Newer graphics cards with older comp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newer graphics cards with older comp

audio amateur
11-04-2010, 06:21 AM
Hi guys,
I need some quick advice on purchasing a graphics card. I'd like to purchase a second hand computer, and install a recent GC with HDMI output which could be used for some gaming and HD playback. I have my eye on some older Dells (compact case) that boast the early generation dual cores (LGA 775 socket).

Could you advise me on some decent cheaper cards (under 100 bucks new). Also, Id like to know about compatiblity issues i may be presented with (2.0 Express GC bus with older motherboard?) and whether I really need DDR5 RAM and how much of it.
Thanks!

Forgot to mention the smaller case, and if I might encounter problems there

BadAssJazz
11-04-2010, 07:53 AM
I'm no computer guru, but once upon a time Dell was notorious for compatibility issues. I'd touch base with their technical support if you plan on buying an old Dell PC. They can steer you in the right direction.

As for graphics card suggestions, I usually read up on recommendations at tom's hardware website. Very informative and a great feedback from the community there.

http://www.tomshardware.com/us/

pixelthis
11-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Hi guys,
I need some quick advice on purchasing a graphics card. I'd like to purchase a second hand computer, and install a recent GC with HDMI output which could be used for some gaming and HD playback. I have my eye on some older Dells (compact case) that boast the early generation dual cores (LGA 775 socket).

Could you advise me on some decent cheaper cards (under 100 bucks new). Also, Id like to know about compatiblity issues i may be presented with (2.0 Express GC bus with older motherboard?) and whether I really need DDR5 RAM and how much of it.
Thanks!

Forgot to mention the smaller case, and if I might encounter problems there

No prob with a smaller case, as long as the board is AT.
max bus speed is important, also some older computers don't have PCII, which you
will probably need.
The good news is that with pciII you can get a pretty cheap card with huge performance.
For 90 bucks I got an ATI with 500 mb and a fast proc, and HDMI.
Runs HD fine. Your main proc speed is not as important as your video proc on your card.
But I WOULD get a dual core at least.
One note, some say that AGP 4 on an older board will save you some bucks, and it will,
AGP is obsolete, the videocards are cheap, but my old computer had AGP4, and it couldnt handle HD, so make sure your computer has PCIII, OR plus, or whatever they're calling it this week.:1:

Worf101
11-04-2010, 06:03 PM
I roll my own puter's and have been putting off a new rig for years now. I'm running an AMD FX-60 with an ATI 3870 graphics card so I'm bout in the same boat you are. Slow and leaky. I tried to upgrade to an 5000 series ATI card and it didn't work. I'm not sure if it was a question of too old of a Motherboard, bad card or what. I don't know if there's anything in the $100 dollar range that's gonna do you much good unless you buy a used higher level card which might be your best bet. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Worf

Worf101
11-05-2010, 05:31 AM
Here's some offerings around $100 that you can try.

Radeon HD 5670

GeForce GTS 250

You can git this card for about $130, ths is what I would buy.

Radeon HD 5750 1 GB

I'd recommend wiping all the current video drivers on your machine first. Go to website, get latest drivers put on hard drive or thumb drive.
Un-install old card, install new card. Boot using Window's basic video drivers. When prompted to install drivers for new device point it at new drivers or just run new driver suite. Reboot and rinse.

Worf

blackraven
11-05-2010, 09:15 AM
I would consider this Nvidia 9800 GT if you have PCI 2.0 express slots. It was a beast of a card in its heyday. I have the 9800 gt in my laptop and it plays Crysis on medium settings.

I know you are looking at desk top GPU's but here is a comparison chart on mobile GPU's that will give you some idea where the mobile 9800 GT stands against current cards-

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-9800M-GT.9906.0.html

and here's Toms Hardware-

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-cards-charts-2009-high-quality/Left4Dead,1815.html

If you go this route, make sure you get the 9800gt with 1 gig Video Memory as it is a much better card than the one with 512 Vram

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=nvidia+9800gt&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=14071687171819125879&ei=qTrUTNiWJ8ehnQfH5PjtBQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDIQ8wIwAw#

One last piece of advice. You must consider the power supply. Many of the higher generation cards including older cards like the 9800 GT need a 600 to 700 watt power supply.

pixelthis
11-05-2010, 11:21 AM
I roll my own puter's and have been putting off a new rig for years now. I'm running an AMD FX-60 with an ATI 3870 graphics card so I'm bout in the same boat you are. Slow and leaky. I tried to upgrade to an 5000 series ATI card and it didn't work. I'm not sure if it was a question of too old of a Motherboard, bad card or what. I don't know if there's anything in the $100 dollar range that's gonna do you much good unless you buy a used higher level card which might be your best bet. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Worf

I built three, and finally got tired of it. MY current HP has an atx case, cost five C notes,
and after adding a decent video card and a one TB HD it was ready to go.
EASY to work on too, and has still more room for expansion. When you can get a 2.7
dual proc with 8 gig of ram and a 750 hard drive, fast FSB, building becomes more of a hassle than its worth, you don't save that much. With upgrades I have 7 or 8 in it.
Can't beat that with a stick.:1:

audio amateur
11-16-2010, 08:59 AM
Thanks guys. I finally went with a kit pc that cost me 200 bucks. It sports entry level AMD processor, 2 gigs DD3 memory, 500GB HDD, dvd burner, case and power supply. Ill be purchasing a 5000 series graphics card with HDMI out. I won't have to worry about compatibility problems.
It will be hooked up to my 50" 3D plasma :D