TurnTable no spinny spinny.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : TurnTable no spinny spinny....

atomicAdam
11-11-2010, 09:52 AM
So my Rega P3/24 has decided it doesn't want to spin.

Suggestions?

It powers on - and clicks when going from 33 to 45 rpm. I got it to spin the other day after taking the platter off and spinning it around a bit myself. Lately it has been needing a bit of a push start, so to speak.

Suggestions?

-adam

Follow up - well - got it going - but had to give the driver pulley a spin.

You know, I'm not sure I'm really too thrilled with the overall construction quality of this turntable. There has to be something out there that is similar in price but better made, and will sound as good.

Enochrome
11-11-2010, 10:14 AM
I think Noob had an issue similar to that with his Rega (? or Music Hall) and he had to do a motor replacement or something close to that. Check the old threads or hopefully he'll see your post. . I forgot the price point of your table, is it around 800.00? If so, I think a use Clearaudio Concept table would be awesome! That would be a be all end all for me, next to a Luxman PD-440. If the price point is around $500 someone is selling an Artison belt drive table like Poppa's on Audiogon for that much; I also think it has a Rega RB300 arm (or maybe a Grace) on it, which sounds like a good table to me.

More answers should come your way soon from more experienced audio addicts :)

JohnMichael
11-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Since you have moved several times I am wondering if oil has spilled from the platters bearing. If you remove the belt and replace the platter to check if the platter will spin freely. Also while the belt is off check to see if the motor will spin without the drag of the platter.

I do not remember but do you use the speed controller? I have read of problems with Rega's when plugged into a power conditioner. I would check all connections and try a different outlet.

02audionoob
11-11-2010, 04:14 PM
I think Noob had an issue similar to that with his Rega (? or Music Hall) and he had to do a motor replacement or something close to that.

The problem I had was just noise. It was the Music Hall motor, which I replaced with a new Pro-Ject motor.

If the pulley won't turn without help it sounds like maybe it's not getting synced up with the magnetic force that turns it. If you nudge the platter in the right direction when you turn it on will it always continue normally from there?

poppachubby
11-12-2010, 04:29 AM
I always jump start my platter before hitting the power on the motor. Good habit to get into Adam.

atomicAdam
11-12-2010, 08:49 AM
The MSRP was $1300 I believe. And I've always been very careful to keep the table level and secure when moving. What appears to be happening is the pulley that has the motor attached to it doesn't spin on it's own. If I give it a little go it seems to continue and will spin the platter.

It is plugged into a power conditioner/protector. I will try it on a different outlet. Wondering if the table weight PC sent me could be causing a problem.

I'll keep playing around, but I suppose I'll be sending an email into Rega soon.

-adam

poppachubby
11-12-2010, 09:22 AM
If the weight is causing a problem, the table has just as much issue. No way that weight should be causing the motor to struggle. Perhaps you got a dud, wouldn't be the first time. Car motors leave the factory with issues, so why not a TT?

BTW, you checked your PMs lately?

02audionoob
11-12-2010, 10:24 AM
I would bet this has something to do with the onboard AC phase circuit. I don't know exactly what you call it. But it's responsible for starting the motor in the right direction. Without some sort of provision like this, an AC motor can even start out in the wrong direction, as my MMF-5 used to do on rare occasion before I replaced the motor.

atomicAdam
11-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Ok - thanks guys - and yeah - PC - i've got to set up some stuff today and will respond - but sounds good - sorry just been swamped this week.

JohnMichael
11-12-2010, 11:14 AM
The MSRP was $1300 I believe. And I've always been very careful to keep the table level and secure when moving. What appears to be happening is the pulley that has the motor attached to it doesn't spin on it's own. If I give it a little go it seems to continue and will spin the platter.

It is plugged into a power conditioner/protector. I will try it on a different outlet. Wondering if the table weight PC sent me could be causing a problem.

I'll keep playing around, but I suppose I'll be sending an email into Rega soon.

-adam

I doubt the weight of Poppa's record weight could have caused harm unless it was heavy enough to slow the record down while playing. If it was too heavy you should see wear in the stainless bearing. If the bearing is worn I would again check to make sure there is enough lube in the well.

I have had my Rega Planar 2 for well over 10 years and it has been trouble free. I do use a record weight but the Funk Firm platter is lighter.

I was wondering if your power conditioner might have any kind of phase switch or polarity reversal that might interfere with the motor's electronics? That might have been bumped and could be causing the problem.

JohnMichael
11-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Adam have you found out anything about your ttable?