Moving computer, 1st time [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Moving computer, 1st time

bubslewis
11-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Hi. Am getting a new computer. Am also planning to move the old computer downstairs and tie it into my main audio system. Never having done this before I need some refresher on the basics here.

I'm sure I need a DAC to convert the data to analog from the computer to the receiver, plus the appropriate cables. Do I need to put anything between the DAC and the computer (like a streamer? Or is a streamer just a small DAC used for computers only?).

Seems to me a DAC with multiple inputs would be appropriate if I wanted to also use it for my CD player. Am thinking of also upgrading my CD player, since it's time for that also and my current CD player doesn't have digital outputs (which I believe are needed if you want to go from your CD player thru a DAC to a reciever).

Audio advisor has a couple of DAC's in the $400 - $600 range (Musical Fidelity, Cambridge, PS Audio) which have possibilities here.

Do I have the basics correct? Any recommendations?

Thanks, Bill

Ajani
11-04-2010, 03:51 PM
You have the basics down.

The HRT streamers are DACs (USB only - so strictly for use with a computer)

All 3 of the brands you mention are good options for multiple input DACs...

I'd opt for either the PS Audio Dlink 3 or the Musical Fidelity M1DAC over either the Cambridge Audio Dacmagic or the Musical Fidelity V-DAC....

Feanor
11-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Hi. Am getting a new computer. Am also planning to move the old computer downstairs and tie it into my main audio system. Never having done this before I need some refresher on the basics here.

I'm sure I need a DAC to convert the data to analog from the computer to the receiver, plus the appropriate cables. Do I need to put anything between the DAC and the computer (like a streamer? Or is a streamer just a small DAC used for computers only?).

Seems to me a DAC with multiple inputs would be appropriate if I wanted to also use it for my CD player. Am thinking of also upgrading my CD player, since it's time for that also and my current CD player doesn't have digital outputs (which I believe are needed if you want to go from your CD player thru a DAC to a reciever).

Audio advisor has a couple of DAC's in the $400 - $600 range (Musical Fidelity, Cambridge, PS Audio) which have possibilities here.

Do I have the basics correct? Any recommendations?

Thanks, Bill
You've definitely got the general idea, Bubs. But beware that the whole thing can become too, too complicated given the huge number of options that exist.

Of course the simplest option is simply to take the stereo sound from a 3.5mm computer output through an adaptor to standard RCA cables. However you're likely to get much better sound from an external DAC equiped with USB input. My advice: try the Musical Fidelity V-DAC and see how you like it; (it does have coax and optical inputs as well as USB).

N.B. As important as agonizing over which DAC to choose is the issue of your computer setup. Some questions:

What operating system does it use?
Do you intend to use your computer as a "dedicated" music machine?
Do you what to access the Internet to download and/or stream music?
Will you use that machine to rip CDs to audio files?
What computer music format do you want to use?Answers here will determine how you configure your computer and how it will perform and sound. A few suggestions of mine are ...

Rip CDs to a lossless format such as FLAC, which I recommend specifically. (Conventional audiophool advice is to rip to WAV but this consumes twice the disk space with no sonic or other important advantages, IMO.)
Avoid iTunes or WMP (assuming a Windows OS), instead choose Foobar2000, J.River Jukebox, or Media Monkey as your music player. Configure these to use the WASAPI interface instead of the Windows-standard "Direct Sound" audio stack.
Use EAC or dBpoweramp to rip your CDs (rather than iTunes or WMP). I recommend the latter as just as accurate and a lot easier to use. dBpoweramp also is a superb audio file format converter.
Make your machine a "dedicated" music device if possible. In effect, eliminated a programs other than your player and ripper. If you want to stream from the Internet you'll need a browser of course, but I suggest you don't browse or download files on that machine. If dedicated in this way your can (a) dispense with anti-virus, and (b) disable unnecessary Start Up programs and Windows Services; these measures will hugely reduce drop-outs, hiccups, and other sonic glitches that pertain the computer trying to do things other than play your music.
IMO, it is safe and practical to connect your music computer to you home net work; a wired connection might be perferable to wireless but not necessarily. I store my music on my Windows Home Server machine whence it feeds my dedicated music machine as well as any other computer in the housed.

blackraven
11-06-2010, 09:25 AM
I agree with Ajani on the Digilink III. You can find them used on audiogon.com in your price range.

02audionoob
11-06-2010, 09:47 AM
And there are some nice gadgets out there for less dough if you're interested...

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackPro.html

JoeE SP9
11-07-2010, 02:24 PM
The Grant Fidelity DAC-09 is something to consider. It has 5 inputs, a switchable tube buffer, volume control and a headphone output. It can operate as a full DAC/preamp. It's $225.

The new Emotiva XDA-1 at $299 looks like a real winner! It may put the FEAR in a lot of other manufacturers. It's not yet available though. I'm eagerly awaiting some actual user reviews of it. They'll probably raise the price after the original shipments.

bubslewis
11-10-2010, 07:45 PM
Thanks to everybody for all the feedback. As of right now, the old computer is not hooked up to the internet, although I can put a splitter on the cable downstairs and hook up to the internet ( if that doesn't degrade the cable signal too much since I've already got it split 7 ways thru the house). It runs Windows Vista and I have all my music libraries in I Tunes.

My basic thought was to just use it as a dedicated music library, no internet to start. I would burn a CD off I Tunes on the new computer upstairs, then bring the disc downstairs and load it into the old computer library.

Sounds like to me, however, that I Tunes isn't optimal for quality. Lots of options to consider here.
tx,
Bill