Kenwood KD-2055 Auto Return help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood KD-2055 Auto Return help

vinylgroove
11-03-2010, 08:41 AM
I just picked up a Kenwood KD-2055 at a thrift store for $30. First off, I must say that this is a substantial upgrade from my Realistic LAB-440. I'm hearing things in my records that I've never heard before. The only problem is that the auto return doesn't work. The needle just sits in the end loop when the side is done. I downloaded the manual and the repair guide, but once I started to take the table apart, I became a little overwhelmed and I didn't want to ruin the table.

Does anyone know of any common problems with these tables and the auto return? I'm not opposed to taking the table apart again, I just don't like doing this sort of thing blind.....especially when I'm so enamored with the quality of the playback.

vinylgroove
11-03-2010, 10:10 AM
I just picked up a Kenwood KD-2055 at a thrift store for $30. First off, I must say that this is a substantial upgrade from my Realistic LAB-440. I'm hearing things in my records that I've never heard before. The only problem is that the auto return doesn't work. The needle just sits in the end loop when the side is done. I downloaded the manual and the repair guide, but once I started to take the table apart, I became a little overwhelmed and I didn't want to ruin the table.

Does anyone know of any common problems with these tables and the auto return? I'm not opposed to taking the table apart again, I just don't like doing this sort of thing blind.....especially when I'm so enamored with the quality of the playback.

kelsci
11-03-2010, 10:45 AM
I am sorry that I cannot help you but back in the near mid 70s my brother had a Kenwood direct drive turntable with auto return. I thought it was a very fine table to say the least. So it does not surprise me that you had better performance with this unit then the previous RS unit you own. What it is that makes some tables better than others I really do not know but there is most certainly inherent differences that can make vinyl play better on one table versus another. Perhaps it is differences in resonance or the wires used as well as turntable regidity. This is not to say that one should buy a 40,000 dollar turntable for their vinyl.

budgetaudio76
11-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Table is made of faux marble. I forget the exact term for it. But it is excellent. I should know i have one as well. My cart is a super Om 10 by ortofon.

Very solid table and you got yours for 20 less than i got mine for. I dont think this table comes with auto return. Though not certain of it. As its been over a year since i looked into it.

02audionoob
11-05-2010, 08:36 PM
From what I can see at the Vinyl Engine site, it does indeed have auto return. So if it's not engaging the detection arm, it appears there is an adjustment knob for that. If it's engaging but not moving, maybe it's the elevation tip.

budgetaudio76
11-06-2010, 09:14 PM
On mine there is a cut button. That activates the return mechanism. That part works on mine.

vinylgroove
11-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Mine does have the cut button......I have to push cut in order to lift the arm at the end of the record. Problem is it doesn't trigger the auto return. I tried to set the platter according to another forum to ensure that the pin triggers the cut at the right time, but I think the auto return is just disconnected. To bad too, I kinda like the AR feature.

budgetaudio76
11-15-2010, 09:17 PM
it just may be a belt issue, Or just that the function needs to be relubed. Very likely to be as simple as that...pm sent.

Apparently your PM functrion is none working.
Dont use just any lube, if it in facts needs some of it. I read that TTs require a particular lube...but not sure if it applies to the kd 2055.