What size 55 or 60 led & weight [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What size 55 or 60 led & weight

rayh78
11-11-2010, 07:25 AM
In the market for a LED HDTV.
Had decided on a 60" but not sure if that would be too big. Or should I get a 55" which is also a much lower price. Will be sitting about 13 ft. away when watching.

Also will wall hang this and looking at the sony Leds it looks like a 55" weighs about 50 lbs. but a 60" jumps way up to 110 lbs. Check 2 different web sites. Could this be right.

Thanks for any suggestions

audio amateur
11-11-2010, 08:19 AM
Have you considered a plasma? Apparently they still have the best picture. They're cheaper, too.
If you're mainly watching HD content then you can safely go with a 60". In fact, with a 60" full HD screen you could theoretically sit up to 7 feet away, according to THX.

BadAssJazz
11-11-2010, 08:55 AM
If you're mainly watching HD content then you can safely go with a 60". In fact, with a 60" full HD screen you could theoretically sit up to 7 feet away, according to THX.

Remembers being a kid and having mom scold me for sitting too closely to the TV. Gotta love modern technology. :thumbsup:

pixelthis
11-11-2010, 12:18 PM
In the market for a LED HDTV.
Had decided on a 60" but not sure if that would be too big. Or should I get a 55" which is also a much lower price. Will be sitting about 13 ft. away when watching.

Also will wall hang this and looking at the sony Leds it looks like a 55" weighs about 50 lbs. but a 60" jumps way up to 110 lbs. Check 2 different web sites. Could this be right.

Thanks for any suggestions

Dont know why, might be a typo.
Plasma is a lot heavier than LCD. WALMART has a display of LED sets, good prices.
Heard a report that a 55" led will be under a grand soon, prices are dropping fast.
Samsung are more expensive, but the led scheme in them is better than Sonys,
who edge light their LED sets. Samsungs do have an amazing picture, IMHO.:1:

audio amateur
11-12-2010, 01:26 AM
Remembers being a kid and having mom scold me for sitting too closely to the TV. Gotta love modern technology. :thumbsup:
hehe. I'm still a kid (somewhat) and i just purchased a 50" plasma for my bedroom. My mom has already asked a couple times 'are you sure you're not too close to that screen?' :biggrin5:

My sofa is 10 feet away from the screen, which is ideal distance (the screen has 768p resolution).

pixelthis
11-12-2010, 01:59 PM
And one more thing to consider is pole mount. I have that and it works very well.
You don't have to tear up drywall, and the set rotates.
JUST SOMETHING ELSE TO CONSIDER.:1:

Woochifer
11-14-2010, 05:51 PM
Are you sure that the 55" and 60" sets are both part of the same model lineup? That big a weight difference would indicate to me that the larger set adds something else outside of the bigger screen size. Also, what price difference are you looking at between those two sets?

Have you considered a plasma? Apparently they still have the best picture. They're cheaper, too.

But, if weight is a consideration, the plasmas are definitely a lot heavier at comparable sizes.

That viewing distance recommended by THX has nothing to do with safety (unlike the old days when our parents warned us about staying too close to a TV because of "radiation"). It has to do with the minimum distance at which the pixel lines are no longer visible. Using this criteria, the viewing distances for 1080p TVs are closer than 768p TVs. Here's a chart that shows the sliding scale at which the differences between resolutions become visible, depending on screen size and viewing distance.

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

audio amateur
11-15-2010, 02:17 AM
But, if weight is a consideration, the plasmas are definitely a lot heavier at comparable sizes.
My 50" plasma is 23kg, about the same weight as the 50" LED TV he mentionned.

That viewing distance recommended by THX has nothing to do with safety (unlike the old days when our parents warned us about staying too close to a TV because of "radiation"). It has to do with the minimum distance at which the pixel lines are no longer visible. Using this criteria, the viewing distances for 1080p TVs are closer than 768p TVs. Here's a chart that shows the sliding scale at which the differences between resolutions become visible, depending on screen size and viewing distance.

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html
Not sure what you're trying to say? I wasn't refering to radiation when talking about distances, and the chart confirms what I said.