Subwoofer not coming on automatically? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer not coming on automatically?

Invader3k
10-30-2010, 06:00 AM
In the system I have in my office, I have an older Velodyne sub (I believe it's a CHT-10), connected to an Onkyo TX-SR700. The sub is set to come on automatically when a signal is detected. It's hooked up from the subwoofer "out" on the receiver. However, it usually doesn't come on right away.

Usually when I'm playing music, I have to turn the sub's power off. Then I have to wait at least ten seconds, then turn it back on. Usually then the sub comes on right away after this. It still sounds and works well otherwise.

Any ideas what would be causing this? It's just sort of an annoyance more than anything.

RoyY51
10-30-2010, 03:34 PM
I had a similar situation with my Outlaw LFM-1. I turned up the gain from my receiver's sub out and turned down the volume on my sub to compensate...problem solved!

Pat D
10-31-2010, 02:02 PM
I had a similar situation with my Outlaw LFM-1. I turned up the gain from my receiver's sub out and turned down the volume on my sub to compensate...problem solved!

Yeah, that's essentially what I did, except I use a separate electronic crossover for convenience since I have a separate preamp and amp. The subwoofer seems to need a certain minimum voltage level to turn on automatically, so I turned down the subwoofer level and turned up the level on the Mirage electronic crossover to compensate. Works fine.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
10-31-2010, 06:17 PM

Bingo, there is the answer.

pixelthis
11-01-2010, 02:00 AM
In the system I have in my office, I have an older Velodyne sub (I believe it's a CHT-10), connected to an Onkyo TX-SR700. The sub is set to come on automatically when a signal is detected. It's hooked up from the subwoofer "out" on the receiver. However, it usually doesn't come on right away.

Usually when I'm playing music, I have to turn the sub's power off. Then I have to wait at least ten seconds, then turn it back on. Usually then the sub comes on right away after this. It still sounds and works well otherwise.

Any ideas what would be causing this? It's just sort of an annoyance more than anything.

Just set it to stay on all the time. I HAVE ALWAYS done that, irritating when the sub goes on and off, you can hear it kick in. Turn it off if you will be away for a while.
BTW I recently cannibalized a CHT 8 that I have to use the plate amp for my much better
B&W. What a piece of junk. Found out it vibrated and broke up at higher output
probably because of the hunk of plastic between the amp and driver. THING WAS
SHAPED LIKE THE HORN FROM A KLIPSCH SPEAKER! Sounded better than it had a
right to.:1:

Poultrygeist
11-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Actually Velodyne recommends a Y connector on some of their models as the signal on one side may not be strong enough to be detected.

woofersus
11-04-2010, 11:42 AM
I guess if changing the gain structure as mentioned above doesn't take care of the problem, then the Y cable would be worth a try too.

Poultrygeist
11-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Velodyne even includes a free Y cable ( female to two males ) with some of their subs.