I bought a POS Sansui and … [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I bought a POS Sansui and …

rakeford
11-09-2010, 06:14 AM
… I like it.

At local thrift last Friday, I found a Sansui R-410 receiver and a pair of Kenwood LSK-200D speakers for $25. I posted a “Should I buy it thread” on AK, but I got no responses. (Maybe I needed an eye-popping title.) I could not find much info on the web for the R-410 or the LSK-200D. The Sansui has a black aluminum face, a phono input, and 2 tape in/outs. The speakers are vinyl fake wood veneer (surrounds look good, 8 ohm, 75 watts max).

I went back yesterday- it was still there. I plugged some ear buds into the headphone jack to check out the Sansui. Rats, only the left channel was working. I wanted a cheap plug-n-play for the garage, not a fixer-upper. I fiddled with controls to see if the problem was just a dirty contact or pot. Wait-a-minute, now only the right channel is working. Is this good new? Yes, some more fiddling and now both channels are coming in loud and clear. This means some Deoxit on the contacts and pots should put her right. I can deal with that. The bass, treble, and volume all have little-to-none “scratchy” sound when operated.

I take the set to the counter and find out it is 1/2 off appliances day. I got the set for $12.50 plus tax. I bought the speakers without listening to them. The worker ladies were so happy that I cleared some retail space for them.

At home, I set the system up in the garage with a dipole antenna. Hey, wow …, it sounds pretty good. The bass is plentiful and clean. Even on FM, the stereo separation was good.

THE BAD NEW:

The R-410 has no wood or wood veneer on it.
The FM/AM dial looks kind of cheesy.
Both the R-410 and the LSK-200D have the cheap push-tab speaker connectors.
The speaker grills are little ripped up. THE GOOD NEWS

The R-410 has a black anodized aluminum faceplate with a black metal enclosure.
Since there’s no wood, I can keep it in the un-heated, un-air-conditioned garage 24/7/365 for decades.
The tuner and volume are black aluminum and have a solid build and quality to them.
The R-410 is NOT a monster so it fits in the limited space I have.
The vinyl fake wood veneer on the speakers actually looks pretty good.
The volume goes louder than I need it to for my needs.

Mr Peabody
11-09-2010, 05:22 PM
No matter what you got a good deal if everything works. Kenwood speakers generally were not great but they had a nice entry price. The Sansui may be an 80's model based on the black face. I'm not sure when they stopped being the original company. A decent garage system for cheap, you can't beat that.

rakeford
11-09-2010, 05:57 PM
No matter what you got a good deal if everything works. Kenwood speakers generally were not great but they had a nice entry price. The Sansui may be an 80's model based on the black face. I'm not sure when they stopped being the original company. A decent garage system for cheap, you can't beat that.
Thanks Mr P

I found out that the R-410 was made from about 1983-87. I found the specs on the R-610.

Power output
Min. RMS, both channels driven from 40 to 20,000 Hz no more than 0.07% total harmonic distortion ...... 30 watts per channel into 8 ohms

I'm thinking the R-410 is about 25 WPC.

I spent the morning in the garage working on my mountain bike and listening to FM on the R-410/ LSK-200D. It was really pleasant. Nomimal listening volume was 2 of 10 on the volume control (about 9:00 o'clock).

I've been wanting a garage system for some time. The BPC from RadioShack quit tuning a few years ago. I'm glad I found a receiver that fits the application. I extremely happy with my new acquisitons. :)

I may have to get a CD changer for the garage system.

Now I worry about the foam surround in the LSK-200D. Can they withstand the hot/humid/cold cycle of the unheated, un-air-conditioned garage?

Mr Peabody
11-09-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm not sure how well the speakers would hold up to the climate. I wonder if there's much difference in the way the home drivers are built compared to an auto speaker, as far as glue, material etc. I don't think you'll have any problem getting your money's worth out of them :)

dakatabg
11-09-2010, 09:31 PM
I had the same Sansui receiver few years ago! They come in silver and black face! It is all right receiver!

devuonoste
11-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Congrats on your purchase! Nice garage system and at a great price too. Enjoy!

rakeford
11-10-2010, 06:46 AM
I'm not sure how well the speakers would hold up to the climate. I wonder if there's much difference in the way the home drivers are built compared to an auto speaker, as far as glue, material etc. I don't think you'll have any problem getting your money's worth out of them :)
Yea! I've been thinking about using some automotive speakers. I'd think that they're designed to withstand the climate extremes. Another alternative is outdoor speakers. Yet another is the speakers from the BPC RadioShack system still work. Maybe I'll use them. Hey, ... they're Optimus speakers. :ihih: :cornut: :)

I had the same Sansui receiver few years ago! They come in silver and black face! It is all right receiver!
Yes, mine is black anodized, but I've seen pics of sliver faced ones on the web.

Do have manual for the R-410? Do you remember the specifications: WPC, THD, etc.? Thanks.

Congrats on your purchase! Nice garage system and at a great price too. Enjoy!
Thank you.

dakatabg
11-10-2010, 07:20 AM
I never knew the wattage of the receiver! I looked online but I never found a manual! I guess is no more than 50wpc!

I just spotted your post at AK too!

thekid
11-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Sansui started its decline in the early 80's but there were still a few out there that were not too bad. Looks like you found something you like and in the end that is all that matters.

Charlie04SiR
09-09-2011, 04:17 PM
You did pretty good. Are you sure the Kenwoods are LSK-200D? There is a LSK-200D, but those are little black plastic cheapies with paper surround drivers and metal mesh grills. The LSK-200B, are 8 inch, two way suspension design, and those do have foam surrounds. Care to grace us with a few pictures?

rakeford
09-11-2011, 05:21 AM
Cool, today's the "birthday" of my garage system:
Sansui R-410 reciever
Kenwoods LSK-200D speakers.

You did pretty good. Are you sure the Kenwoods are LSK-200D? There is a LSK-200D, but those are little black plastic cheapies with paper surround drivers and metal mesh grills. The LSK-200B, are 8 inch, two way suspension design, and those do have foam surrounds. Care to grace us with a few pictures?
Well, that's what they say, LSK-200D, and they have two elements, an 8" woofer and a single midrange-tweeter.

Yea, I'm not good at posting pics of my audio gear, maybe someday.