KT120 vacuum tube by Tungsol [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : KT120 vacuum tube by Tungsol

Raj J
10-28-2010, 06:12 PM
good day mates!
has anyone tried the new KT120 super tube that was just launched by Tungsol? claims to have all the great qualities of EL34 together with 6550 & KT90.

the reviews claim it to have far better mid range compared to any tube ever made, plus deeper bass- well controlled excellent for electrostats and panel types. I read about the KT120 tungsol features- said to disipates 60w from the plat with higher current, hence a pair could deliver well over 120watters!

although if replaced with an existing KT80, KT90 or 6550 the KT120 can run on existing amps using any of these tubes, but will not put out a higher wattage due to the trannys not wired for such high current. however, what they say is that tube will have far more headroom to deliver what it's capable of, plus will have double the extended life span of a 6550 tube! at the grid current a normal 6550 tube runs on, if a KT120 tube is used as a direct replacement it will just cruise along at around half of its output delivering extended tube life, along with other attributes of sweeter midrange and fantastic bass. the highs are supposed to be the same compared to KT80, KT90 & the 6550c, with just a little more airey highs around symbols and brushes.

anyone has some good advice, let me know?
cheers, Raj J

mlsstl
10-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Any particular reason this was posted in the speaker section?

jrhymeammo
10-28-2010, 07:02 PM
good day mates!

the reviews claim it to have far better mid range compared to any tube ever made, plus deeper bass- well controlled excellent for electrostats and panel types. I read about the KT120 tungsol features- said to disipates 60w from the plat with higher current, hence a pair could deliver well over 120watters!

I cannot comment on the tubes, but I had thought about going back to KT based amps when I first heard about this tube. I'm a bit skeptic since people praise highly of different sound over better sound. But who knows, maybe this has a grip of KT88s and body & delicacy of EL34s. I'll be curious to know how they sound in E-Stat's VTL monoblocks.:D

JRA

Raj J
10-28-2010, 10:20 PM
Any particular reason this was posted in the speaker section?
yes, I have had many years of experience with panel speakers (ribbons & ESL's). for me they worked best with tube amplification, tubes were far more true to the music - that's my preference and most accurate compared to dynamic drivers driven with solid state amps. therefore, under the speaker section, I meant to place this post in the panel speaker section, but for some reason my office pc had a mind of its own. anyway, under panel speakers - if using tube amplification - KT120 is a new output power tube offered by Tungsol, was wondering if anyone had experienced it as yet.

I am very keen to try this out on my conrad johnson MV60se & ACT2 preamp driving my Quad ESL 2905's, perhaps this may raise the level of already top notch performance to greater finesse... who knows!

mlsstl
10-29-2010, 03:41 AM
I'll probably not be trying them any time soon. I just replaced my 6550s with KT-88s a month or two ago so will be sticking with them for a while.

Keep in mind that for every argument that KT-120s will sound better because they are "coasting" there is an opposite argument that running them under capacity where the circuit and transformer aren't designed for their parameters is not optimal for the best sound.

It'll cost you an extra 30% just to find out for yourself. ;-)

Raj J
10-31-2010, 10:46 PM
you're absolutely right mate! infact I have used KT90's replacing 6550's on Manley 350 monoblocks, the sound was great but not that much to jump about... hence would have probably preferred just using what the original design was intended for.
plus, my philosophy is that "if it sounds right, why change" and here I am trying to change something that just sounds right!

thanks guys, I probably won't venture towards those KT120 tubes afterall.
in any case, if any of you have had a direct repalcement with 6550's - please do me know your findings!
cheers, RJ

Raj J
10-31-2010, 10:55 PM
I'll probably not be trying them any time soon. I just replaced my 6550s with KT-88s a month or two ago so will be sticking with them for a while.

Keep in mind that for every argument that KT-120s will sound better because they are "coasting" there is an opposite argument that running them under capacity where the circuit and transformer aren't designed for their parameters is not optimal for the best sound.

It'll cost you an extra 30% just to find out for yourself. ;-)

message from Raj J - was just wondering by the way; you mentioned that you are now using KT88's replaced the 6550's. how does this sound? what are the attributes positive/negatives, overall sonics, soundstage, frequency spectrum, timbre, dynamics, mids/highs to bass is it really better and has it improved? what 6550's were you using before? were they 6550c? also what kind of system do you have?
have you got Quad ESL's as well?

just like to have your thoughts since you made a very valid point! got me thinking not to ruch into this KT120 hype...
thanks, RJ

mlsstl
11-01-2010, 04:41 AM
I've had my current amp (Image 65i) for several years and also owned other 6550/KT88 amps so have experimented before. The KT88 tube has a bit more flesh on it IMO while the 6550 is a shade more clinical, but I like both and can easily live with either.The main reason for the current switch is I lost a 6550 from old age and the tube supplier I use was out of 6550s. I've got JJ KT88s now.

I've got Spendor SP1/2Es as my main speakers.

Keep in mind that I didn't really argue one way or the other, but rather stated there was more than one way to look at the situation. What's true in your case is only something you can decide.

Raj J
11-02-2010, 10:41 PM
thanks for your message mate.
yes, you're right about the KT88's, I did notice this as well. infact, I think I'd just stick with the 6550C's because that's the original tube set that was meant to be in my amp in the first place! also the 6550C is a greant sounding tube, I really don't know why I even thought of trying a KT120. but I guess it's that curiosity thing...
I better just relax and enjoy the music!
cheers & have a good one.