Balance off on my new used receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Balance off on my new used receiver

lkgordon
10-28-2010, 01:52 PM
So I bought a stereo receiver off eBay (Nakamichi RE-10 for $175) to power a new pair of Paradigm Mini Monitors. It was supposed to be in perfect working condition but when I hooked it up the volume level is much lower on the left channel than on the right. How big of a problem is this? Obviously I can compensate by adjusting the balance but is that a good solution? Is this a symptom of a bigger problem? Do I send it back or not worry about it?

Luvin Da Blues
10-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Have you checked your sources and cables? Try swapping the left and right RCA ends around at the reciever and see if the low volume changes on each channel.

lkgordon
10-28-2010, 02:13 PM
I haven't tried that but it has the same problem when listening to the tuner.

Mr Peabody
10-28-2010, 02:39 PM
If it's an HT receiver you should check the set up menu to see if the balance is off in there.

I personally would send it back if it was for sure an issue with the receiver. I was going to buy a used Mac receiver, when the guy hooked it up I noticed the channels out of balance, he thought I was crazy until he hooked it up to a meter and saw it with his eyes. Any way I passed. It was a bad volume control which was an expensive fix. It would have balance with the balance control and this may have been fine for years, it's just the thought of the balance being off that would bug me, maybe I'm a bit OCD.

lkgordon
10-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Yeah, I'm tempted to send it back because I'm seriously annoyed at the seller and feel a little ripped off.
On the other hand if having the channels out of balance is not affecting the sound quality and its not a problem to correct it with the balance control why not just live with it? From the reviews posted to this site the RE-10 is a quality receiver and the price not too bad....

What do the rest of you think?

Poultrygeist
10-29-2010, 04:42 AM
Ebay has tightened their rules regarding misrepresented items. If you wish you can get a refund plus shipping both ways. If the seller doesn't agree you can open a case and ebay will force seller to comply.

manlystanley
10-29-2010, 07:29 AM
So I bought a stereo receiver off eBay (Nakamichi RE-10 for $175) to power a new pair of Paradigm Mini Monitors. It was supposed to be in perfect working condition but when I hooked it up the volume level is much lower on the left channel than on the right. How big of a problem is this? Obviously I can compensate by adjusting the balance but is that a good solution? Is this a symptom of a bigger problem? Do I send it back or not worry about it?

IMHO, if after you make sure that it's not cables, etc (and shipping is not too much) I'd send it back. Will the left channel die any day? Probably not, but I'd wager that even if you use the balance adjustment, the left sound is still not as clear as the right channel.

I got stuck to. My ADCOM GTP-500 that I bought off ebay has got a left channel problem as well. This is why I gave up buying used stuff. I'm building my own preamp now (when I get a chance).

Best Regards,
Stan

manlystanley
10-29-2010, 07:32 AM
Yeah, I'm tempted to send it back because I'm seriously annoyed at the seller and feel a little ripped off.
On the other hand if having the channels out of balance is not affecting the sound quality and its not a problem to correct it with the balance control why not just live with it? From the reviews posted to this site the RE-10 is a quality receiver and the price not too bad....

What do the rest of you think?

Sellers do it all the time. I bought a pair of Magnepan speakers that had all sorts of problems. They use the equipment for 10+ years, then at the first hint of problem sell it to some shmuck, such as us.

Best Regards,
Stan

lkgordon
10-29-2010, 09:28 AM
Great. Thanks for the input. I will send it back!

And so I'm off to peruse the reviews of new stereo receivers. Anyone want to recommend something in the under $500 range?

Mr Peabody
10-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Yamaha has a stereo receiver around $499.00 that I feel would be worth a listen. You might also consider integrated amps in your budget by NAD or Cambridge Audio. NAD has stereo receivers but I'm not sure of the price.

I personally have an Adcom gtp-450 preamp/tuner and gfa-535 power amp I could get you into for less than your budget. If interested email or PM.

blackraven
10-30-2010, 06:30 PM
If you must have a receiver, consider spending a little more and get this Outlaw RR2150. The reviews are great.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

otherwise consider the Harmon Kardon 3490.

lkgordon
10-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Thanks for all the feedback folks. In the end I went with Harmon Kardon 3390 from Amazon ($230, free shipping). Although that model isn't reviewed on this site it seems like the brand is fairly well respected and the reviews on Amazon (whatever they're worth) are very positive. Thanks for everyone's help with this situation.