My Nad is dead! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My Nad is dead!

RoyY51
11-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Well, not actually dead...it just displays "NO DISK", no matter what I put in it. Red book, cd-r, cd-rw, all not recognized. It's a Nad C-542 that I bought several years ago, and this is the first problem that I've had with it. I talked with the dealer and he said it was (probably) either mistracking or the laser had died completely. He sends all of his repairs to Henry Radio in L.A. and the cost just to look at it would be $100, not including shipping both ways. With Christmas just around the corner, I was hoping that someone would have a suggestion as to a home-grown remedy.

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

dakatabg
11-01-2010, 09:24 PM
I don't know what to suggest you, I have seen many cd player saying "No Disc" when you put a cd in! Could be so many things so it really will have to be looked by someone who knows the cd player! If it was a receiver or amp will be easy but cd players, I never got to know them inside!

thekid
11-02-2010, 02:26 AM
Most likely it is a dead laser. The only solution is to replace it which can be a bit tricky unlress the replacement labor is relatively cheap and easy to install. IMO unless that it is a high end model it is cost prohibitive to fix it and you are probaly better off replacing it.
I am guessing you do not want to lay out too much cash based on your desire to try and limit your costs with a DIY project. Buying a used CD player is always a gamble as you do not know how many hours have been put on the laser but there are some pretty good Cd players available at thrifts and on Craigslist because alot of people lost interest in their stand alone CD players when CD/DVD players hit the market. I have had success finding a couple of well regarded Denon models for under $20.

Good luck!

winston
11-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Well, not actually dead...it just displays "NO DISK", no matter what I put in it. Red book, cd-r, cd-rw, all not recognized. It's a Nad C-542 that I bought several years ago, and this is the first problem that I've had with it. I talked with the dealer and he said it was (probably) either mistracking or the laser had died completely. He sends all of his repairs to Henry Radio in L.A. and the cost just to look at it would be $100, not including shipping both ways. With Christmas just around the corner, I was hoping that someone would have a suggestion as to a home-grown remedy.

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.
hi Roy, I'm going to be "Blunt, the laser is dead on that (Nad)....as your post suggested all the recipe for a dead laser:) L.S.S...(thekid) replies "above" could save you a lot of heartaches. good luck in finding a solution by Xmas.
regards.

bfalls
11-03-2010, 05:43 AM
"My NAD is dead." Isn't that a Tom Green quote. Different problem.

Luvin Da Blues
11-03-2010, 05:50 AM
OOPS, I guess I read the thread title wrong.....:crazy:

(sorry, had to be done)

atomicAdam
11-03-2010, 06:10 AM
you did try the clean the insides w/ compressed air?

edit: found model in your gear list

pixelthis
11-03-2010, 12:41 PM
If its a beloved item, send it off, pay the man. IF NOT...
dumpsterize it. IT probably is the laser. DONT think you will find a machine of this quality
for a hundred.:1:

RoyY51
11-08-2010, 09:30 AM
My Nad C542 has sprung back to life, and I think I may know what caused it to die in the first place.

A few weeks ago I was taking a stroll on my roof (with broom in hand) and fell through the roof and the ceiling, into my HT room. I tried to patch the hole as best I could, but when the next series of rainstorms hit there was a sizable leak. I positioned a 32 gal. trash can under it which soon became 2/3 full. I kept emptying it out, but then the next storm would hit and it would fill up again. I did this several times until the storms finally passed. All in all, the open trash can sat there for 5-6 days, holding varying amounts of water.

My theory is this: the water in the trash can caused the humidity in the sealed room (we have cats) to become elevated and formed condensation on the optics of the Nad. It had to completely evaporate before the laser could recognize the disks again.

Does this sound plausible? If so, it makes a good argument against keeping fish tanks (or hot tubs) in the same room as your electronics.

What do you think?

pixelthis
11-08-2010, 03:57 PM
My Nad C542 has sprung back to life, and I think I may know what caused it to die in the first place.

A few weeks ago I was taking a stroll on my roof (with broom in hand) and fell through the roof and the ceiling, into my HT room. I tried to patch the hole as best I could, but when the next series of rainstorms hit there was a sizable leak. I positioned a 32 gal. trash can under it which soon became 2/3 full. I kept emptying it out, but then the next storm would hit and it would fill up again. I did this several times until the storms finally passed. All in all, the open trash can sat there for 5-6 days, holding varying amounts of water.

My theory is this: the water in the trash can caused the humidity in the sealed room (we have cats) to become elevated and formed condensation on the optics of the Nad. It had to completely evaporate before the laser could recognize the disks again.

Does this sound plausible? If so, it makes a good argument against keeping fish tanks (or hot tubs) in the same room as your electronics.

What do you think?

MUST CONTROL FIST OF SARCASM!!!
You are close, and yet so way off.
When you had a hole in your roof(thanks for omitting that minor detail) your NAD was effectively outside, and like most optical things exposed to a humid enviroment
(car windsheilds, sir talkys rose colored glasses) the optics in your NAD probably developed a thin film of water.
next time it happens (wouldn't surprize me) turn on the defroster(hair drier).:1:

RoyY51
11-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Thank you...I think...

audio amateur
11-09-2010, 06:59 AM
The moral of the story is, don't fall through the roof! lol

audio amateur
11-09-2010, 07:00 AM
Thank you...I think...
Yeah, kind of hard to know with Pix sometimes :)

Glad it's working again anyways

pixelthis
11-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Sorry if I AM BEING A bit obtuse, but I am not the one that omitted the "minor" fact that
there was a FRIKKIN hole in the roof!
All I am saying is don't use your electronics in an environment requiring a raincoat...
OKAY?.:1:

winston
11-10-2010, 02:16 PM
well well well, I'm happy for you "RoyY51"

enjoy your NAD hoping you get lots more miles out of it.... its not dead after all!!