Jethro Tull/Stormwatch remaster [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Jethro Tull/Stormwatch remaster

DPM
04-08-2004, 11:03 PM
I finally got around to listening to this on Thursday. I'm glad to report that this remaster blows off the original CD. So if you like Stormwatch, I say go upgrade it. The Best Buy in my area had it for $10.99.

As for the bonus tracks (Kelpie, Crossword, King Henry's Madrigal, and A Stitch In Time), all were previously released on the 20th Anniversary box set. Again though, the sound is much improved.

So far, the upgrading of the Tull catalogue has yielded positive gains soundwise. The only exception IMHO is the Heavy Horses remaster. I still think it's too bright and the bass too anemic on most of the tracks. Your mileage may vary.

Dave M

Dave_G
04-09-2004, 05:42 AM
Didn't know these were out.

I'll get 'em all.

Dave

Troy
04-09-2004, 06:49 AM
Yeah, I'm gonna go find "A" this weekend.

Thanks for the heads up.

DarrenH
04-09-2004, 09:58 AM
Domestic version of "A" isn't available until the 20th. The UK version has been out for awhile but the DVD is PAL encoded. The Jap version is available and includes a region free NTSC encoded DVD but is pricey.

I just got the domestic versions of Bursting Out and Stormwatch yesterday.

Troy
04-09-2004, 10:54 AM
Thanks Darren, I'll wait.

Dave_G
04-12-2004, 08:17 AM
Bought this cd this weekend and boy it is excellent.

It's really incredible as to how much cleaner and better this version is.

Makes you realise that simple "regular" titles these days can sound excellent if they put a little work into the remastering process.

Regards,

Dave

Mr Peabody
04-12-2004, 07:32 PM
I am mostly familiar with JT's commercial stuff. I bought the Christmas album off someone's recommendation here and loved it. I also have Broadsword which is probably my favorite, Crest of a Knave and Classics. The Christmas album got me hungry for some of the older Tull, can you tell me which one's are best. I would like the more instrumental jam stuff. Is Stormwatch good? I was planning to check out maybe Thick As A Brick or Songs From the Wood.

Dusty Chalk
04-12-2004, 07:50 PM
I am mostly familiar with JT's commercial stuff. I bought the Christmas album off someone's recommendation here and loved it. I also have Broadsword which is probably my favorite, Crest of a Knave and Classics. The Christmas album got me hungry for some of the older Tull, can you tell me which one's are best. I would like the more instrumental jam stuff. Is Stormwatch good? I was planning to check out maybe Thick As A Brick or Songs From the Wood.Yeah, if you like Broadsword, then Stormwatch is a logical next step, as are Songs from the Wood and Heavy Horses. Nothing they've done short of a live album is instrumental and jammy (and, of course, Bouree').

EDIT: I take that back -- both Thick as a Brick and Passion Play have lenthy instrumental sections.