Heresy I Before/After Pics [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Heresy I Before/After Pics

thekid
11-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Sorry to start a new thread but I could not find my original post.

Before lucking into my Heresy II's I had also come across a pair of Heresy I's. The problem with the I's was that the tweeters had blown and someone decided to put some type of super tweeter on top of the speaker rather than replace the originals.

I went ahead and found a diaphragm kit which with the help of a fellow audio enthusiast who has better soldering skills were installed in the blown tweeters to bring them back to life. I then filled the holes in the cabinet and this weekend restained them. A few issues here and there but a passable job. I could not entirely hide the corner I had to rebuild but it is the rear corner so not visible from most angles.

Here are some before and after pics.....

Feanor
11-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Sorry to start a new thread but I could not find my original post.

Before lucking into my Heresy II's I had also come across a pair of Heresy I's. The problem with the I's was that the tweeters had blown and someone decided to put some type of super tweeter on top of the speaker rather than replace the originals.

I went ahead and found a diaphragm kit which with the help of a fellow audio enthusiast who has better soldering skills were installed in the blown tweeters to bring them back to life. I then filled the holes in the cabinet and this weekend restained them. A few issues here and there but a passable job. I could not entirely hide the corner I had to rebuild but it is the rear corner so not visible from most angles.

Here are some before and after pics.....
Nice going, Kid. No doubt an improvement is sound as well as sight.

poppachubby
11-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Awesome dude. How do they sound and what are they hooked up to?

dakatabg
11-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Those will sound great with some of my vintage goodies

thekid
11-09-2010, 02:33 AM
Awesome dude. How do they sound and what are they hooked up to?

At the moment they are hooked up to my Sony ES sytem that has been moved to our former dining room but is now where I have my records. The receiver is a Sony GA8ES.
I want to A/B them with the Heresy II's in my main system just to compare the sound. Not sure where they will end up but I am thinking they will replace the Dynaco A-25's currently in the extra bedroom/craft room and be hooked up to a Luxman R-1050.

Soundwise I have not had too much of a chance to audition them and won't for the next two weeks as I will be on the road. Initial low volume playing of classical music is very favorable. They do seem comparable to the Heresy II''s and seem to be a very well balanced speaker. I am not hearing the brightness some people associate with horns. Spec wise the bass is supposed to be able to go slightly lower than II's but the music and volume I am playing them at really does not allow me to make a fair evaluation.

My wife has been on me to reduce some of the gear clutter so I have had to modify two set-ups but I have not decided on the speakers in each place other than the Polk 10's are now the front pair of my all Polk bedroom HT system. I am pretty lucky to be able to have so many quality speakers and I think I will just rotate a few every couple of months through one of the systems. Next project speaker-wise will be to repair the x-overs in my KLH 5's in order to get the tweeters working again.

poppachubby
11-09-2010, 04:15 AM
I hear ya, I need speakers like a hole in the head. That said, let me know what you are getting rid of and perhaps we can strike up a deal.

kid, I think you should sell off a couple systems, make the wife happy and use the proceeds to climb a couple of rungs dude. You need to lay out 3 - 500 for a killer source, whether it be digital or analog. I know you won't regret it and would hear the difference immediately.

I am off of the train now and frankly it's a great feeling.

thekid
11-09-2010, 03:36 PM
I hear ya, I need speakers like a hole in the head. That said, let me know what you are getting rid of and perhaps we can strike up a deal.

kid, I think you should sell off a couple systems, make the wife happy and use the proceeds to climb a couple of rungs dude. You need to lay out 3 - 500 for a killer source, whether it be digital or analog. I know you won't regret it and would hear the difference immediately.

I am off of the train now and frankly it's a great feeling.

I will keep you in mind if anything comes open. I generally stay away from shipping speakers but it might be possible for something smaller llike the Dynaco's or the EPI's.

I have sold off some stuff and probably will again when I can make up my mind. I still enjoy chasing after mid-fi or unusual gear so the wife will always have to deal with some clutter. (Thank god for the garage!)

I know I am bias but my main Adcom set-up is not too many rungs down but I know what you are saying. It would be nice to get a decent tube source or something on the high-end like some of you have. I still feel like a relative newcomer to this hobby and have not really put in the time (certainly not the money) to reach the road's end. Once the kids are out of school and money becomes a little more available then I will become a dangerous man..... :D

Mr Peabody
11-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Good restoration. Kid, don't you have a MSB DAC? I haven't heard one but I thought they were supposed to be pretty good. It's better than entry level isn't it?

You may have said, but have you ever had the Klipsch hooked to the Adcom? That combo rocks pretty well.

thekid
11-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Good restoration. Kid, don't you have a MSB DAC? I haven't heard one but I thought they were supposed to be pretty good. It's better than entry level isn't it?

You may have said, but have you ever had the Klipsch hooked to the Adcom? That combo rocks pretty well.

Thanks Mr. P

Yes I do have a MSB DAC which is a pretty good source and a bit above average. Would someday like to get some of the mods done to it to make it even better.

The Heresy II's are with the Adcom set-up along with a small Velodyne sub. It is a sweet combo and not going anywhere for a long time. :D

JoeE SP9
11-10-2010, 09:29 AM
I have an MSB DAC that was brought up to "Full Nelson" spec. It was a definite improvement over the standard.