Oppo's upcoming BDP-93 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Oppo's upcoming BDP-93

Worf101
11-10-2010, 11:40 AM
This kinda pisses me off. A year after I shell out list fo the BDP-83 our comes this new model.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/blu-ray-BDP-93-Features.aspx

Everything I already paid for but with Netflix and some other internet improvements. I wrote to Oppo and asked if they'd offer an upgrade for us loyal customers, I bought their DVD and waited a long time to buy the BDP-83. Do they really expect us to shellout another 5 large to get this one? Take the old one, I'll send em some cash and we can call it square! I guess I'm dreamin'.

Worf

Hyfi
11-10-2010, 11:43 AM
I was all set to buy the 83 and it's discontinued. I am on an email list for when the 93 comes out. I would have much preferred to have the dedicated 2 channel out than the netfix stuff

TheHills44060
11-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Exactly hyfi...now we have to wait for a "special edition" to come out and pay extra $$$ for it assuming they even make one. Frustrating.

ForeverAutumn
11-10-2010, 01:39 PM
I see a deal brewing here.

Hyfi, buy Worf's 83. Worf, put the money towards upgrading to the 93. Everybody goes home happy. You may PM each other to work out the details and thank me later. :)

Hyfi
11-10-2010, 02:37 PM
I see a deal brewing here.

Hyfi, buy Worf's 83. Worf, put the money towards upgrading to the 93. Everybody goes home happy. You may PM each other to work out the details and thank me later. :)

LOL, I'm gonna just settle since I never intended it to be my main disc player. I just liked the feature. I never heard that the SEs and the NuForce editions were gone that Audio Adviser was selling but at $899 to $1500, it's out of my Birthday allowance.

I've thought about it but I have been using this crappy Denon player without HDMI for so long, I want something New, not used even though I'm sure it was well cared for. It's just not the same.

harley .guy07
11-10-2010, 04:55 PM
I know that this unit is very well optioned but I am content with my 83 as it works very nice with movies and makes a good transport for my dac so I don't see the need to change. I do like the wifi onboard idea but my router is located close enough to the 83 that I can use a ethernet cable if I need it to connect. It is kind of odd to just abandon a very good and well received unit like the 83 just to make a few added features and also change the layout when I thought the current one is just fine.

thekid
11-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Worf- I hope it works out for you but I think you know they play the game in the electronics world. A little tweak here and there but the price keeps going down. The loyal customers who were the first to jump in usually get got holding the bag.

On the other hand I guess I will have to start combing the thrifts looking for Oppo's that have been ditched in favor of the newer model....... :D

Still grinning over my previous Oppo-tunity.......

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=34525

Worf101
11-11-2010, 07:14 AM
Worf- I hope it works out for you but I think you know they play the game in the electronics world. A little tweak here and there but the price keeps going down. The loyal customers who were the first to jump in usually get got holding the bag.

On the other I guess I will have to start coming the thrifts looking for Oppo's that have been ditched in favor of the newer model....... :D

Still grinning over my previous Oppo-tunity.......

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=34525

"Dave,

Unfortunately we do not offer any trade-in, upgrade, or buyback program. The best solution is to sell the player on places like eBay or Audiogon, as these players can often receive premium pricing now that they are discontinued and not available for purchase anywhere else.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119"

Welp I guess that's the end of that dream. Sigh.... bastiches. I don't NEED 3D!!!! Ah can't see it. I can only hope they come out with one sans that feature for cheaper.

Worf

BadAssJazz
11-11-2010, 09:11 AM
On the other I guess I will have to start com(b)ing the thrifts looking for Oppo's that have been ditched in favor of the newer model....... :D

My thoughts exactly. I love it when a manufacturer releases a new model, if for no other reason it almost always ensures me that I'll be able to find a good deal on the previous model...and in Oppo's case, the previous model ain't half bad! :thumbsup:

BadAssJazz
11-11-2010, 09:13 AM
I must admit, though, for 5 bones, that new Oppo looks sexy!

pixelthis
11-11-2010, 12:25 PM
This kinda pisses me off. A year after I shell out list fo the BDP-83 our comes this new model.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/blu-ray-BDP-93-Features.aspx

Everything I already paid for but with Netflix and some other internet improvements. I wrote to Oppo and asked if they'd offer an upgrade for us loyal customers, I bought their DVD and waited a long time to buy the BDP-83. Do they really expect us to shellout another 5 large to get this one? Take the old one, I'll send em some cash and we can call it square! I guess I'm dreamin'.

Worf

You're a "pioneer".
You know, those guys with arrows sticking outta their backs.
Welcome to the club, my two year old 42" cost 900$, a GREAT deal, now you can get
a 47" non LED for less.
AND my four year old, 1200 dollar Integra was owned during DVI and then HDMI
changes, horse and buggy when I finally upgraded.
And yep, you're dreaming, they have you by the short hairs, uness you decide you
don't really need the "latest" thang.:1:

pixelthis
11-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Its all relative, I would kill to have your "83".
LOOKING at the new player and your old one, with your cost of upgrade the price of
the new one minus whatever you get for the old one, it is just not a justified upgrade
at this time.
HOW does that song go?
better hold on to what you got..., or to put it in ways a Klingon would understand,
that new player is a crystalline entity as far as your wallet is concerned .:1:

dean_martin
11-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Does Oppo have ANYTHING ready for Christmas?

Hyfi
11-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Does Oppo have ANYTHING ready for Christmas?

I registered on their site to get an email as soon as the 93 is available. As soon as I hear, I will post it.

blackraven
11-11-2010, 05:01 PM
I hope they come out with an SE version.

thekid
11-11-2010, 05:10 PM
"Dave,

Unfortunately we do not offer any trade-in, upgrade, or buyback program. The best solution is to sell the player on places like eBay or Audiogon, as these players can often receive premium pricing now that they are discontinued and not available for purchase anywhere else.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Worf

Translation-

We do think highly enough of our customers or older products to offer a trade-in or buy back program. Instituting such programs would put us in direct competition with our current products. Research has shown that customers who analyze the improvement in performance as it relates to the increased cost will often select the earlier model at the lower price point. However in asking you, our customer, to resell our products on sites such as E-Bay or Audiogon we limit the size of the secondary market which will insure their is no real competition to our newer products.

Best wishes to us in hoping you will instead opt to buy two of our products even though the anticipated lifespan of the original product we sold you just 24 months ago is 5-10 years.

Customer Service/Marketing Operations
Oppo Digital

:D

TheHills44060
11-24-2010, 05:24 PM
Holy steamin' pile of goat $hit I just read that the BDP-95 has balanced stereo audio outs!!!!! Why the hell did nobody mention this? This quells any issues I would have about picking one up.

Worf101
12-20-2010, 05:38 AM
I just got the email from Oppo, the 93 is out.

Worf

Hyfi
12-20-2010, 05:57 AM
I just got the email from Oppo, the 93 is out.

Worf

Got the email also but due to some money issues along with waiting for some real reviews, I'm gonna just hold off and continue to use my old DVD player for a while longer.

filecat13
12-31-2010, 10:00 PM
My current BDP-8SE, which I upgraded through Oppo from a BDP-83 for less than the cost of a new BDP-83SE, will make a nice improvement to my main two-channel system, while the BDP-93 will offer me the greater flexibility I need in my HT. It's a win-win!

I can understand why Oppo can't really afford to take back used models in exchange for new. OTOH, getting my 83 upgraded to 83SE for less $$ was a nice touch, IMO. Oppo didn't have to do that, either.

Technology is continuously moving forward, albeit sometimes by millimeters. We have to decide when to jump or not. We can't blame the manufacturers for that. They need continuous sales. If they tipped their hand about new products, they'd go out of business or at least suffer through endless boom and bust cycles instead of having a more or less predictable sales forecast.