Knight mono amp KM-15 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Knight mono amp KM-15

frenchmon
11-06-2010, 09:10 AM
I can get this small integrated amp for $10. Dont know if it works. Does any one know anything about it?

http://www.audiophool.cjb.net/Schem_A/Allied_59_RCH-12.gif

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=193440

Feanor
11-06-2010, 10:28 AM
I can get this small integrated amp for $10. Dont know if it works. Does any one know anything about it?

http://www.audiophool.cjb.net/Schem_A/Allied_59_RCH-12.gif

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=193440
Wow! That goes 'way back. I don't know anything specific about Knight, but I recall hear the name back in the early '70s when I first found my interest in hifi.

kelsci
11-06-2010, 11:32 AM
This amp probably goes back to the 1950s or early 60s. Knight was the name of a group of kits made by Allied of Chicago. Eventually Allied merged with Radio Shack. Lafayette too had a sort of similar amp and I have one of those but have not used it in awhile. The Lafayette had terrific tube sound IMHO even for its low output. It is very possible this Knight model will do that too. Remember that this is a mono amplifier but it does run on tubes which may very well give you a nice monophonic sound. The phono input may not be for a magnetic cartridge but rather crystal or ceramic.

frenchmon
11-06-2010, 12:11 PM
I picked up the amp. I plugged it in and it does not work...infact the transformer smells and sounds like its burnt up, but I decided to give the lady at the flea market 10 bucks any way. This will give me some experience tinkering with electronics to which I have no knowledge of at all. If you look at the picture of the drawing in the first link, its that black square thing on the far right that smells like its burnt up, and you can hear a faint crackling sound coming from it. Would it be possible to replace and where would I find one?

frenchmon.

poppachubby
11-06-2010, 12:46 PM
frenchie, you're too funny. You know Cactus Bob has a pair of those right? You should PM him and see what he did to fix them up, his are mint.

Personally, I think you should find a local tech and simply bite the bullet. Find an orphaned speaker and you will have a nice set up for those old jazz mono's.

Please be careful!! Lots of current running through those amps and you can get zapped...bad! Absolutely no metal (screwdrivers) inside while the amp is live. ALWAYS have a load on the amp when it's powered up.

Dude just pay a tech...

frenchmon
11-06-2010, 03:47 PM
frenchie, you're too funny. You know Cactus Bob has a pair of those right? You should PM him and see what he did to fix them up, his are mint.

Yeah. I've always wanted to try and restore something like old audio gear, so heres my chance. It was only ten claims....but it was more about the old lady at the flea market than my self. She wanted $15 at first and I said no thanks seeing it does not work. I left, came home looked at it on line and thought I might make this into a project I've been itching to do. I went back and the old lady had it in the trash. I asked her why and she said she was just discouraged and offered to give it to me for $5...I gave her $10.

Im wondering if I can perhaps try and get another kit close to this one to have stereo?

Personally, I think you should find a local tech and simply bite the bullet. Find an orphaned speaker and you will have a nice set up for those old jazz mono's.

After I try somethings myself.

Please be careful!! Lots of current running through those amps and you can get zapped...bad! Absolutely no metal (screwdrivers) inside while the amp is live. ALWAYS have a load on the amp when it's powered up.

Thanks for the headsup

Dude just pay a tech...

Lol....I might in the long run.

poppachubby
11-06-2010, 04:04 PM
frenchie, check out thetubestore (http://thetubestore.com/books.html). They have manuals and books for guys who want to learn the tube trade.

I applaud your enthusiasm but just be mindful of what you do. No guessing. Sometimes people will tinker and make things worse, then the tech bill doubles as he must now undo your handywork.

Keep in mind I have a brilliant tech at my disposal. I'm sure he won't mind answering some questions...he has rebuilt tons of tube amps.

frenchmon
11-06-2010, 04:13 PM
frenchie, check out thetubestore (http://thetubestore.com/books.html). They have manuals and books for guys who want to learn the tube trade.

I applaud your enthusiasm but just be mindful of what you do. No guessing. Sometimes people will tinker and make things worse, then the tech bill doubles as he must now undo your handywork.

Keep in mind I have a brilliant tech at my disposal. I'm sure he won't mind answering some questions...he has rebuilt tons of tube amps.

Thanks PoppaC....I'l look into it. And thanks man...I know those old electronics hold a charge. When I open her up and if things look to complicated, it off to a tech.

You know Cactus Bob has a pair of those right? You should PM him and see what he did to fix them up, his are mint.

Yeah....I've seen Bobs...they are just stunning. I've also read how he came by his. I know its a long shot, but it would be great if I can find the other one. Mine is dirty and needs to be cleaned. Its only a 12 watt integrated amp, but if I could find another one I could probably get some really good sound with the right speakers.

frenchmon

blackraven
11-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Frenchmon, you should email Frank Van Alstine and see if he has any input on fixing the unit. He may be able to help.

poppachubby
11-06-2010, 06:13 PM
if I could find another one I could probably get some really good sound with the right speakers.

frenchmon

no interest in mono? If you acquire another,for dual mono, how hard are your Cantons to drive? have you read about any tube set ups with cantons?

Mr Peabody
11-06-2010, 09:12 PM
That's funny, she had it in the trash, then wanted $5.00. You're a nice guy Frenchie :)
My only advice, have fun but don't let it become a money pit. You could buy a very good amp for the price of paying a tech to get it up and running. Hermanv don't show up hear much any more but he'd be a great resource for you.

I have a solder gun and miscellaneous I can give you if you need one.

I've seen a couple single Klipsch speakers on CL. I've often wondered how some one end up with a single speaker but..... hey. Especially this one guy who has a brand new LaScalla. What a mono system that would make.

frenchmon
11-07-2010, 04:25 AM
no interest in mono? If you acquire another,for dual mono, how hard are your Cantons to drive? have you read about any tube set ups with cantons?

Yeah Pops it will have to be mono unless I get another one. IF I do get another one it may be a nice bedroom set up. I have an extra turntable and CDP. The Cantons would stay in the main system. I've seen some Klipsch speakers in the pawnshops around here that may do the job nicely.

frenchmon
11-07-2010, 04:29 AM
That's funny, she had it in the trash, then wanted $5.00. You're a nice guy Frenchie :)
My only advice, have fun but don't let it become a money pit. You could buy a very good amp for the price of paying a tech to get it up and running. Hermanv don't show up hear much any more but he'd be a great resource for you.

I have a solder gun and miscellaneous I can give you if you need one.

I've seen a couple single Klipsch speakers on CL. I've often wondered how some one end up with a single speaker but..... hey. Especially this one guy who has a brand new LaScalla. What a mono system that would make.

Yeah Peabody....she needed money. And yes, I thought about that last night, I wont spend to much to try and get it running. Im going to try and do it my self...so I will be asking guys lots of question....and I will get some sort of book. And yes, I may need to borrow those tools from you. Thanks.