Another Emo sale! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Another Emo sale!

Mr Peabody
11-03-2010, 05:42 PM
http://emotiva.com/

An XPA-2 for $709.00, wow! Several other pieces too.

kexodusc
11-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Hey look at that! Now I'm interested. I have a $100 certificate to use up too...thinking of trying the USP-1, might go well in my workout room with my Adcom GFA 535.
XPA-2 is damn tempting...way overkill for any of my speakers at present though, but that could motivate me to build something bigger...hmmmm.

Ajani
11-04-2010, 07:44 AM
If you really are thinking of buying some more EMO gear: now is the time...

The sale is while supplies last...

Beginning January of 2011, prices are going to increase slightly to reflect their increased production costs...

Hyfi
11-04-2010, 08:54 AM
What is the word on their speakers? Mr P did the subs but I have not heard anyone talk about their speakers.

Ajani
11-04-2010, 09:33 AM
What is the word on their speakers? Mr P did the subs but I have not heard anyone talk about their speakers.

I haven't heard anything bad about them, but nothing really exceptional either... Sounds like they are good for money, but speakers tends to be a more personal choice than electronics...

If you are interested, you could always try them and return them if they don't do it for you...

Also, they have a new line of speakers coming out early next year: The X-Ref line...

GMichael
11-04-2010, 09:40 AM
:cryin: :cryin: :cryin: :cryin: :cryin:

Hyfi
11-04-2010, 09:42 AM
I haven't heard anything bad about them, but nothing really exceptional either... Sounds like they are good for money, but speakers tends to be a more personal choice than electronics...

If you are interested, you could always try them and return them if they don't do it for you...

Also, they have a new line of speakers coming out early next year: The X-Ref line...

I was just mainly interested for the knowledge since everyone raves about the electronics. I'm not in the market for speakers anytime soon. Gonna be hard to do better than the Clearfields for anything close to their original price, and the $100 I paid for them. I also still love my Dynaudio 82s also.

pixelthis
11-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Somebody buy their new preamp and let me know how it is.
PLEASE.:1:

GMichael
11-04-2010, 12:04 PM
NOOOOOOOO.......!

I don't want to know how good it is...:incazzato:

Ajani
11-04-2010, 12:10 PM

Which one?

The XSP-1 $800 (expected to be released early 2011) - analog pre-amp

OR

The XDA-1 $300 (pre-order) - DAC/digital pre-amp

If it's the XDA-1, I'm on the pre-order list... So I'll write a review of how it sounds connected directly to my XPA-2 (versus my DAC1)...

kexodusc
11-05-2010, 04:51 AM
I'm on the pre-order list for the Dac thingy too. I was fairly impressed with the the DAC's ERC-1 that I figured that thing will do a better job with all my FLAC files since we're streaming more.

But to be honest, I've heard better things about the USP-1 and it might be a better small addition in my 2-ch rig or maybe my workout room with an idle Adcom amp I have left where the old NAD 3020 and 3140's are currently splitting duty.

Ajani
11-05-2010, 05:16 AM
I'm on the pre-order list for the Dac thingy too. I was fairly impressed with the the DAC's ERC-1 that I figured that thing will do a better job with all my FLAC files since we're streaming more.

But to be honest, I've heard better things about the USP-1 and it might be a better small addition in my 2-ch rig or maybe my workout room with an idle Adcom amp I have left where the old NAD 3020 and 3140's are currently splitting duty.

If you plan to use a digital only system, then the XDA-1 is supposed to be the best option direct to your power amp...

Emotiva (Lonnie) says it has better sound quality than the USP-1, and in his tests the system sounded best driving the amps directly with the XDA-1 and no USP-1 in between...

So unless you plan to use a turntable with it, the XDA-1 is cheaper and sounds better than the USP-1...

Also the XDA-1 sounds better than the ERC-1 (all according to Emo)....

kexodusc
11-05-2010, 06:34 AM
Yeah with my $100 off certificate that might be the way to go. At $199 you're pretty much happy if it just works.

pixelthis
11-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Which one?

The XSP-1 $800 (expected to be released early 2011) - analog pre-amp

OR

The XDA-1 $300 (pre-order) - DAC/digital pre-amp

If it's the XDA-1, I'm on the pre-order list... So I'll write a review of how it sounds connected directly to my XPA-2 (versus my DAC1)...

The XDA-1 .
LOOKS like it would fit several applications, some at the same time.
An external DAC for a computer, and a preamp for a audio only system.
I AWAIT your review. Thanks:1:

Ajani
11-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Yeah with my $100 off certificate that might be the way to go. At $199 you're pretty much happy if it just works.

lol... At that price it's almost guaranteed to be worth the money...

The initial buzz from persons who checked out the XDA-1 at RMAF was very good... It seems even Emo's competitors were quick to check out the XDA-1... So I really hope the product lives up to the hype...

Considering Emo recommends pairing it directly with 2 XPA-1s ($2K) then clearly they have confidence in its sound quality...

Mr Peabody
11-05-2010, 06:51 PM
That would be something if the XDA was better than the USP & ERC, how would they sell any more of the USP/ERC. I can tell you the USP doesn't have the same build quality as the ERC, at least on the outside. I opened the USP and saw the cheezy remote after buying an ERC first and wondered what was going on. The USP sounds pretty good but I haven't had many others to compare it to.

Mr Peabody
11-05-2010, 07:03 PM
That would be something if the XDA was better than the USP & ERC, how would they sell any more of the USP/ERC. I can tell you the USP doesn't have the same build quality as the ERC, at least on the outside. I opened the USP and saw the cheezy remote after buying an ERC first and wondered what was going on. The USP sounds pretty good but I haven't had many others to compare it to.

Mr Peabody
11-05-2010, 07:05 PM
BTW, Pix it's time for you to buy and let, us know.

kexodusc
11-06-2010, 04:25 AM
Yeah, Pix...quit being so cheap and pull the trigger already. Mr. P, Ajani and I have guinea pigged enough already :)

pixelthis
11-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Yeah, Pix...quit being so cheap and pull the trigger already. Mr. P, Ajani and I have guinea pigged enough already :)

Cheap?
I HAVE a line of credit at the place I usually do business with, and thats IT.
You wanna loan me three C notes and I WOULD BE GLAD to check out this bad boy for you.
RIGHT now my finances are horrendous, and I am on a "only if something blows up"
mode. IF this thing produced gasoline outta left over pot pies, then you have a deal.
Otherwise my Integra is only a year or so old and makes a great pre-amp.
SO unless I can get it at my hook up, it will have to wait.
AND wait.
AND wait...
AND (get the picture)?:1:

kexodusc
11-07-2010, 03:58 AM
Cheap?
I HAVE a line of credit at the place I usually do business with, and thats IT.
You wanna loan me three C notes and I WOULD BE GLAD to check out this bad boy for you.
RIGHT now my finances are horrendous, and I am on a "only if something blows up"
mode. IF this thing produced gasoline outta left over pot pies, then you have a deal.
Otherwise my Integra is only a year or so old and makes a great pre-amp.
SO unless I can get it at my hook up, it will have to wait.
AND wait.
AND wait...
AND (get the picture)?:1:

Yeah, my wife cut off my spending a few months back too, and I've bought enough new gizmos this year to risk another. Maybe we could all cash in our empties, sell some blood, and have an ar.com draw for the winner to try this out? :(

Or GM's gotta pull off the win at Bingo!

Ajani
11-07-2010, 01:58 PM

BTW, The USP has a new remote of the quality of other EMO remotes:

http://emotiva.com/usp1.shtm

Mr Peabody
11-08-2010, 01:08 AM
I wonder if they took a lot of flack over the cheezy remote and stepped it up. My USP-1 remote is small and plastic, the ERC-1 looks like it was chizzled out of a solid block of aluminum. If the USP-1 went to an aluminum remote it's interesting the price stayed the same, maybe I should see about a remote upgrade.

Ajani
11-08-2010, 03:38 AM
I wonder if they took a lot of flack over the cheezy remote and stepped it up. My USP-1 remote is small and plastic, the ERC-1 looks like it was chizzled out of a solid block of aluminum. If the USP-1 went to an aluminum remote it's interesting the price stayed the same, maybe I should see about a remote upgrade.

I believe they did (probably still do) offer a remote upgrade. So it would be worth investigating...

kexodusc
11-08-2010, 01:02 PM
The UMC-1 shipped with a small crappy remote, but they later sent me a remote pretty much the same chassis as the ERC-1. It's good and heavy and feels nice, but to be honest, I use a Harmony remote anyway so not a feature I value very much. Some people probably care more than others. I'd probably have opted for a crappier remote to save a few dollars, those without a Harmony remote probably wouldn't.

pixelthis
11-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Yeah, my wife cut off my spending a few months back too, and I've bought enough new gizmos this year to risk another. Maybe we could all cash in our empties, sell some blood, and have an ar.com draw for the winner to try this out? :(

Or GM's gotta pull off the win at Bingo!

I would check on the price of kidneys, but I only have the one ever since I WOKE UP
in that motel room outside of town, covered in ICE...
Oh well, only have 280$ to go in the old penny jar...:1:

pixelthis
11-08-2010, 03:48 PM
NOOOOOOOO.......!

I don't want to know how good it is...:incazzato:

explains a lot.:1:

Ajani
11-13-2010, 03:39 PM
I got an e-mail from Emotiva yesterday for me to contact them about payment details, as my DAC should be shipping around the 24th of this month... So assuming all goes well, I'll give my initial impressions in a few weeks...

Mingus
11-13-2010, 04:55 PM
That's great. I also pre-order the XDA-1 about a week ago. I plan to connect it to the SB touch and the Sony bluray player which has two digital outs.

Mr Peabody
11-13-2010, 06:44 PM
From just the input here it looks like the XDA may be a hot item if similar enthusiasm is in other places as well.

Ajani
11-13-2010, 07:11 PM
From just the input here it looks like the XDA may be a hot item if similar enthusiasm is in other places as well.

It's already sold out before the 1st shipment has arrived... So only those of us early on the pre-order list are getting DACs from the 1st shipment... Other persons who have pre-ordered have to wait for the next shipment...

Of course the initial reviews from us 1st shipment guinea pigs will likely increase or destroy the demand for the XDA-1...

Ajani
11-30-2010, 07:15 AM
I just received my Fedex tracking number, so my XDA-1 should be here in a few days... Initial impressions and comparisons with my Benchmark DAC1 will be available shortly thereafter...

kexodusc
11-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Oh good, we like guinea pigs 'round these parts :)
Let us know your thoughts.

Ajani
11-30-2010, 10:16 AM
First impressions are in on the Emotiva Forums from a user called briank. Just scroll through and you'll see several post of his initial impressions...

To summarize: he's really impressed so far... Finds it to be a definite improvement over the ERC1

EDIT: briank also agrees with Lonnie (Chief Engineer/Designer/Whatever at Emotiva) that the real increase in performance comes from connecting the XDA-1 direct to your power amp, rather than through the USP-1...

I'm really excited as that is exactly how I intend to use it...

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=preampdac&action=display&thread=14863&page=3

JoeE SP9
11-30-2010, 05:34 PM
The Emotiva products I've heard are IMO a very good buy. However, I'm inclined to be a little skeptical of reviews by Emotiva "lovers" published on Emotiva's web site.

Reading a bad or negative review of any Emotive product isn't going to happen often, if ever at the Emotiva Lounge. I'm not suggesting they are censored or influenced by the manufacturer. On a site where virtually all the posters are extremely enthusiastic owners or "wanna be" owners can you expect anything else? I'm waiting for reviews from some independents who aren't so connected to Emotiva.

Ajani
11-30-2010, 05:56 PM
The Emotiva products I've heard are IMO a very good buy. However, I'm inclined to be a little skeptical of reviews by Emotiva "lovers" published on Emotiva's web site.

Reading a bad or negative review of any Emotive product isn't going to happen often, if ever at the Emotiva Lounge. I'm not suggesting they are censored or influenced by the manufacturer. On a site where virtually all the posters are extremely enthusiastic owners or "wanna be" owners can you expect anything else? I'm waiting for reviews from some independents who aren't so connected to Emotiva.

Emotiva forums are like forums for any other manufacturer... Meaning that if you hang out there, chances are high that you are a fanboy (I guess chances are that I'm a fanboy and just haven't realized it yet)... So caution should always be taken when reading feedback from fanboys... However, I do find that there is also some rather frank conversation that occurs on the Emo forums about new products... Generally, Emotiva seems to be quite open to constructive feedback and doesn't appear to do much censoring...

Ajani
12-03-2010, 11:47 AM
My first impressions of the XDA-1 are out:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=35695

I'll update later when the DAC has some more hours under it's belt...

Feanor
12-03-2010, 12:02 PM
If you plan to use a digital only system, then the XDA-1 is supposed to be the best option direct to your power amp...

Emotiva (Lonnie) says it has better sound quality than the USP-1, and in his tests the system sounded best driving the amps directly with the XDA-1 and no USP-1 in between...

So unless you plan to use a turntable with it, the XDA-1 is cheaper and sounds better than the USP-1...

Also the XDA-1 sounds better than the ERC-1 (all according to Emo)....
The XDA-1 is DAMNED tempting. I had any money I'd go for in second. :frown5:

Ajani
12-07-2010, 07:35 AM
The XDA-1 is DAMNED tempting. I had any money I'd go for in second. :frown5:

If you have $300 to spare, the XDA-1 is an easy recommendation. The combination of price, features, sound quality and looks is unbeatable... But in absolute sonic terms I prefer my Benchmark DAC1... However, there's no shame in the $300 XDA-1 being beaten by the $1K DAC1 and besides someone else might prefer the XDA-1 to the DAC1...

poppachubby
12-07-2010, 08:36 AM
If you have $300 to spare, the XDA-1 is an easy recommendation. The combination of price, features, sound quality and looks is unbeatable... But in absolute sonic terms I prefer my Benchmark DAC1... However, there's no shame in the $300 XDA-1 being beaten by the $1K DAC1 and besides someone else might prefer the XDA-1 to the DAC1...

Glad to hear it sounds good and worked out for you. I would be interested in how it stacks up against the Beresford TC-7520 (http://www.beresford-dac.com/)which has been wearing the crown of sub-$500 dacs for sometime now.

I would also like to know how it sounds against the Cambridge Audio dacMagic. The dacMagic is a much OVERrated unit IMO.

Ajani
12-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Glad to hear it sounds good and worked out for you. I would be interested in how it stacks up against the Beresford TC-7520 (http://www.beresford-dac.com/)which has been wearing the crown of sub-$500 dacs for sometime now.

I would also like to know how it sounds against the Cambridge Audio dacMagic. The dacMagic is a much OVERrated unit IMO.

On the Emo forums it has been compared favourably against the DACMagic, MusicHall 25.2 & NuForce and Jolida entry level DACs... I expect it to hold it's own against any sub $700 DAC... And not be embarrassed against the $1K ones (though I wouldn't expect it to beat those ones)...

eisforelectronic
01-02-2011, 05:29 PM
I ordered an UMC-1 and a XPA-3, hopefully it'll be a considerable inprovement over my Denon receiver.

Mr Peabody
01-02-2011, 08:28 PM
I believe you may be the first here to try a processor, be sure to let us know how the system works out.

kexodusc
01-03-2011, 05:05 AM
Not the first - I have one, think I wrote some comparisons with an Integra unit I tried out too last spring. I like my UMC-1, and if the firmware and interface were good from the start I'd probably like it more. I wouldn't recommend it as strongly as their amps or CD player, but for people looking to upgrade from a receiver without dropping $2k or more on an Anthem, it's hard to argue against.

I bet that XPA-3 makes it sing though.

Ajani
01-03-2011, 05:24 AM
Not the first - I have one, think I wrote some comparisons with an Integra unit I tried out too last spring. I like my UMC-1, and if the firmware and interface were good from the start I'd probably like it more. I wouldn't recommend it as strongly as their amps or CD player, but for people looking to upgrade from a receiver without dropping $2k or more on an Anthem, it's hard to argue against.

I bet that XPA-3 makes it sing though.

I had a very similar experience with their DAC... Had it been right from the start I'd probably like it a lot more... For $300 it's hard to argue against, but I wouldn't recommend it the way I would my XPA-2 amp...

Mr Peabody
01-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Ooop! Kex you are right, I remember that now you refreshed my memory.

Emo needs to be careful, the word is getting out on them fast as being gear that is a good bang for buck but too many of these issues and people will begin to shy away. They may becoming larger than their little group of employees can handle.

kexodusc
01-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Ooop! Kex you are right, I remember that now you refreshed my memory.

Emo needs to be careful, the word is getting out on them fast as being gear that is a good bang for buck but too many of these issues and people will begin to shy away. They may becoming larger than their little group of employees can handle.
I think you hit the nail on the head. They obviously have some good connections in the industry as they have access to some great design/production capabilities. But too much, too fast, can backfire if they build a reputation of bugs and glitches. The UMC-1 was not very good when I got it. It sounded great in analog but too many digital/firmware issues made me want to pull my hair out. So much so I had another product in my home ready to make a switch. I gave them longer than I probably would have for any other component because so many companies are having issues with HDMI generation processors (Emo's not alone for sure).

But to have a few issues with another new product, the XDA-1, is disappointing. I probably would have bought one but now I'll wait and see. They've been more than reasonable with issues from my perspective. I bet they've learned a lot of lessons along the way. If they haven't, their next generation of products won't get the eager buyers.

To be honest, I just don't have burning need to upgrade anything except maybe speakers these days. I need to buy a bigger vehicle and a **** load of baby stuff soon. :cornut:

kexodusc
01-03-2011, 05:53 PM
I had a very similar experience with their DAC... Had it been right from the start I'd probably like it a lot more... For $300 it's hard to argue against, but I wouldn't recommend it the way I would my XPA-2 amp...

Let me know when you're ready to sell that sucker to upgrade to mono-bocks! :cornut:

Ajani
01-03-2011, 06:20 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head. They obviously have some good connections in the industry as they have access to some great design/production capabilities. But too much, too fast, can backfire if they build a reputation of bugs and glitches. The UMC-1 was not very good when I got it. It sounded great in analog but too many digital/firmware issues made me want to pull my hair out. So much so I had another product in my home ready to make a switch. I gave them longer than I probably would have for any other component because so many companies are having issues with HDMI generation processors (Emo's not alone for sure).

But to have a few issues with another new product, the XDA-1, is disappointing. I probably would have bought one but now I'll wait and see. They've been more than reasonable with issues from my perspective. I bet they've learned a lot of lessons along the way. If they haven't, their next generation of products won't get the eager buyers.

To be honest, I just don't have burning need to upgrade anything except maybe speakers these days. I need to buy a bigger vehicle and a **** load of baby stuff soon. :cornut:

The issue Mr Peabody raised was also raised by myself and a few others on the Emotiva forums... However, we got shot down hard by the ultra fan-boys, who believe Emo is perfect... I just hope the words of warning were taken seriously by the powers that be at Emo...

As for the the issues with the XDA-1, I regard it as a bigger mess up than the UMC... While the UMC had far more bugs and took much longer to resolve them, they were at least user serviceable (required a software update - well, several updates)... The Volume Control problem with the XDA is a major screw up (though Emo won't admit it) as it requires users to ship their units back to Emo for correction... So for overseas customers like myself, the fix just isn't worth the extra shipping costs (nor is returning the unit for a refund).... So it means some of us are left permanently disgruntled about the product.... That is the absolute worst thing you can have when your sales are largely based on good word of mouth...

devuonoste
01-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Hopefully the issues with these products gets FULLY resolved soon. I know many companies try to minimize the amount of money they will have to spend to resolve product issues but they need to realize that they should not create a scenario where ANY of their customers should have to incurr any costs or any type of significant inconveniences. The world is a very small place, so to speak, nowadays and it doesn't take very many unhappy customers to ruin a companies reputation. From what I've seen and experienced with Emotiva, it is a good company and hopefully they acknowledge and try to resolve their customers concerns with both product issues and concerns brought to light by Mr. P, Ajani and others so they can continue to be a good company.

Ajani
01-04-2011, 01:18 AM
Let me know when you're ready to sell that sucker to upgrade to mono-bocks! :cornut:

LOL... Not gonna happen anytime soon....

pixelthis
01-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Hopefully the issues with these products gets FULLY resolved soon. I know many companies try to minimize the amount of money they will have to spend to resolve product issues but they need to realize that they should not create a scenario where ANY of their customers should have to incurr any costs or any type of significant inconveniences. The world is a very small place, so to speak, nowadays and it doesn't take very many unhappy customers to ruin a companies reputation. From what I've seen and experienced with Emotiva, it is a good company and hopefully they acknowledge and try to resolve their customers concerns with both product issues and concerns brought to light by Mr. P, Ajani and others so they can continue to be a good company.

Building an amp is a lot less complicated than something like that snazzy new digital amp
of theirs, as they are finding out.
But thats what you get being a pioneer, which is what a customer who buys a new product is.
You know pioneers, don't ya? The guys with the arrows sticking outta their backs.
But on the upside, you get to play with a new toy early(and I BENEFIT from your hard earned knowledge).:1:

Ajani
01-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Building an amp is a lot less complicated than something like that snazzy new digital amp
of theirs, as they are finding out.
But thats what you get being a pioneer, which is what a customer who buys a new product is.
You know pioneers, don't ya? The guys with the arrows sticking outta their backs.
But on the upside, you get to play with a new toy early(and I BENEFIT from your hard earned knowledge).:1:

Yep.... too true... It's always a risk being an early adopter... Problem is that the feedback from us pioneers can make or break a new product.... So it's much better for a company to take their time and get the launch right, than to have to try and overcome bad early feedback...