can this be fixed? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : can this be fixed?

cgibsong002
10-31-2010, 12:56 PM
Hey guys, looking on some advice here. I've got a 10" guitar speaker that works, but had a bit of an accident. These are older, rare speakers, and i haven't been able to find a replacement. Since it still physically works, would i be able to glue this center cap back on? or would it not really be the same?

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/2117/1001917s.jpg

dakatabg
10-31-2010, 01:11 PM
You can glue it without any problems! Pull it out and glue it the same way it was before!

cgibsong002
10-31-2010, 01:27 PM
awesome! that will surely save me lots of money if true. what kind of glue should i use for this? and should i just line a small dab around the underside edge of the cap and then just place it back on?

dakatabg
10-31-2010, 01:37 PM
Watch this video, it will show you exactly how to do it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uOvO0yiF3s

When you remove your cap, just fix it the way it was before and glue back, you don't need to buy a new one since there are no rips or tears! Regarding the glue, I think rubber glue will do the job! Go to ebay and write speaker glue to see what they offer and what exactly to use!

Post a pic to see how you did it! Good luck!

cgibsong002
10-31-2010, 01:47 PM
thank you very much! on ebay the expensive stuff is a 'rubber solvent'. $15 for 2 oz. do you think rubber cement would get the job done well?

dakatabg
10-31-2010, 01:52 PM
Yes, rubber cement will work. Thats what I used to refoam some speakers few months ago!

cgibsong002
10-31-2010, 01:56 PM
fastest and most useful advice i could have expected, thanks so much. have a good day! :)

i'll post a picture after i'm done

dakatabg
10-31-2010, 02:00 PM
You are welcome. Let me know how it goes!!!

Poultrygeist
10-31-2010, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't use rubber cement as the cone and dust cover is paper. Elmer's white glue is the best for glueing dust covers or caps and foam surrounds and it dries clear. When you order a re-foaming surround kit it comes with the same Elmer's white glue. A dust cover or dust cap has only one function and that is to keep dust out of the voice coil. If you have trouble getting the old dust cap to re-attach you can buy another one from Parts Express. It won't matter if it's slightly larger than the original. Your surrounds look ok and unless there's a tear in the cone that I can't see you're good to go. If in the future the surrounds rot ( they all do at some point unless they are rubber ) it's an easy repair.

cgibsong002
11-01-2010, 09:12 AM
thanks guys. i just bought and used rubber cement. i'd imagine it should be fine. why would you say not to use it? it doesn't eat at paper and is more flexible than white glue. anyway, the dust cap doesn't really affect the sound at all, right? so it's fine if mine is slightly dented a bit as long as the edges are good and seals well?

poultry, you mentioned the surrounds rotting in the future. are those the edges that seal the cone to the frame? is that what would be replaced by a refoam kit? these speakers are probably 20 or more years old, and are fine for now, but i'd imagine that is something i might have to take care of in the near future.

Poultrygeist
11-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Elmer's white glue is what you get if you buy a re-foam/surround kit. I've done a bunch of these and I don't use anything but paper glue on paper cones/dust caps. If I had to re-foam rubber surrounds I'd use rubber cement. The dust cap doesn't affect the sound except on some full range drivers but not your guitar speaker. If those speakers are 20 years old with original foam surrounds I might think about replacing them. They should flex, not feel brittle and none of the material should rub off on your fingers. Many surround kits come with a new dust cap so you can replace both at the same time. To re-foam you have to remove the dust cap in order to shim the voice coil so everything is in proper alignment when you glue the surrounds down. As we speak I'm re-foaming a pair of 30 year old EPI-70's I picked up at a thrift shop for a few bucks. Many people think drivers are shot when the surrounds rot and that's why you can get some great deals on vintage speakers.