Pangea PC-9 Power Cord [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pangea PC-9 Power Cord

emaidel
11-12-2010, 05:15 AM
I have to admit that I've been skeptical that a power cord could make any difference in the sound of an audio system, but the prices and appearance of the various Pangea models available at Audio Advisor caught my interest.

The PC-9 is super-thick (actually, according to Pangea, 7-guage and not the 9 guage their literature states), and pretty hefty too. The 1.5 meter cable I purchased was quite heavy. At a price of only $75 - an incredible bargain, considering the multi-thousand dollar prices for many AudioQuest power cords - and with a 30-day returrn policy, I figured, what the heck?

So? Does it work? Absolutely YES, and quite well too! The claims are that the PC-9 is best mated to a "high-current" amp, which mine is (the Adcom GFA-5800),. My speakers (slightly modified Dahlquist DQ-10's) gobble up both high current and power easily.

The differences? First, dynamics. When music gets loud, as most symphonic music does, it gets really LOUD, and a good deal louder than before. I've had to back off on the volume control several times during some listening trials. Second, everything has a smoother, less restrained sound, with a very significant improvement in bass response (quite an accomplishment, since the power cord isn't connected in any way to my suboowfer, but is only involved with the DQ-10's whose bass response was never anything to write home about). In a nutshell, music now sounds less compressed, though I didn't think it sounded compressed before

Is the difference night and day? No, but it's easy to detect. The dynamics of an orchestra, specifically much of the 3rd and 4th movements of Bruckner's 4th on a BIS SACD, have never sounded so good. Fortunately, it isn't just louder, but smoother and more lifelike too.

I suspect several will think I'm nuts, and that a power cord couldn't possibly make any difference. To those who may feel that way, I have but one suggestion: buy one yourself: it isn't expensive, and if you don't think it makes any difference, you can get your money back. So, you can't lose by trying. My guess is that, if anyone does buy one of these, who doesn't already own some super-expensive model from some other manufacturer, that person will keep the PC-9.

Highly recommended.

Mr Peabody
11-12-2010, 08:03 PM
I do have some other power cords I found effective. I've heard good things about the Pangean cords and it's good to hear your experience. If you can replace the cord on your CDP or phono stage you will really hear a benefit, the improvement I found more noticeable than on my power amp.

LeRoy
11-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Emaidel,

Thanks for posting you review of this product. I've wondered about the Pangea power cord for some time. Glad to know its working quite well for you.

LeRoy

emaidel
11-13-2010, 04:02 AM
[QUOTE If you can replace the cord on your CDP or phono stage you will really hear a benefit, the improvement I found more noticeable than on my power amp.[/QUOTE]

My next planned purchase is a different Pangea cord, designed specifically for either source material (like CD and SACD players) and/or preamps. The cable is a good deal less bulky than the PC-9, and is also less expensive.

Since my wife hates it each time I purchase another "tweak," it'll be a little while before I make these purchases though!

LeRoy
11-13-2010, 07:22 AM
Well, I just placed the order for a PC-9. I was on the fence between the Pangea or the mains lead from Rega. I'll probably get the Rega power cord later since it's got my curiosity but for now the Pangea is en route.

edit: I've been utilizing the Wire World Aurora power cords for my sources and amplification needs. I'm eager to see what difference the Pangea adds or subtracts to the mix.

frenchmon
11-13-2010, 08:31 AM
Hmmmm. You guys got my attention now....as I have to be wondering about the power cords. I think a purchase is in order for me now. Thanks.

frenchmon
11-13-2010, 11:02 AM
...sells the Pangea a little cheaper than AA but he does not have any in stock. But I did place an order with him so mine should be here next week.

emaidel
11-13-2010, 12:38 PM
I'd be very interested to hear what you guys think of the Pangea PC-9, once those you've ordered arrive. I have no other comparison for the PC-9 than to the stock power cord that came on the Adcom GFA-5800, which was fairly substantial to begin with, though nowhere hear as enormous as the PC-9. I did use that Adcom stock cable on my Marantz SA-8001 SACD player to replace the stock cable that came with it, and noticed a subtle improvement, so at least that power cord didn't go to waste. That is, of course, until I buy another Pangea cord...

Now, several days later, I'm still mightily impressed with the improvements the PC-9 has made, but have to state that the one that is the most substantial is the imrpovement in dynamics. On many a disc, I have to turn the volume down, as the music is so much louder, that it's downright uncomfortable!

Of course, the "surpreme" test is whether or not my wife hears any difference, as she usually thinks my replacing cables, power cords, etc., is silly. And, yes, she DID hear a difference!

LeRoy
11-13-2010, 01:28 PM
the "Supreme" cable..:)

LeRoy
11-19-2010, 05:34 AM
Emaidel, thanks for blazing the Pangea trail. I got my Pangea AC-9 yesterday and the thing really made a difference in my system. I connected the AC9 to the Belles Soloist amp and immediately I heard I darker background in the music plus bass I never knew the system was capable of delivering. Said another way, until I put the AC9 into service my Belles, Musical Fidelity X-Ray, and Canton GLE 403's were simply missing low end depth and fullness.

So, first thing this morning...I've already placed another order for an AC9 so I can use that on the Rega Brio 3. Also, I've ordered 3 of the AC-14SE power cords to put into service with the XRAY and Stello units. Additionally, I ordered the Pangea C7 power cord for my Marantz DVD/CD player for H.T.

I am now going to redirect the Wire World Aurora 52's to the H.T. system, Arcam and RBH sub woofer. The Pangea AC9 power cord is a no-brainer product and the idea of a Pangea system of power cabling was too good to pass up especially at the price point.

LeRoy

Edit: Here is the link to AA.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=25&pagenumber=3&sort_on=title&sort_by=

Luvin Da Blues
11-19-2010, 06:14 AM
Well emaidel, you have sparked an interest in me to trying these also. I can't seem to find a PC-9 on the site, did you mean an AC-9 like LeRoy stated?

emaidel
11-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Well emaidel, you have sparked an interest in me to trying these also. I can't seem to find a PC-9 on the site, did you mean an AC-9 like LeRoy stated?

You're right, and I stand corrected. Check the post just before yours for the link to buy one.

emaidel
11-19-2010, 02:51 PM
I heard I darker background in the music plus bass I never knew the system was capable of delivering. LeRoy

I noticed the same thing, but what I find so amazing is that I'm using the AC-9 on my power amp that's driving my Dahlquist DQ-10's, and it is in no way connected to my subwoofer! While my DQ-10's have been modified in several different ways, all I did with the woofers was have them rebuilt several years back, just restoring them to their original performance specs, and as most of us know, the bass response of a DQ-10 isn't anything to write home about.

I also plan to replace the power cords in my preamp and SACD player with Pangea cords, but not until my wife gets over my having bought the AC-9. She's really not that into tweaking, as I am, and asked me, "When does it stop?" My response? "Never."

Luvin Da Blues
11-19-2010, 05:26 PM
You're right, and I stand corrected. Check the post just before yours for the link to buy one.

Thanks E, just wanted to make sure I order the right one. :2:

Luvin Da Blues
11-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Just placed an order for a 1.5m AC-9. Hope they don't ship with Fed Up, er I mean Fed Ex, to the Great White North!!!!

Luvin Da Blues
11-19-2010, 09:49 PM
What the hay, added a 3 pack of the 1.5m AC-14's to my order. they are on sale 3 for $110.00, regularly $112.50 each. This works out to less than $115.0 CDN right now.

Might as well see if this power cable thing is real. :) Certainly can't hurt to have decently shielded power cables and for this price what's to loose.

Mr Peabody
11-19-2010, 10:52 PM
This thread is scary :) Glad to see you guys trying for yourselves.

Luvin Da Blues
11-20-2010, 04:38 AM

:lol: You know what they say " when emaidel talks, people listen".

LeRoy
11-20-2010, 06:48 AM
I noticed the same thing, but what I find so amazing is that I'm using the AC-9 on my power amp that's driving my Dahlquist DQ-10's, and it is in no way connected to my subwoofer! While my DQ-10's have been modified in several different ways, all I did with the woofers was have them rebuilt several years back, just restoring them to their original performance specs, and as most of us know, the bass response of a DQ-10 isn't anything to write home about.

I also plan to replace the power cords in my preamp and SACD player with Pangea cords, but not until my wife gets over my having bought the AC-9. She's really not that into tweaking, as I am, and asked me, "When does it stop?" My response? "Never."

Hey, I recall drooling over the DQ 10's many times over back in the mid to late 70's. I used to think they were the coolest speakers I'd ever seen or heard though today I can't recall what they sounded like. Anyway, good to know you have a classic in you audio empire.

Well, its interesting that the AC9 is able to improve your overall all system sound and performance simply by being connected somewhere in the chain. Have you tried to connect "the thing" into any other part of the system to see if it has the same overall effect?

Stay thirsty my friend.

LeRoy

LeRoy
11-20-2010, 06:54 AM
What the hay, added a 3 pack of the 1.5m AC-14's to my order. they are on sale 3 for $110.00, regularly $112.50 each. This works out to less than $115.0 CDN right now.

Might as well see if this power cable thing is real. :) Certainly can't hurt to have decently shielded power cables and for this price what's to loose.

I agree it can't hurt at the price point. It should be interesting to see what the AC14's will do for overall system SQ.

I don't think I saw the special that you mentioned you bought into. I had my blinders on and simply went for the SE version and placed the order. I'll be interested to know what your impressions are on the whole effect of the Pangea power cable system in your rig.

LeRoy

E-Stat
11-20-2010, 07:00 AM
The value of aftermarket power cords was illustrated to me many years ago when a reviewer friend brought over his three Kimber Palladians and we auditioned them in my system. I got it. Despite the inability of the non-experiential theorists to imagine the kinds of differences power cords or power supplies can make, the improvements are real

rw

Luvin Da Blues
11-20-2010, 07:05 AM
I agree it can't hurt at the price point. It should be interesting to see what the AC14's will do for overall system SQ.

I don't think I saw the special that you mentioned you bought into. I had my blinders on and simply went for the SE version and placed the order. I'll be interested to know what your impressions are on the whole effect of the Pangea power cable system in your rig.

LeRoy

The special only applies to the AC-9's and the AC-14's, one would think that they could offer it for the SE's to. It also only applies to the 1.5 and 2.0 meter lengths. :crazy: Must of built up their stock of those too much.

I hope I have enough patience to try a cable on each component individually before I put them all in.

Cheers

Luvin Da Blues
11-20-2010, 07:10 AM
The value of aftermarket power cords was illustrated to me many years ago when a reviewer friend brought over his three Kimber Palladians and we auditioned them in my system. I got it. Despite the inability of the non-experiential theorists to imagine the kinds of differences power cords or power supplies can make, the improvements are real

rw

Kinda natural progression of building a system up over time. I liken it to good housekeeping after the components, speakers*, IC's and speaker cabling is looked after.

*I do need a speaker upgrade but that's going to be a lot bigger ticket item.

LeRoy
11-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Two words that keep coming into mind to describe the new SQ with the Pangea. First, vitality. The darker background and added bass depth simply make the music more energized in overall presentation. Second word, vividness. The Patricia Barber live recordings, Companion, and Live a Fortnight in France, which are both already very, very high SQ simply got even more vivid. Also, background music,voices, noises in recording are easily audible so the AC9 is somehow impacting resolution in the CD playback in a very positive manner.

I've not been able to detect a change in tonality or changes in mid or high end extension. It's all good. So, there it is in two words. Pangea AC9 in my system equals vitality and vividness added into my audio system.

Mr Peabody
11-20-2010, 07:39 PM
LeRoy, you describe the effect of better power cables very well. With the stock cord we don't notice the noise but with the after market cable cleaning it up you sure hear when it's gone.

Luvin Da Blues
11-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Two words that keep coming into mind to describe the new SQ with the Pangea. First, vitality. The darker background and added bass depth simply make the music more energized in overall presentation. Second word, vividness. The Patricia Barber live recordings, Companion, and Live a Fortnight in France, which are both already very, very high SQ simply got even more vivid. Also, background music,voices, noises in recording are easily audible so the AC9 is somehow impacting resolution in the CD playback in a very positive manner.

I've not been able to detect a change in tonality or changes in mid or high end extension. It's all good. So, there it is in two words. Pangea AC9 in my system equals vitality and vividness added into my audio system.

I'm glad your experiencing these results, I look forward to the same.

TheHills44060
11-28-2010, 07:03 AM
Agreed. Lookin for new power cords myself. I have been absolutely unimpressed with the PS audio cords I'm using now (possibly the worst audio purchase i have ever made) and want to replace them as soon as I can but don't want to shell out major cabbage. May have to give the Pangea's a try. Thanks for the info LeRoy.

Mr Peabody
11-28-2010, 12:37 PM
I usually hear good things about PS Audio, be sure to post back what happens with the Pangean.

TheHills44060
11-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Will do Peabody. To be honest I can't tell the difference between the stock power cables and the PS Audio's. I've tried to trick myself into liking them to avoid buyers remorse but it's not happening. Plus the darn things just don't fit the IEC receptacles on any of my equipment snug enought for me to consider acceptable.

Anyway, reading LeRoy's statements about the Pangea's are pretty encouraging.

LeRoy
11-29-2010, 05:47 AM
Agreed. Lookin for new power cords myself. I have been absolutely unimpressed with the PS audio cords I'm using now (possibly the worst audio purchase i have ever made) and want to replace them as soon as I can but don't want to shell out major cabbage. May have to give the Pangea's a try. Thanks for the info LeRoy.

You're welcome for the info. If you decide to get a Pangea power cord let us know how it turns out for you. Have a nice day.

LeRoy

Luvin Da Blues
11-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Well, I just inserted the PCs into the rig. Because it's difficult to get at the back, I decided to put them all in at once. I picked up one for the oppo DVD but it will need an adapter so I put that PC on the LCD for now. The system, except for the power amp, is run through a PureAV power conditioner.

I have only an hour or so on them but my initial thoughts are pretty much what LeRoy has stated, the bass notes just seem to be reproduced more effortlessly. I also hear more detailed micro-dynamics, background vocals and instruments are more precisely located and pronounced. Vivid while remaining neutral.

Most of us here know our systems very well so any small change to it is readily noticeable, I'm no different but I perceive these improvements to be more than a small subtle change.

Would I buy these again, you betcha!

frenchmon
11-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Good for you and a Bummer for me....I placed my order with my dealer here in St. Louis over 2 weeks ago, and still have not received mine. Emailed him Saturday only to find that the warehouse is out and they are waiting a new shipment.

LeRoy
11-29-2010, 08:15 PM
Most of us here know our systems very well so any small change to it is readily noticeable, I'm no different but I perceive these improvements to be more than a small subtle change.

Would I buy these again, you betcha!

I'm in total agreement with you. The improvements are quickly apparent with the Pangea.
I am still waiting for my second shipment to arrive.

Luvin Da Blues
11-30-2010, 05:28 AM
I'm in total agreement with you. The improvements are quickly apparent with the Pangea.
I am still waiting for my second shipment to arrive.

You certainly get a sense of the equipment 'breathing' easier now, no more gulping for air (current) through a straw (16 AWG stock cords). This is of course more apparent the lower the bass note.

I may order a couple more with the IEC to C7 adapter for the rest of the gear.

LeRoy
12-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Here is a review from the Sonic Flare website that potential power cord buyers may want to read:

http://www.sonicflare.com/archives/a-close-look-at-the-pangea-ac9-power-cord.php

frenchmon
12-03-2010, 07:45 PM

Well my friend...I got my Pangea 9 and not only is the background darker, but on my Bob James CD...the highs coming through the Cantons are more crisp and I seem to have more profound detail. On Paul Desmond it seems to have more dynamics...energy as well....Its as if the cord really gave my system a shot in the arm....and the cord is not even broken in yet. I will be ordering cords for every component in my system.

And tomorrow after work...I have to go and get about 2000 albums a friend is giving me...he is going into an senior retirement home, so has no need for them. Then I will be playing with the Rega Brio and Stello CDP and External DAC....before the missus drags me off to a wedding...:cryin:

LeRoy
12-04-2010, 07:40 AM
Well my friend...I got my Pangea 9 and not only is the background darker, but on my Bob James CD...the highs coming through the Cantons are more crisp and I seem to have more profound detail. On Paul Desmond it seems to have more dynamics...energy as well....Its as if the cord really gave my system a shot in the arm....and the cord is not even broken in yet. I will be ordering cords for every component in my system.

And tomorrow after work...I have to go and get about 2000 albums a friend is giving me...he is going into an senior retirement home, so has no need for them. Then I will be playing with the Rega Brio and Stello CDP and External DAC....before the missus drags me off to a wedding...:cryin:

Good deal Frenchmon. Once I hooked up my AC9 I knew immediately I would be ordering more PC's from Pangea. Earlier in the week I did get my AC14 C7 cord which I connected to the Marantz 6001 DVD/CD/SACD player. I thought the connection was a little too loose but the unit does turn on so it must be okay. While I really have not done a very critical analysis of the C7 cord one thing that I have noticed is the movie dialogue is much, much more clear. I also connected the second AC9 cord to the Arcam AVR 200 and that is also contributing to the overall sound improvement, including the control now over the RBH subwoofer. I am still waiting for 3 of the AC14 SE power cables as they are on back order with AA.

Glad to know you are experiencing a system improvement with the Pangea. There is no going back to stock cables ever again!

Good luck with the RB3 and Stello experiment. I am assuming you have enough cabling too? Have a good time this evening....

LeRoy

frenchmon
12-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Well The Marantz 6001 SACDP is just smoking with the Pangea AC-9. I have never heard Grover Washington sound this good before. I once heard someone say that music really lives in the mid-range and they where correct. I've had this cord for one day so it cant be broken in yet...This thing makes my stereo really loud....much louder than before. I am hearing detail that was subtle before, now more defined...The sound stage is thicker and more expanded...and the bottom end is more fuller and more pronounced. The Rotel is acting like it really has been juiced up. Before the night is over I am going to have to really do some critical listening while comparing the Rotel sound to the Rega Brio 3 sound.

Luvin Da Blues
12-05-2010, 03:01 AM
Well The Marantz 6001 SACDP is just smoking with the Pangea AC-9. I have never heard Grover Washington sound this good before. I once heard someone say that music really lives in the mid-range and they where correct. I've had this cord for one day so it cant be broken in yet...This thing makes my stereo really loud....much louder than before. I am hearing detail that was subtle before, now more defined...The sound stage is thicker and more expanded...and the bottom end is more fuller and more pronounced. The Rotel is acting like it really has been juiced up. Before the night is over I am going to have to really do some critical listening while comparing the Rotel sound to the Rega Brio 3 sound.

These cables have to be rated as one of the best values in audio right now. Makes one wonder why good equipment manufactures don't include a higher end PC or at least give one the option.

frenchmon
12-05-2010, 03:27 AM
These cables have to be rated as one of the best values in audio right now. Makes one wonder why good equipment manufactures don't include a higher end PC or at least give one the option.

I agree..for the price of the AC-9 alone is a very good value....The way manufactures re-baggage gear as their own these days, they could have their own product sounding really superb for a least $50-$75 dollars more if they included a re-baggaged AC-9 as their own product.( lets hope they are not reading this....the AC-9 is a real steal sold as is.)

Luvin Da Blues
12-05-2010, 03:41 AM
frenchmon, do you think the AC-9 maybe a bit overkill for a CDP? I may have to experiment and see if the AC-9 makes any difference on my preamp and DAC vs. the AC-14s.

frenchmon
12-05-2010, 11:27 AM
frenchmon, do you think the AC-9 maybe a bit overkill for a CDP? I may have to experiment and see if the AC-9 makes any difference on my preamp and DAC vs. the AC-14s.

It may be a bit over kill unless your CDP and Preamp is high-current to which the AC-9 is designed. IF you do experiment list your findings. I wasnt stating that I hooked the AC-9 up to the SACDP...only that the Marantz had new life as a result of the new life with the power amp....sorry for the confusion. Its like the Ac-9 has super charged the entire system.

E-Stat
12-05-2010, 05:30 PM
This thing makes my stereo really loud....much louder than before.
Let's not go overboard here. It is with comments like that lead some to ridicule the benefits of aftermarket cords. Don't get me wrong - I use several in my systems of various makes. Let's just set the proper expectations. Blacker background, better resolution, punchier bass, potentially yes. Louder, especially for a source component? Don't think so.

rw

frenchmon
12-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Let's not go overboard here. It is with comments like that lead some to ridicule the benefits of aftermarket cords. Don't get me wrong - I use several in my systems of various makes. Let's just set the proper expectations. Blacker background, better resolution, punchier bass, potentially yes. Louder, especially for a source component? Don't think so.

rw

Ah...E-stat, not trying to go over board.....my system is louder.

Dont take my word for it...but read Emaidel's notes as well

The differences? First, dynamics. When music gets loud, as most symphonic music does, it gets really LOUD, and a good deal louder than before. I've had to back off on the volume control several times during some listening trials. Second, everything has a smoother, less restrained sound, with a very significant improvement in bass response (quite an accomplishment, since the power cord isn't connected in any way to my suboowfer, but is only involved with the DQ-10's whose bass response was never anything to write home about). In a nutshell, music now sounds less compressed, though I didn't think it sounded compressed before

E-Stat
12-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Ah...E-stat, not trying to go over board.....my system is louder.

I think you'll find that your peak SPLs haven't changed unless you're simply choosing to push your amplifiers harder. I will agree, however, that cleaner systems sound "louder" while not exhibiting any increased sound pressure level. The reduction of noise components allows more signal to come through and provides greater dynamic range especially at the bottom where the "relative" loudness is apparently increased.

rw

frenchmon
12-06-2010, 09:26 AM
I think you'll find that your peak SPLs haven't changed unless you're simply choosing to push your amplifiers harder. I will agree, however, that cleaner systems sound "louder" while not exhibiting any increased sound pressure level. The reduction of noise components allows more signal to come through and provides greater dynamic range especially at the bottom where the "relative" loudness is apparently increased.

rw

I think you've nailed it.

emaidel
12-24-2010, 04:09 AM
It's gratifying to see that others have followed my suggestion and tried out the Pangea AC-9 for themselves (please forgive my initial misquote as "PC-9), and experienced mmany of the same benefits that I did. And, while I didn't post this, I too noticed the cable sounded better after a "break-in" period. I'm still quite stunned at the greatly increased dynamic range on some classical recordings, and the "heft and might" of a large orchestra with this power cord.

My son in law asked me what I wanted for Christmas, and I asked for two AC-14SE cords: one for my SACD player, and the other for my pre-amp. He ordered them on December 3rd from Audio Advisor, and they've been back-ordered since. So, I won't be able to spend any part of Christmas Day listening to the improvements they are sure to make on my system.

My birthday is January 19th. Maybe they'll arrive by then!

Luvin Da Blues
12-24-2010, 06:10 AM
I.....My son in law asked me what I wanted for Christmas, and I asked for two AC-14SE cords: one for my SACD player, and the other for my pre-amp. He ordered them on December 3rd from Audio Advisor, and they've been back-ordered since. So, I won't be able to spend any part of Christmas Day listening to the improvements they are sure to make on my system......

Well, Merry Ho Hos to you, enjoy the gift. I thought about the SEs but decided on the AC-14s because of the great 3-pack price. I would be curious in comparing the two but would have to order one, which is not happening so soon after X-mas. :incazzato:

There seemed to be a period during 'break-in' that the rig became overly bright and harsh. It didn't start or end this way so maybe it's just my imagination or other influences. :biggrin5:

Merry Christmas to all!!!

LDB

LeRoy
12-31-2010, 06:34 PM
Yeah-Hoo. Just got email confirmation from AA that my order for 3 of the Pangea AC 14-SE 1.5 meter were shipped today. Should be an interesting upgrade.

emaidel
01-01-2011, 04:53 AM
Yeah-Hoo. Just got email confirmation from AA that my order for 3 of the Pangea AC 14-SE 1.5 meter were shipped today. Should be an interesting upgrade.

Hopefully, that will be good news for me too. As it is, my son in law ordered one - not two - of the cords, so I'll do some experiementation with it on my SACD player and my preamp. If I like what I hear, I've already told my wife that she can buy me another one for my upcoming birthday!

Mr Peabody
01-01-2011, 07:35 AM
I'm glad the power cables are working for every one, I'm sure results vary but I found them an excellent tweak as the improvement for me was well worth the expense. If any one has a phono stage that will allow the upgrade I think you would be totally amazed at what happens.

emaidel
01-05-2011, 04:56 AM
My AC-14SE has still not arrived, nor have I received any notification from Audio Advisor as to an expected shipping date. My son in law originally ordered it on December 3rd, with the intention of having it shipped to him. He was then going to wrap it in Christmas wrapping, and then send it to me. He has since spoken to someone at AA advising them to ship the cable directly to me. And, so I wait...

Once I get it, I intend to try it out on three different components: my Marantz SA-8001 SACD player; my Parasound PL/D-1100 preamp; and my Parasound PPH-100 phono "stage/preamp." I never thought to use it on the phono preamp, but the previous post intrigued me. I rarely listen to LP's, but it's certainly worth a shot to see what difference the cable may make.

My primary intention is to use it for the SACD player, but after trying it out on both the SACD player and the preamp, I'll see which component best benefits overall. One thing for sure - I intend to buy at least another one, but not likely two more.

My Parasound tuner also could benefit, but as I listen to FM about once every 10 months, it's hardly a priority.

So, I'll post again when (and if!) the cable arrrives!

E-Stat
01-06-2011, 12:22 PM
If any one has a phono stage that will allow the upgrade I think you would be totally amazed at what happens.
Since it is all about dropping the noise level, I've found that better cables work on turntables, too. This I discovered years ago when I replaced the lamp quality cord on an Ariston turntable with a shielded cord and Leviton plug. I also use the same JPS Labs power cord with the GamuT CD-1 and VPI Scout.

rw

Mr Peabody
01-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Unfortunately, Rega doesn't allow for easy upgrades, not even the RCA's.

emaidel
01-07-2011, 04:21 AM
The AC-14SE arrived yesterday, and I am absolutely delighted with its performance. First, I played the final movement of Osmo Vanska's performance Bruckner's 4th on a BIS SACD and listened carefully. Then, I switched the power cable to the Pangea AC-14SE, and played the same thing again. Wow! It was as if I liffed yet another thick veil from my system, yielding greater detail, better orchestral sectional delineation, improved stereo image, better dynamics, and again, clearer, tighter, deeper and more bass. And all of this from a power cord that costs only $55! I've spent a lot more on other tweaks with lesser results.

Frankly, I can't imagine how Pangea can sell these power cords for so little. Their massive construction belies their costs, and it's hard to imagine that other power cords from high-end manufacturers (costing thousands of dollars) could yield better results. Actually, I suspect they do, but to get such dramatic improvements for so little, it's hard to justify spending that much when these Pangea cords work so well.

LeRoy
01-07-2011, 09:14 AM
The AC-14SE arrived yesterday, and I am absolutely delighted with its performance. First, I played the final movement of Osmo Vanska's performance Bruckner's 4th on a BIS SACD and listened carefully. Then, I switched the power cable to the Pangea AC-14SE, and played the same thing again. Wow! It was as if I liffed yet another thick veil from my system, yielding greater detail, better orchestral sectional delineation, improved stereo image, better dynamics, and again, clearer, tighter, deeper and more bass. And all of this from a power cord that costs only $55! I've spent a lot more on other tweaks with lesser results.

Frankly, I can't imagine how Pangea can sell these power cords for so little. Their massive construction belies their costs, and it's hard to imagine that other power cords from high-end manufacturers (costing thousands of dollars) could yield better results. Actually, I suspect they do, but to get such dramatic improvements for so little, it's hard to justify spending that much when these Pangea cords work so well.

My order of AC14SE also arrived yesterday but I have the Belles Soloist in the shop and other gear on an audio audition so I have no opportunity at the moment to test out the new Pangea power cords.

I'm delighted to hear that the PC's are working out great for you.

LeRoy
01-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Well, I was able to put 2 of the three AC14's to use a couple of nights ago. I connected one PC to the XRAY power supply and the other PC to a Wyred For Sound DAC.
Basically, ditto the comments already posted by emaidel

Even though my friend and I were breaking in a new Belles Integrated amp...simply swapping out the stock power cord from the WFS DAC to the AC14... were were able to quickly determine the AC14 is much like the AC9-- quieter background, more bass, more extension in the highs, better separation.

These Pangea products are great products and not just because they are so affordable--they deliver the promise as advertised.

LeRoy

Luvin Da Blues
01-10-2011, 05:26 PM
........... were were able to quickly determine the AC14 is much like the AC9-- quieter background, more bass, more extension in the highs, better separation.

These Pangea products are great products and not just because they are so affordable--they deliver the promise as advertised.

LeRoy

I agree fully, tho I admit I was very suspect of what a PC could accomplish.

If anyone is thinking of trying a after market cord, it doesn't get much more affordable than these.

emaidel
01-13-2011, 05:04 AM
Initially, I had stated that I had three choices on which to connect the AC-14SE: the SACD player, preamp or phono "stage/preamp." I connected it to the SACD player, and I'm thoroughly satisfied with the results.

I then put the original power cord back onto the SACD player, and put the AC-14SE on my preamp. While it sounded very good, the overall sound - at least while listening to SACD's - was better with it connected to the SACD player, and so I put it back there. I also connected it to my Parasound PPH-100 phono preamp, and noticed a decided improvement in sound, but as my primary listening source is SACD, or CD's, it went back onto the SACD player again. The differences when connected to the phono preamp were similar, but not as extensive, as when the cord was connected to the SACD player.

I've ordered another to use for my preamp, which is actually a birthday present from my wife, and it should arrived on or around my birthday (January 19th). I look forward to using two of these on two key components of my system, and reporting back to all what I hear. Eventually, I'll probably order yet another one for the phono preamp, but that's not a priority at this time.

I've made many improvements to my system with various tweaks of all different sorts, but none have made the amount of difference - for the price - as have these Pangea power cords. They're an absolute steal!

LeRoy
03-18-2011, 05:52 AM
Update on the effect of Pangea on my system. It now appears that too many Pangea PC's had too much of a flat effect on my system. I had connected the AC-9 connected to the Belles Amp, and a AC14-SE connected to the Belles Pre-Amp, Stello Dac, and Stello transport. The effect was one of muted highs, lack of decay, recessed mids and highs, and simply sounded disengaging overall.

I then swapped out the AC14SE that was on the pre-amp with a Wire World Aurora 5 and what a difference that made. The snap was back in the snares, highs and mids were now clear and pushed out further into the room and soundstage got wider. The Pangea still provided the bass and quite background that the WW does not provide but together they make the music presentation more complete.

To confirm the above, I reconnected the Pangea to the pre-amp and swapped out the AC14SE on the Stello Transport with the WW Aurora 5 and I got the same excellent result. So, that's the way I am going to leave it.

I do have 4 of the WW Aurora 5's and had been using them all before I got the Pangea. Now in practice, using all of one or all of the other does not get the musical presentation to my liking but finding a blend of both power cords did seem to do the trick for me.

Anyone else mix and match power cords with great results?

LeRoy

Mr Peabody
03-18-2011, 01:30 PM
That's an interesting phenomenon, LeRoy. I've never tried mixing cords. I should preface, Intentionally, I did use a MIT on my Linn amp where the rest are Transparent. The MIT did a great job on the Linn. Even if I did switch the MIT out, it would be hard to tell what to attribute any difference to, the new cord itself or some overall effect.

So you are saying no matter what the WW is hooked into it improves the system opposed to all 9's? One on one do you find the 9 better than the WW?

LeRoy
03-18-2011, 01:55 PM
That's an interesting phenomenon, LeRoy. I've never tried mixing cords. I should preface, Intentionally, I did use a MIT on my Linn amp where the rest are Transparent. The MIT did a great job on the Linn. Even if I did switch the MIT out, it would be hard to tell what to attribute any difference to, the new cord itself or some overall effect.

So you are saying no matter what the WW is hooked into it improves the system opposed to all 9's? One on one do you find the 9 better than the WW?

Probably the MIT and Transparent were closer in their attributes so harder to tell. Not so with with the Pangea and WW. The Pangea are definitely warm, dark background, and take an edge off the highs a little bit. Putting 4 of the Pangea in my system was overkill and I guess there's a limit to how much copper my system can take in the stream.

However, the WW Aurora 5's are SilverClad copper, and it only took one in the system to resurrect it from the dead/flatness. The WW do not have the dark background nor do they bring the bass that the Pangea allows for but the WW allow for a more sparkled top end and both the WW and Pangea are excellent in the mids.

So, I prefer the Pangea AC-9 over the WW and I think I probably could live happily with the AC9 for the amp alone and the WW for everything else. So, yes, the WW does improve upon the Pangea and the WW does make the overall system sound better.

Want me to ship you the set for your own in house demo?

LeRoy

Mr Peabody
03-18-2011, 07:56 PM
I appreciate the offer but it's difficult getting to my outlets and cords so I'd probably just procrastinate playing with it.

LeRoy
03-19-2011, 04:29 AM
Okay :)

bfalls
03-19-2011, 09:18 AM
Do the new power cable provide as much improvement as the cryogenic-treated tuning fuses which were all the rage a few months ago? Which provides the most "bang for the buck"?

LeRoy
03-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Do the new power cable provide as much improvement as the cryogenic-treated tuning fuses which were all the rage a few months ago? Which provides the most "bang for the buck"?

I've never heard of tuning fuses. Have you got a link for that product?

atomicAdam
03-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Probably the MIT and Transparent were closer in their attributes so harder to tell. Not so with with the Pangea and WW. The Pangea are definitely warm, dark background, and take an edge off the highs a little bit. Putting 4 of the Pangea in my system was overkill and I guess there's a limit to how much copper my system can take in the stream.

However, the WW Aurora 5's are SilverClad copper, and it only took one in the system to resurrect it from the dead/flatness. The WW do not have the dark background nor do they bring the bass that the Pangea allows for but the WW allow for a more sparkled top end and both the WW and Pangea are excellent in the mids.

So, I prefer the Pangea AC-9 over the WW and I think I probably could live happily with the AC9 for the amp alone and the WW for everything else. So, yes, the WW does improve upon the Pangea and the WW does make the overall system sound better.

Want me to ship you the set for your own in house demo?

LeRoy

Is that offer open to anyone else?

LeRoy
03-19-2011, 08:45 PM
Is that offer open to anyone else?

Sure AA, if you're interested in giving them a try just send me a private email with your contact info and the best time to reach you by phone. I work Sunday's so I won't be able to contact you till Monday.

LeRoy

dean_martin
03-20-2011, 09:15 AM
Sure AA, if you're interested in giving them a try just send me a private email with your contact info and the best time to reach you by phone. I work Sunday's so I won't be able to contact you till Monday.

LeRoy

Perhaps Adam will do a formal review for the site. I'd be interested. I'm wondering whether similar benefits to those described could be achieved with a tube amp. I'm planning to give at least the AC-9 a try over the summer when things slow down a bit at work. I also have an older gen PS Audio cable for my cdp so I may compare an AC14 as well.

From the descriptions at audioadvisor's website it appears that the AC14 and 14SE are recommended for a phono preamp. Are you guys saying you're using the AC9
with your phono stage?

atomicAdam
03-20-2011, 09:25 AM

LeRoy

Will do - Thanks,
-adam

atomicAdam
03-20-2011, 09:27 AM
You know what is funny - I actually emailed these guys a long time ago about doing a review. So I guess this is a round about way of doing it - since they never emailed back...

BTW - isn't the cable named AC-9 - not PC-9? Can I change the thread name to reflect that so we get the Google searches better?

LeRoy
03-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Are you guys saying you're using the AC9
with your phono stage?

Nope, I am using the AC9 only on the Belles Soloist 5 amp.

LeRoy
03-20-2011, 06:00 PM
You know what is funny - I actually emailed these guys a long time ago about doing a review. So I guess this is a round about way of doing it - since they never emailed back...

BTW - isn't the cable named AC-9 - not PC-9? Can I change the thread name to reflect that so we get the Google searches better?

Well, you'll get to do your review after all. Yes, the big Pangea is the AC-9 but when emaidel started the thread he used PC-9 instead. I think changing the thread name to reflect the correct product name would be wise.

TTYL

LeRoy

bfalls
03-21-2011, 05:26 AM
I've never heard of tuning fuses. Have you got a link for that product?

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=31879&highlight=tuning+fuses

LeRoy
03-21-2011, 06:38 PM
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=31879&highlight=tuning+fuses

Thanks for the link to the tuning fuses thread. I've never heard any system that has been tweaked with tuning fuses so there is no way I can compare a tuning fused system against the power cords I am currently using.

If I recall correctly, emaidel, has such a system. Maybe he will be kind enough to elaborate on the differences.

LeRoy