RR Q&A: What album or band do you feel like you shouldn't like, but you do? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RR Q&A: What album or band do you feel like you shouldn't like, but you do?

ForeverAutumn
11-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Let's look at the flipside. Same rules as Rae's post. What bands should you not like, based on musical style or genre but you find yourself drawn to.

For me it's the Scissor Sisters. I generally don't like electronica or dance music. By all accounts, I should really dislike this band. I don't even remember what spurred me to buy their first CD, but I did and I loved it! So, then I bought the second disk and loved it too. They have released a new disk and it's on my wish list. There is just something about them that draws me in. Maybe it's the quirkiness, or the amusing lyrics. But I really surprise myself by enjoying this band.

rakeford
11-09-2010, 06:52 PM
For me, it's John Prine and Steve Goodman. I really don't like country music, but Prine's country/rock/whatever style is always amusing and fun. The humor and satire in his lyrics outshines most of the groups I like. For example,

"Broken hearts and dirty windows
Make life difficult to see
That's why last night and this morning
Always look the same to me"

John Prine

I've heard it a million times. It always crakes me up.

Rae
11-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Every homophobic 80s punk/hardcore band. It's totally contradictory to my personal values, but I still own records from the Descendents to the Angry Samoans that contain some of the most sophomoric, ignorant lyrics... and I still love all the other songs on 'em.

~Rae

Hyfi
11-10-2010, 04:04 AM
Don't tell anyone but, I like several Yanni and John Tesh works. I really like the latest Tesh with Breeze Lee and the dancers.

Mr MidFi
11-10-2010, 06:57 AM
I can't help loving Green Day. And U2. And even sometimes (shhhhh....) Coldplay.

I am a sucker for simple riffs and memorable melodies, I guess. So sue me.

Stone
11-10-2010, 07:01 AM
http://www.amiright.com/album-covers/images/album-Boston-Boston.jpg

Rae
11-10-2010, 07:03 AM
What? You should totally like Boston!!

~Rae

Stone
11-10-2010, 07:28 AM
Okay, I'm just not into much classic rock, so it doesn't exactly "fit" with the rest of my collection. Having said that, I've had a copy of that album in one format or another since I was about 8 and the 45 of "More Than a Feeling" (b/w "Smokin'") is still at my folks' house somewhere.

Swish
11-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Don't tell anyone but, I like several Yanni and John Tesh works. I really like the latest Tesh with Breeze Lee and the dancers.

Yanni and Tesh? What has become of you man?

Swish
11-10-2010, 09:59 AM
The Carpenters. I don't like(d) them all that much, but she had one of the best voices ever recorded, and even though they sang silly little love songs, they were well produced and very well constructed.

Let the blood bath begin.

Hyfi
11-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Yanni and Tesh? What has become of you man?

I know, I know! I was gonna say in my original post that I am not a man at all in those weak moments.

What it is I like about some of that music is the energy and dynamics and layering. Also, that Yanni concert at Red Rocks I think, introduced me to Karen Briggs who plays electric violin and showed up on the Stanley Clarke Virtu disk.

Tesh just makes nice music in general. and I dig Breeze Lee's popping dance style. I would snap myself in half if I tried his stuff.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VwwuxvcjM8E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VwwuxvcjM8E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Stone
11-10-2010, 10:10 AM
The Carpenters. I don't like(d) them all that much, but she had one of the best voices ever recorded, and even though they sang silly little love songs, they were well produced and very well constructed.

"I don't like them" ≠ "she had one of the best voices ever recorded, ... they were well produced and very well constructed"

Troy
11-10-2010, 10:26 AM
I'm sitting here trying to crap out an answer, but I can't get past the concept that I like what I like, and dislike what I dislike.

I like Mr. Bungle and Burt Bacharach, or the Carpenters and Primus, and a whole pile of stuff in between. I dislike John Tesh and the Shaggs, or Captain Beefheart and Yanni, and an even bigger pile of stuff in between. I don't mind saying so and I'm not embarrassed, or confused by what I like/dislike, in the least.

The concept of guilty pleasures is lost on me. Pleasure is pleasure.

Swish
11-10-2010, 10:44 AM
"I don't like them" ≠ "she had one of the best voices ever recorded, ... they were well produced and very well constructed"

...but what I was trying to say was that they were not a favorite and I don't (didn't) like them all that much but...

I put the like(d) in there to indicate past-tense since Karen is long gone and they aren't currently recording, obviously. Thanks for pointing out my blunder. I really appreciate it. :prrr:

Rae
11-10-2010, 10:48 AM
I think that the concept is not about whether you feel guilty, Troy, but rather just what someone would be surprised to learn that you enjoy. Stuff in a genre that you generally dislike, or whose influences leave you cold, or whose aesthetic is antithetical to anything you'd ever imagined yrself digging... the "shouldn't" to here refers more to "in the context of all logical reasoning" and less to "what others think you should or shouldn't be embarrassed about." Like, "Stone hates Asia, Alabama, Europe, Black Oak Arkansas, Defiance OH, America, Chicago, Calexico, and Japan... but loves Boston!"

~Rae

MasterCylinder
11-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Celine Dion.

She can't write;
Performs (live) like a nerd;
Overly dramatic;
Married her Dad..........generally weird chick.
But she can belt and does so with amazing tone and accuracy.

Swish
11-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Celine Dion.

She can't write;
Performs (live) like a nerd;
Overly dramatic;
Married her Dad..........generally weird chick.
But she can belt and does so with amazing tone and accuracy.

...I don't care about anything she sings about and it's as though she's trying to win American Idol on every song. She's just way over the top for me, much like Whitney Houston.

Stone
11-10-2010, 11:51 AM
I think that the concept is not about whether you feel guilty, Troy, but rather just what someone would be surprised to learn that you enjoy. Stuff in a genre that you generally dislike, or whose influences leave you cold, or whose aesthetic is antithetical to anything you'd ever imagined yrself digging... the "shouldn't" to here refers more to "in the context of all logical reasoning" and less to "what others think you should or shouldn't be embarrassed about." Like, "Stone hates Asia, Alabama, Europe, Black Oak Arkansas, Defiance OH, America, Chicago, Calexico, and Japan... but loves Boston!"

~Rae

You forgot Kansas, Utah, Vermont, Mexico 70, Brazil, and Idaho.

And seriously, that's the way I took this thread too. Stuff you shouldn't like based on the genre or people involved, but do.

Rae
11-10-2010, 12:03 PM
You forgot Kansas, Utah, Vermont, Mexico 70, Brazil, and Idaho.

I didn't forget them-- you love those bands. So maybe it's not so surprising after all.

~Rae

ForeverAutumn
11-10-2010, 12:53 PM

Blood bath? Sure, just as soon as I stop laughing! :lol:

ForeverAutumn
11-10-2010, 12:54 PM
I didn't forget them-- you love those bands. So maybe it's not so surprising after all.

~Rae

(snicker)

rakeford
11-10-2010, 02:21 PM
How about Michael Jackson, the kid we love to hate.

But I gotta admit, he has a mountain of talent and he's a fantatic showman. He's orginality and execution surpass most.

I don't own any of his music, but if I find a copy of "Thriller" at the thrift, I'm bringin' it home.

Luvin Da Blues
11-10-2010, 02:55 PM

But I gotta admit, he has a mountain of talent and he's a fantatic showman. He's orginality and execution surpass most.

I don't own any of his music, but if I find a copy of "Thriller" at the thrift, I'm bringin' it home.

I have to agree with you on this, but I do have an original unopened LP copy of Thriller.

Javier
11-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Opeth,myself never a metal head (haven´t heard anything from metallica yet), but i like them a lot.
For soft stuff yeah i´ll go with carpenters, burt barbarach also have some yanny and the horror there are two Kenny G´s in my collecction (in my defense they lay there unplayed since mid 90¨s when i found this board and restarted my listening to rock mostly prog)

Slosh
11-10-2010, 03:23 PM
I shouldn't like Prince, but I do (Parade and Around The World In A Day, anyway).

ForeverAutumn
11-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Opeth,myself never a metal head (haven´t heard anything from metallica yet), but i like them a lot.
For soft stuff yeah i´ll go with carpenters, burt barbarach also have some yanny and the horror there are two Kenny G´s in my collecction (in my defense they lay there unplayed since mid 90¨s when i found this board and restarted my listening to rock mostly prog)

If you like prog and you like Opeth, you definately need to listen to Metallica. While they aren't prog, they are a lot more melodic than many other metal bands. Start with their self-titled (often called the Black Album) or Master of Puppets.

3LB
11-10-2010, 06:57 PM
I like Of Montreal. Blew my daughter's mind when she saw the CDs.

Stone
11-11-2010, 05:43 AM
http://www.emagasia.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/gee.jpg

Girls Generation (SNSD) - the only K-Pop I've ever heard. And while I certainly don't like everything they do, some of it is just catchy as hell, especially the song "Gee."

Rae
11-11-2010, 08:09 AM
Tiffany is kind of getting shut out of the tea party.

I'ma check this out on yr recommendation, and feel weird doing it.

~Rae

Stone
11-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Don't hold your breath on liking it. It really is hit and miss for me. If you don't like "Gee" then you probably won't like any of it.

Swish
11-11-2010, 12:49 PM

...weren't aware, but Micheal died in June of 2009. So my friend, he 'had' a mountain of talent, and he 'was' a factactic (sic) showman, and he's (sic) originality and execution 'surpassed' most.

Sorry Rakeford, but Stone started this grammar war. I'm just playing along. :D

Stone
11-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Bastard.

I guess there is a reason I'm called "the wordman" by some. :)

rakeford
11-11-2010, 02:27 PM
...weren't aware, but Micheal died in June of 2009. So my friend, he 'had' a mountain of talent, and he 'was' a factactic (sic) showman, and he's (sic) originality and execution 'surpassed' most.

Sorry Rakeford, but Stone started this grammar war. I'm just playing along. :D
Live & let die. :thumbsup:

Swish
11-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Live & let die. :thumbsup:

Nice retort and well-deserved on my end. Touche!

SlumpBuster
11-22-2010, 05:41 PM
I don't think its just a band that you shouldn't like, but that no one should like. For example, no one should like this song. It is offensive and morally reprehensible to anyone with a daughter, wife or mother. But I turn up the radio and drive a little faster anytime it comes on. Plus, Luda is awesome.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VdaKwt5cHEk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VdaKwt5cHEk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

rakeford
11-22-2010, 08:35 PM
I don't think its just a band that you shouldn't like, but that no one should like. For example, no one should like this song. It is offensive and morally reprehensible to anyone with a daughter, wife or mother. But I turn up the radio and drive a little faster anytime it comes on. Plus, Luda is awesome.

It's just great Rock-n-Roll. :23:

Thanks, I like it.

Jimmy B
11-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Barbra Streisand. Some of her covers from West Side Story are pretty good

Swish
11-23-2010, 08:00 AM

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VdaKwt5cHEk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VdaKwt5cHEk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

...the video is certainly worth watching. :D

GMichael
11-23-2010, 08:10 AM
I don’t like her genre of music at all, but Mariah Carey can sure belt it out. Too bad she seems so unstable.

rakeford
08-03-2011, 10:45 AM
To add Steve Goodman to the "should hate but don't hate" list, here's an example that forces me to admire him.

Steve Goodman - "You Never Even Call Me By My Name"
"Well it was all I could do to keep from cryin'
Some times it seems so useless to remain
You're the one who always tried to change me
And that is why I will always stay the same

But I'll hang around as long as you will let me
I never minded standing in the rain
You don't have to call me darlin', darlin'
But you never even call me by my name"

Steve Goodman : You Never Even Call Me By My Name - Live 1982
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsa5IiNjIkQ

In addition he sings better than most folk singers, yes even John Prine (IMO). He has tremendous control over his voice.

For me, it's John Prine and Steve Goodman. I really don't like country music, but Prine's country/rock/whatever style is always amusing and fun. The humor and satire in his lyrics outshines most of the groups I like. For example,

"Broken hearts and dirty windows
Make life difficult to see
That's why last night and this morning
Always look the same to me"

John Prine

I've heard it a million times. It always crakes me up.

nobody
08-03-2011, 11:19 AM
I don't really listen to metal but I do enjoy Monster Magnet and Rob Zombie.