can you mix / match subs? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : can you mix / match subs?

Tarheel_
11-09-2010, 01:01 PM
I have a Def Tech 15" sub in my basement HT. I'm currently waiting on a return call on a used upper-end sub for a super price. From the pics, I cannot determine if it's a 12" or 15" sub.

I've read more than a few times where 2 subs sound better than 1. Is this true if they are not from the same company or woofer size? I don't have any bass setup equipment...just use my ears at this point.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
11-09-2010, 01:55 PM
I have a Def Tech 15" sub in my basement HT. I'm currently waiting on a return call on a used upper-end sub for a super price. From the pics, I cannot determine if it's a 12" or 15" sub.

I've read more than a few times where 2 subs sound better than 1. Is this true if they are not from the same company or woofer size? I don't have any bass setup equipment...just use my ears at this point.

I do not recommend it. The 2 subs should be identical so you don't run into the problem of one sub performing differently than another. If I use one sub that is 15" with a 500 watt amp, and a 12" with a 250 watt amp, during high level effects, the 12" distortion will go up before the 15", will reach it excursion limits before the 15", and you will clip the 12"'s amp before you would the 15".

Mr Peabody
11-09-2010, 08:26 PM
It seems like you could use two if you kept only one on the LFE output and ran the other off of another output, that way you could set the subs levels independently. "Other output" like main, setting mains to "large", or perhaps the center, or off a second set of main speaker terminals.

dwayne.aycock
11-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Consider the frequency response of these subs in relation to the cross over you are using. If the cross over freq in your preamp or receiver is set to the same freq as your subs then you should be OK. One thing to make sure you check is the power handling capabilities of your subs as suggested above. Your lower power Sub will distort before your higher powered sub, so you will run your lower powered sub at a lower SPL. On the other hand, sub frequencies below 40Hz are non directional. If the wall, floor and celing don't give you a overly boomy sound, you should be able to match the sound of the subs pretty closely with a bit of creativity and careful placement.
Let us know how it comes out.
D.

GMichael
11-24-2010, 12:37 PM
I wouldn’t use two different sized subs with both placed in the front of the room. I might consider one up front and the smaller (or less powerful) one behind me if it sits closer to me. Still it would be very hard to get right.

audio amateur
11-24-2010, 12:58 PM
It seems like you could use two if you kept only one on the LFE output and ran the other off of another output, that way you could set the subs levels independently. "Other output" like main, setting mains to "large", or perhaps the center, or off a second set of main speaker terminals.
If they are active you can adjust the gain regardless

pixelthis
11-24-2010, 02:03 PM
You can do anything you want, the sub nazis won't get you. Of course, this not being
a free country since the dems took over...well, I WOULD CHECK THE HEALTH CARE
BILL, nobody knows whats in that one. AND, AS A GENERAL RULE, more than one
sub in a room isnt worth the hassle. TAKES a very good sub for me to put up with one,
much less more than one.:1:

Tarheel_
11-30-2010, 04:38 PM
thought i should update to close this thread out...the sub was sold before i reached the owner. Oh well, thanks for everyone's input.

I'm still hunting, but i'll look for another 15" and hope it's a Def Tech.

pixelthis
12-01-2010, 12:40 PM
thought i should update to close this thread out...the sub was sold before i reached the owner. Oh well, thanks for everyone's input.

I'm still hunting, but i'll look for another 15" and hope it's a Def Tech.

Do they even make a 15"?. I thought their forte was compact mini subs.:1:

Nasir
12-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Sorry for chiming in a bit late, but I am not at all displeased with my set up that has 2 completely different subs : the Final Sound bottom firing sub which is by far the better of the 2 subs and my old Trevi front firing sub which comes in around the 40 Hz mark. With just one sub, it became obvious that something was still missing, but now with their output levels more or less the same, that bass is not directionally identified. By the way, my subs have to fill in up to the 120HZ mark as I have the Final Sound 300i Electrostatic Panels.

Tarheel_
12-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Sorry for chiming in a bit late, but I am not at all displeased with my set up that has 2 completely different subs : the Final Sound bottom firing sub which is by far the better of the 2 subs and my old Trevi front firing sub which comes in around the 40 Hz mark. With just one sub, it became obvious that something was still missing, but now with their output levels more or less the same, that bass is not directionally identified. By the way, my subs have to fill in up to the 120HZ mark as I have the Final Sound 300i Electrostatic Panels.

glad you chimed in...interesting. It appears tough to make 2 subs integrate seamlessly. My 15" is great for movie slam, but is bloated for stereo or Logic7 ( I use this a lot).
Wonder what a quicker 12" or even a 10" sub would do as a compliment...or would it be a compliment?

To Pixel: Def Tech does not make 15's, but i usually buy used anyway.

jpl
12-03-2010, 10:48 AM
glad you chimed in...interesting. It appears tough to make 2 subs integrate seamlessly. My 15" is great for movie slam, but is bloated for stereo or Logic7 ( I use this a lot).
Wonder what a quicker 12" or even a 10" sub would do as a compliment...or would it be a compliment?

To Pixel: Def Tech does not make 15's, but i usually buy used anyway.

For what it's worth, I run two subs, one 12" & one 8", after tweeking them and getting them to run kind of seamlessly, they sound pretty good, the 12" sounds great on the really low thumps, and the 8" covers a higher/tighter pop.

Nasir
12-04-2010, 03:00 PM
You are CORRECT, jpl. Both my subs are 8 inch active beasts ( OK, small beasts ) and it took a while to set them up correctly. A CD with different frequency tones came in handy and the well dispensed advice that if you can hear too much of the sub, then its too loud not only for you but your neighbors too!!! I am also of the school of thought that stuffing a sock into the port gives a better and tighter bass, but I only play it at moderate levels.