Marnie Stern! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Marnie Stern!

Rae
11-10-2010, 01:25 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4106/5163768267_3b904df07b_z.jpg

I went to see Gay Beast open for her last night at the 7th St Entry and stuck around for the headlining set even though I wasn't familiar with her music. She was so so good! All hammer-ons and Joey Lauren Adams voice. She seriously shreds on the guitar, doing tons of looping and hammered stuff but in a really punky 2-minute miracle kind of way, The drumming was great, too-- I guess the drummer in her band was in Hella, who I enjoyed on that same stage a decade ago (sharing a bill with Wicketran and Xiu Xiu, what a time). Anyway, recommended listening if you like Deerhoof and that kind of stuff. Here's a free download from her new album at Amazon (a little slower and more atmospheric than the live show but still rocking): Transparency is the New Intimacy (http://www.amazon.com/Transparency-Is-The-New-Mystery/dp/B0040GYF2E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1289423828&sr=8-1).

~Rae

Finch Platte
11-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Sounds like a big weiner. Altho I don't have speakers here at work, I'll take your word for it & see if she has a disc at my local emporium.

Thanks.

Finch Platte
11-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Went out & got this (her new one) yesterday. It's a bit noisy for me, but some different ideas going on, that's fo' sho'.

If you'd like to hear it, let me know.

Rae
11-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Man, I picked up her sophomore effort This Is It and I Am It and You Are It and So Is That and He Is It and She Is It and It Is It and That Is That on vinyl yesterday along with the new one and it is seriously ruling my world. I haven't even flipped it over the B Side yet; I just keep moving the needle back to the beginning. Her record is just as good as her show.

~Rae

Swish
11-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Looks like she's playing a Fender Jazzmaster, used by that nut-job from Wilco, Nels Cline. His are '60 or '61 models with custom bridge setups, and they go for big bucks. I'd like to hear some of her stuff. Too bad she's butt ugly, 'eh Rae?

Rae
11-12-2010, 05:57 PM
paging Davey to this thread. This **** is awesome.

~Rae