Experts say alcohol worse than crack, heroin [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Experts say alcohol worse than crack, heroin

Smokey
11-07-2010, 03:00 AM
Alcohol is a more dangerous drug than both crack and heroin when the combined harms to the user and to others are assessed, British scientists said on Monday.

Presenting a new scale of drug harm that rates the damage to users themselves and to wider society, the scientists rated alcohol the most harmful overall and almost three times as harmful as cocaine or tobacco.

"It is intriguing to note that the two legal drugs assessed -- alcohol and tobacco -- score in the upper segment of the ranking scale, indicating that legal drugs cause at least as much harm as do illegal substances," Nutt, who was formerly head of the influential British Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD), said in a statement about the study.

The World Health Organisation estimates that risks linked to alcohol cause 2.5 million deaths a year from heart and liver disease, road accidents, suicides and cancer -- accounting for 3.8 percent of all deaths.

Drugs were then scored out of 100, with 100 given to the most harmful drug and zero indicating no harm at all.

The scientists found alcohol was most harmful, with a score of 72, followed by heroin with 55 and crack with 54.

Among some of the other drugs assessed were.....

crystal meth (33),
cocaine (27),
tobacco (26),
amphetamine or speed (23),
cannabis (20),
benzodiazepines, such as Valium (15),
ketamine (15),
methadone (14),
mephedrone (13),
ecstasy (9),
anabolic steroids (9),
LSD (7)
and magic mushrooms (5).

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/77438/20101101/alcohol-crack-and-heroin-british-scientists-britain-s-independent-scientific-committee-on-drugs-euro.htm

Poultrygeist
11-07-2010, 03:49 AM
Alcohol no doubt has greater negative impact on society as a whole. I did see a 60 Minute segment a few years ago regarding the healthy consequences of drinking red wine in moderation. They spotlighted a study of a village in France with a very large population over eighty years of age who negated their unhealthy consumption of heavy sauces and creams with red wine.

Feanor
11-07-2010, 04:16 AM
Of course, that study looked at the social harm thus including not only the personal harm to the user but also harm to family and the larger society. In that case it's not at all surprising to see booz so high given that it's the most widely (ab)used drug -- although tobacco has to be close.

Speaking of tobacco, I'm surprised it's not higher given second-hand smoke is a threat to young children in the home.

Cannabis looks pretty innocuous given it's no doubt the next most widely used drug.

poppachubby
11-07-2010, 09:12 AM
No need to be embarrassed anymore I guess...people....I am a crackhead. Don't you drinkers think for a minute about casting judgement on me...it's you guys who need the help.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
11-07-2010, 09:40 AM
No need to be embarrassed anymore I guess...people....I am a crackhead. Don't you drinkers think for a minute about casting judgement on me...it's you guys who need the help.

LOLOL

Cannabis looks pretty innocuous given it's no doubt the next most widely used drug.

We here in California have been trying to get that message out for years now. But you just cannot reach a closed mind, so we have to continue paying for folks in jail arrested for smokin pot. What a waste of money, money that we just don't have anyway. When you are a broke state, you don't continue with policies that got you there.

JohnMichael
11-07-2010, 10:31 AM
LOLOL

We here in California have been trying to get that message out for years now. But you just cannot reach a closed mind, so we have to continue paying for folks in jail arrested for smokin pot. What a waste of money, money that we just don't have anyway. When you are a broke state, you don't continue with policies that got you there.

I have wondered for years why we keep fighting the unwinnable war against drugs. Regulate and tax them so they are affordable. The risk in importing them makes people silly rich smuggling. Legalize pot, coke and heroin and use the revenue to treat addicts. Between the drop in deaths from accidental heroin overdoses and the drop in HIV from shared needles I think we could solve a lot of problems. Would the cartels shoot and kill for the same wages they would make at McDonalds if profits dwindled. Legalize pot and put a tax on Dorito's, problem solved.

poppachubby
11-07-2010, 10:48 AM
I lived in Holland for 1.5 months. There is obviously no stigma attached to weed over there. They enjoy a smaller crime rate with more tax dollars available fro unimportant things like fighting poverty, and social programs. Imagine a country of criminally insane people all running through the streets, smoking their marijuana cigarettes?!? Oh the horror.

I was in Eindhoven. Nothing like hitting the cafe and then watching a live PSV match. That's living.

Dual-500
11-07-2010, 11:20 AM
I have wondered for years why we keep fighting the unwinnable war against drugs. Regulate and tax them so they are affordable. The risk in importing them makes people silly rich smuggling. Legalize pot, coke and heroin and use the revenue to treat addicts. Between the drop in deaths from accidental heroin overdoses and the drop in HIV from shared needles I think we could solve a lot of problems. Would the cartels shoot and kill for the same wages they would make at McDonalds if profits dwindled. Legalize pot and put a tax on Dorito's, problem solved.
Exactly. Legalize marijuana and tax it. Who the hell cares if somebody wants to light up a joint. They can follow the same rules as cigarette and cigar smokers.

It's currently a needless drain on our society.

Smokey
11-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Speaking of tobacco, I'm surprised it's not higher given second-hand smoke is a threat to young children in the home.

I think that is due to smokers becoming more conscience of their suroundings as it is practically illegal to light up in public places. They tend to go outside if somebody in house does not smoke.

No need to be embarrassed anymore I guess...people....I am a crackhead.

That explain alot :D

Mr Peabody
11-08-2010, 01:31 AM
It's very surprising that when put to a vote legalizing marijuana doesn't pass considering the decades smoking it has been around. I have to wonder about the low rating given to LSD or X, can you imagine some one trying to function in their job or daily activities under that influence. It would make life interesting to say the least. Let's just start with the mushrooms, it had the lowest rating, we could get our farmers back to growing something, still create some tax revenue, and they would put a smile on everyone's face.

Worf101
11-08-2010, 07:20 AM
I grew up in the projects of New York. I saw Heroin sweep through the projects as a kid. I know first hand the damage drugs do, both legal and illegal. In all my years I've never seen a pot-head beat his family, sell everything in the house and steal from his parents to get a dime bag of weed. However I've seen junkies and alcoholics do that and all manner of other evil for one more hit or one more drink. If I were President I'd legalize pot tomorrow and release every person convicted of growing and/or smuggling pot immediately. It just makes NO sense.

Worf

Geoffcin
11-08-2010, 11:29 AM
The Netherlands has the most progressive, and by far the most effective drug policy. Addicts there are not criminals but treated for their illness. They also have the lowest STD rates too.

Feanor
11-08-2010, 12:22 PM
The Netherlands has the most progressive, and by far the most effective drug policy. Addicts there are not criminals but treated for their illness. They also have the lowest STD rates too.
Also, it is no longer an offence in Portugal to possess any drug for personal use -- and drug usage has fallen. This quote from a Time article ...

At the Cato Institute in early April, Greenwald contended that a major problem with most American drug policy debate is that it's based on "speculation and fear mongering," rather than empirical evidence on the effects of more lenient drug policies. In Portugal, the effect was to neutralize what had become the country's number one public health problem, he says.

"The impact in the life of families and our society is much lower than it was before decriminalization," says Joao Castel-Branco Goulao, Portugual's "drug czar" and president of the Institute on Drugs and Drug Addiction, adding that police are now able to re-focus on tracking much higher level dealers and larger quantities of drugs.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1893946,00.html#ixzz14ixqRiwg

Ajani
11-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Also, it is no longer an offence in Portugal to possess any drug for personal use -- and drug usage has fallen. This quote from a Time article ...

At the Cato Institute in early April, Greenwald contended that a major problem with most American drug policy debate is that it's based on "speculation and fear mongering," rather than empirical evidence on the effects of more lenient drug policies. In Portugal, the effect was to neutralize what had become the country's number one public health problem, he says.

"The impact in the life of families and our society is much lower than it was before decriminalization," says Joao Castel-Branco Goulao, Portugual's "drug czar" and president of the Institute on Drugs and Drug Addiction, adding that police are now able to re-focus on tracking much higher level dealers and larger quantities of drugs.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1893946,00.html#ixzz14ixqRiwg

The problem is that we are all looking at the drug problem like mature, reasonable individuals..... Which neglects the fact that many problems are only problems because of "speculation and fear mongering"...

Do we really expect drugs and possibly prostitution to be legalized, when all states won't even let gays get married? If the simple issues can't be solved with logic, then I submit to you that we are expecting way too much on the complex ones....

Feanor
11-08-2010, 03:50 PM
The problem is that we are all looking at the drug problem like mature, reasonable individuals..... Which neglects the fact that many problems are only problems because of "speculation and fear mongering"...

Do we really expect drugs and possibly prostitution to be legalized, when all states won't even let gays get married? If the simple issues can't be solved with logic, then I submit to you that we are expecting way too much on the complex ones....
Yes, let's remember what "the problem" really is ...

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/StupidWorld.jpg

Dual-500
11-08-2010, 06:25 PM

I like it.

Ajani
11-10-2010, 02:21 PM

LOL

Exactly!

Lavarda
12-09-2021, 10:18 PM
Please tell me cbd products really help in the fight against addictions or is it a myth?

Jamalun
12-10-2021, 05:20 AM
At least I know that cbd can help you if you have a hangover after drinking alcohol, so to speak. I also advise you to use this useful guide on choosing cbd gummies here https://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/cbd-gummies-buying-guide-2022/Content?oid=37847280, which have become for many people the real embodiment of a quick and effective solution to problems with stress, anxiety and various types of combat sensations. Just find out more about it and you will understand everything.