Harman Kardon or Onkyo? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Harman Kardon or Onkyo?

gamingart
10-30-2010, 11:10 AM
I´m on a budget so I only got these choices: Harman Kardon AVR 1600 or Onkyo SR508.

Which one is the best choice??

Mr Peabody
10-30-2010, 11:26 AM
I have not heard either exact model, I have heard other Onkyo HT receivers, my choice would be the Onkyo based on how strong they have become in the home theater receiver arena. Both have a reputation for high current but Onkyo has transferred that quality to their HT line up where I see a lot of not so great feedback on the HK HT receivers. Which is sad because back in the stereo days HK was the Cadillac of receivers. I'll try to look up the models if I get time to see if any features sway my position.

gamingart
10-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Thanx for your opinion Mr. peadbody. I forgot to mention these 2 are receivers, not H.T.

Sorry...I just found out there´s a forum for amps/receivers...

eisforelectronic
10-30-2010, 06:05 PM
I haven't heard either model either, however I personally dislike the sound of most Onkyo Receivers I've heard. I've always thought they were a bit harsh sounding. I've heard a lot of things regarding HK quality lately, but I think I would still go for an HK given the choice. I will say that Onkyo does give you a lot of features for your money though.

Mr Peabody
10-31-2010, 02:09 PM
Are you sure the 508 is a stereo receiver? Their HT has a very similar model number if so.

gamingart
10-31-2010, 02:49 PM
It´s a 7.1 receiver...

Tarheel_
11-01-2010, 04:47 AM
I prefer the sound of HK over Onkyo. Just a personal choice, but you should attempt to listen to both before making the decision.

also, compare their weight...usually this is a good indicator as to which has a more robust amp section and 'should' mean better sound from your speakers.

Tarheel_
11-01-2010, 04:59 AM
I prefer the sound of HK over Onkyo. Just a personal choice, but you should attempt to listen to both before making the decision.

also, compare their weight...usually this is a good indicator as to which has a more robust amp section and 'should' mean better sound from your speakers.

gamingart
11-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Also. What would you recommend, good speakers with an average receiver or viceversa?
I could get a Denon 1611 receiver and infinity primus 252 or psb alpha t1 speakers
or one of the two receivers i mentioned above with monitor audio br5 speakers.?

Tarheel_
11-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Also. What would you recommend, good speakers with an average receiver or viceversa?
I could get a Denon 1611 receiver and infinity primus 252 or psb alpha t1 speakers
or one of the two receivers i mentioned above with monitor audio br5 speakers.?

Denon is another strong player in the receiver market so you probably cannot go wrong either way.
Speaker wise, I know the Primus line (own some) and they are great sounding speakers, the other two PSB and Monitor are very well respected. If you can listen to them, i recommend it. If not, do some online searches for others who own those specific speakers.

From your choices, it appears you know a thing or two about quality brands.

pixelthis
11-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Onkyo, or INTEGRA, I swear by em, although HARMON makes a decent stereo
receiver, friend had one, drove a pair of Axiom M80s with it. AUDIOPHILIA ON THE CHEAP.
But if ONKYO has such good HT gear, their stereo stuff has to be good.
THEY HAVE an integrated amp, class D, for around five bills, or so I HEARD.:1: