-23-2010, 06:39 AM
Glad you like it. I have to admit, it turned out far better than I expected. Somewhere along the way I scanned the collection of artists and thought to myself, "Are you nuts?". But, there's no accounting for taste. ;-) I actually didn't give it a good listen myself until I sent it off to you. I was pleasantly surprised when I did. Wish I knew how to put in some decent cross-fades, though. I'll probably put the link up for general consumption before the New Year.

In a similar vein, I've been giving the RR SS comp. (Swish version) some solid spins this morning. Lots of unknowns on there for me which I'll have to investigate further (Deer Hunter, Augie March, Magnolia Elec Co., Guster, Three Mile Pilot, e.g.). Even the knowns were put in a nice context. And, some excellent sequencing; I'm jealous of thy skills. Tracks just lilted along. Thanks!

noddin0ff
01-04-2011, 08:31 AM
I just put my SS Mix to Rae up as a flac download on fileserve. It can be grabbed for the next 60 days.

Noddin's Odd Grooves (flac)
http://www.fileserve.com/file/mzN3fsX

the Apple Lossless version is here
http://www.fileserve.com/file/qhFN5NV

hope others enjoy it.