Audeze LCD-2 Headphones [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Audeze LCD-2 Headphones

atomicAdam
10-27-2010, 02:16 PM
I heard these one a couple system at RMAF - WOW - I'm saving up starting now.

Anyone else hear these?

http://www.audeze.com/

-adam

Ajani
10-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Haven't heard them, but all the initial reports for them are really positive... Maybe, they'll be the Cans to finally replace my AKG K701's...

atomicAdam
10-28-2010, 06:28 PM
I have K701s, and I'm saving up.

To me they are totally different. They give a great amount of stage like the 701s but the separation and solidness of the sound is way better in my opinion.

Ajani
10-28-2010, 08:09 PM
I have K701s, and I'm saving up.

To me they are totally different. They give a great amount of stage like the 701s but the separation and solidness of the sound is way better in my opinion.

Excellent... I know there are now a number of $1K+ Cans that are better than the K701s, so I'm just waiting to see if one emerges that really stands out from the pack...

frahengeo
10-29-2010, 07:37 AM
Hi Guys,

What websites do you recommend for headphone reviews? Also, what are your thoughts on the Sennheiser HD 800 (aside from it being high priced)?

Thanks

winston
10-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Hi Guys,

What websites do you recommend for headphone reviews? Also, what are your thoughts on the Sennheiser HD 800 (aside from it being high priced)?

Thanks
hi frahengeo, I have never, and don't think that I'll have the need to go above the 600's, but to get the information on the HD-800 the main site would be http://www.headfi.org good luck.

winston
10-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Adam,Ajani, have you guys looked at this link on headfi? that's the Audeze-lcd-2 review with pics.

if I ever wanted to step out of my headphone class, this would be a "keeper" after reading the review and seen the photo's this is some nice pics check it out.

www.head-fi.org/products/audeze-lcd-2-planar-magnetic-headphones

poppachubby
10-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Have you heard any Stax Adam? Looks like the same operating principle. They can be had used for alot less than $1K and would be a good starting point for judging these newer types.

Ajani
10-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Have you heard any Stax Adam? Looks like the same operating principle. They can be had used for alot less than $1K and would be a good starting point for judging these newer types.

The problem with Stax has been their use of proprietary balanced connections instead of standard 1/4" headphone jacks... So you need to buy both a stax headphone and a matching amp to drive it... These new stats are more appealing since they use standard headphone Jacks, so I could just use my DAC1 to drive them...

Ajani
10-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Adam,Ajani, have you guys looked at this link on headfi? that's the Audeze-lcd-2 review with pics.

if I ever wanted to step out of my headphone class, this would be a "keeper" after reading the review and seen the photo's this is some nice pics check it out.

www.head-fi.org/products/audeze-lcd-2-planar-magnetic-headphones

The reviews are positive, though I'm still waiting for the "killer" pair of cans... All the above $1K Cans are a step up from the old Kings (AKG K701, Senn 650 etc) but I'm really waiting for the one that makes K701 fans want to toss the 701s in the trash...

winston
10-31-2010, 05:33 PM
The reviews are positive, though I'm still waiting for the "killer" pair of cans... All the above $1K Cans are a step up from the old Kings (AKG K701, Senn 650 etc) but I'm really waiting for the one that makes K701 fans want to toss the 701s in the trash...
yep, Ajani" your gonna be waiting a very long time to see those AKG K71,SENN 600 and 650 go down the tubes, so keep loving your K71s :hand:

(yes even with those super reviews and drop dead extremely gorgeously looking photo's of the Audeze LCD-2) At $945 a pop, I'm thinking that its just here for Christmas!! because after all the reviews they haven't mentioned word about the (old kings):) and that is saying a lot.

Ajani
10-31-2010, 06:15 PM
yep, Ajani" your gonna be waiting a very long time to see those AKG K71,SENN 600 and 650 go down the tubes, so keep loving your K71s :hand:

(yes even with those super reviews and drop dead extremely gorgeously looking photo's of the Audeze LCD-2) At $945 a pop, I'm thinking that its just here for Christmas!! because after all the reviews they haven't mentioned word about the (old kings):) and that is saying a lot.

LOL.... I guess I'm just afraid of spending a grand or more on a new set of cans and then being underwhelmed... My K701/DAC 1 combo really sounds good, so I can afford to wait patiently for the next level of Cans....

Ajani
11-05-2010, 01:02 PM
I wonder how the Audeze compare to the HiFiMAN HE6:

http://www.head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=92

I know AVGUIDE thinks they are like Martin Logan CLX versus Quad 2905:

http://www.avguide.com/buyers-guide/the-playback-guide-full-size-headphones

Ajani
11-09-2010, 02:26 PM
OK, the Audeze officially has me intrigued... This frequency response makes me want to try them so bad:

http://www.audeze.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/20104-1mW-responsedistortion.jpg

That is the most impressive freq response I've seen for headphones... Basically flat from 20hz to 1khz (the peaks and valleys above 1K are expected for headphones - something to do with the folds in our ears)...

Ajani
11-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Not to be the crazy guy keeping a thread going all by himself but, I found this review from Cnet's Audiophiliac for the LCD-2:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20022220-47.html?tag=cnetRiver

It seems he thinks they are the new Kings of headphones...

atomicAdam
11-15-2010, 01:28 PM
nah - you aren't crazy - but it would sure be nice to have a spare 1k around for these suckers.

Ajani
11-15-2010, 01:44 PM
So Srajan Ebaen of 6Moons is declaring the LCD-2s his new favourites (ahead of the Sennheiser HD800, beyerdynamic T1 and AKG K-702; stock audio-technica W5000 and Grado PS-1000; HifiMan HE5LE with optional silver wiring and grill mod; stock HifiMan HE-6):

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audeze/1.html

Looks like I really need to start saving and try them out for myself...

winston
11-16-2010, 07:29 PM
So Srajan Ebaen of 6Moons is declaring the LCD-2s his new favourites (ahead of the Sennheiser HD800, beyerdynamic T1 and AKG K-702; stock audio-technica W5000 and Grado PS-1000; HifiMan HE5LE with optional silver wiring and grill mod; stock HifiMan HE-6):

LOL... Ajani, don't forget to pick up a pair of these >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:D
(ALO audio Chain Mail 8 wire LUX-FEP OCC 18awg Audeze LCD2 Headphone Cable 8 feet) when you pull the trigger!!??... I love reading the reviews :0:

Ajani
11-16-2010, 07:45 PM
LOL... Ajani, don't forget to pick up a pair of these >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:D
(ALO audio Chain Mail 8 wire LUX-FEP OCC 18awg Audeze LCD2 Headphone Cable 8 feet) when you pull the trigger!!??... I love reading the reviews :0:

The $1K for the LCD-2 I could save up for, but another $500 for cables is just not gonna happen...

poppachubby
11-17-2010, 02:48 AM
Do they have distribution in Canada? My local shop is big on headphones, and keeps a big inventory. I should try and talk them into bringing a pair in...

I could never justify $1K for cans. Used Stax would be in the cards for me, but then again I would want my beloved K240 Sextett first.

I am listening to my K240S right now. Good enough for these ears.

Ajani
11-17-2010, 03:33 AM
Do they have distribution in Canada? My local shop is big on headphones, and keeps a big inventory. I should try and talk them into bringing a pair in...

I could never justify $1K for cans. Used Stax would be in the cards for me, but then again I would want my beloved K240 Sextett first.

I am listening to my K240S right now. Good enough for these ears.

It'll probably be a long wait before any samples are available at a dealer in Canada, right now the order list (online) requires a minimum of 1 month waiting time...

At least one of the pro reviewers prefers the LCD2 to the Stax SR-007 Omega II.... The LCD has serious dynamic range & doesn't require a proprietary amp like the Stax....

$1K is a hell of a lot of money for cans (regardless of how "common" cans in that price range are becoming)... But the simple truth is that most audiophiles will never be able to afford state of the art speakers, but state of the art cans are on the cards...

Happy Camper
11-24-2010, 07:02 AM

We had all the above listed hps (except HE-5le) at our meet last weekend and I agree the LCD-2 was the winner but the HD-800 stands up well. The LCD-2 crushed all in bass and being an ortho, that is a pretty good trick.

To correct a mis-statement made earlier, the LCD-2 are a planar, not a stat. They do run off of a decent dynamic amp.

Happy Camper
12-18-2010, 09:55 PM
HE-6 incoming.

Ajani
12-19-2010, 07:29 AM
HE-6 incoming.

I'm looking forward to your first impressions of them. Especially how they compare to the Audeze and the AKG K701s...

Happy Camper
12-19-2010, 09:50 PM
Going back to the K701 from using the LCD-2 for two weeks was underwhelming. I had always wondered what folks were talking about when they criticized the K701 as sounding "plastiky" and artificial in the high end. Coming back to the K701, I immediately changed my mind on how much bass is in material. Especially new age but also in rock, electronic and even orchestras and jazz, there is a lot lost in this range with the K. I also think I understand the "plastiky" descriptions now.

My negatives are they are dark with low volume listening. To get the mids and highs to fill out, you need some volume but once the cans have enough juice, they sing with the delicacy of stats and the impact of speakers. They also have a fuzzy center focus in the soundscape. This has also been mentioned with the HE-6 so it may be a driver angle thing. Those having heard this say it goes away with more powerful amping (read speaker amps with high current). Funny in manly things, more power solves all.

I prefer details over impact but the orthos do both. The LCD-2 has been described as the HD600/650 on steroids. The same analogy given the HE-6 is an AKG on steroids (to include the 1000s) so we'll see.

atomicAdam
12-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Thanks HC for the review -

I heard the LCD-2 with some some S.E.T. tube amps at RMAF. Granted - I was once again listening to Diana Krall (or whatever the hell her name is and that **** music) anyways I didn't get a long enough audition to noticed some of the smaller critics that you have, but the larger impression of detail and punch I agree with.

Anyways - I got to get a pair soon.

Happy Camper
12-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Major speedy delivery.

Ordered on the 15th and on my head tonight.

I have to give these some play time because all new headphones are pretty crappy sounding. With just a bit of power though and they sound extremely transparent. You can hear them smooth out as they play. Wow.

I'll be back.....:14:

Happy Camper
12-20-2010, 07:30 PM
Thanks HC for the review -

I heard the LCD-2 with some some S.E.T. tube amps at RMAF. Granted - I was once again listening to Diana Krall (or whatever the hell her name is and that **** music) anyways I didn't get a long enough audition to noticed some of the smaller critics that you have, but the larger impression of detail and punch I agree with.

Anyways - I got to get a pair soon.

My critic is minimal. They are some of the best headphones I've heard.

Ajani
12-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Major speedy delivery.

Ordered on the 15th and on my head tonight.

I have to give these some play time because all new headphones are pretty crappy sounding. With just a bit of power though and they sound extremely transparent. You can hear them smooth out as they play. Wow.

I'll be back.....:14:

Any update? quick comparisons to the K701 and LCD2?

Happy Camper
12-21-2010, 09:35 PM
No comparison with the K701s. Mine will be discounted to a student starting the journey. They are a good entrance to headphones but have to be shaped by the upstream components to sound good. Going back to them after spending time with the LCD-2 made me painfully aware of the K701 shortcomings.

As for the LCD-2, I'd be going off memory to comment. We are having a meet after the holidays with the PS Audio Perfectwave, Audio GD Ref. 7, Woo 22, Singlepower Extreme, DIY tube "Duke's Beast", two Rotel RMB-100 monoblocks, Headroom Ultra Stack. The headphones of interest will be the HD800, LCD-2, HE-6, PS-1000.

Just a simple analogy, if you like the laid back sound of Sennheisers, the LCD-2 is your baby. Best bass in the business. I've not heard them but owners say a re-cable brings out the highs. The HE-6 is a different animal. It has the agility of the K701s without the lack of bass or unnatural sounding highs. The highs on the HE-6 are in line with stats but the mids aren't as delectable as the LCD-2. Bass is tight and accurate without dominating the presentation.

After about 15 hours, the HE-6s are starting to relax and bass is getting fuller. Give me the weekend to get them conditioned and I'll give more impressions. I am leaning to the HE-6 over the LCD-2 because of the clarity in the highs and they fit my head better. I love the wood trim of the LCD-2 and they just look like a statement piece. I got to live with the LCD-2 for a couple weeks, I'll have a few weeks with the HE-6 and then I will be able to hear them side by side.

Ajani
12-22-2010, 05:38 AM
No comparison with the K701s. Mine will be discounted to a student starting the journey. They are a good entrance to headphones but have to be shaped by the upstream components to sound good. Going back to them after spending time with the LCD-2 made me painfully aware of the K701 shortcomings.

As for the LCD-2, I'd be going off memory to comment. We are having a meet after the holidays with the PS Audio Perfectwave, Audio GD Ref. 7, Woo 22, Singlepower Extreme, DIY tube "Duke's Beast", two Rotel RMB-100 monoblocks, Headroom Ultra Stack. The headphones of interest will be the HD800, LCD-2, HE-6, PS-1000.

Just a simple analogy, if you like the laid back sound of Sennheisers, the LCD-2 is your baby. Best bass in the business. I've not heard them but owners say a re-cable brings out the highs. The HE-6 is a different animal. It has the agility of the K701s without the lack of bass or unnatural sounding highs. The highs on the HE-6 are in line with stats but the mids aren't as delectable as the LCD-2. Bass is tight and accurate without dominating the presentation.

After about 15 hours, the HE-6s are starting to relax and bass is getting fuller. Give me the weekend to get them conditioned and I'll give more impressions. I am leaning to the HE-6 over the LCD-2 because of the clarity in the highs and they fit my head better. I love the wood trim of the LCD-2 and they just look like a statement piece. I got to live with the LCD-2 for a couple weeks, I'll have a few weeks with the HE-6 and then I will be able to hear them side by side.

So far it sounds like the HE-6 might be the better choice for K701 fans.... I've not tried the Senns, but I am definitely not a fan of laid back sound...

Happy Camper
12-22-2010, 08:04 AM
Just an opinion but I think HE-6/tubes or LCD-2/SS amps. The HE-6 are very detailed and active in the upper range. They are a quick decay headphone. The LCD-2 are more active in the lower range with a longer decay. Of course there are exceptions to everything so meets are needed to hear the character of each headphone.

I am of the view that today's digital sources need a tube in the circuit to relax the rigidity of digital sound. There are digital sources that are voiced to be relaxed (similar to vinyl) but my general experiences are that digital sources are a bit harsh with piano. The only SS dac I've had the chance to hear that was vinyl sounding has been the A gd Ref. 7. I will caveat my statement by saying I've not been exposed to a lot of dacs so the journey continues.

Ajani
01-04-2011, 08:58 AM
This is a nice comparison of the LCD-2 versus HE-6:

http://www.headfonia.com/hifiman-he-6-vs-audeze-lcd-2/

Sounds similar to Happy Camper's findings....

Happy Camper
01-05-2011, 09:45 PM
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/509620/for-those-which-have-heard-both-is-there-a-clear-winner-he-6-lcd-2

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/453116/audeze-lcd-2-orthos

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/493214/hifiman-he-6-planar-headphone

Ajani
01-06-2011, 02:45 AM
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/509620/for-those-which-have-heard-both-is-there-a-clear-winner-he-6-lcd-2

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/453116/audeze-lcd-2-orthos

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/493214/hifiman-he-6-planar-headphone

Thanks for the link... I had read some of the last two sometime ago, but not the first one...

That one is really interesting, as I had initially had the impression that the LCD-2 was hands down preferred over the HE-6 on Head-Fi.... Nice to see that it really is a matter of preference... and those reviews really make the HE-6 sound like an upgrade for K701 fans... I wish I could try both...

Happy Camper
01-06-2011, 09:30 AM
If I brought them down, would you pay air and host me for the trial? We could set up an Arie meet and enjoy a Stripe or Appleton's finest. I would ask for temporary membership to the Rasta church out of respect for the beliefs of my host nation. :15: :15: :15:

Ohh!!!!! The First Annual "Raggee Rock Sensations" meet. We can have a resort sponsor it and vendors could show product, members can bring their family (I mean business associates) to enjoy the hospitality while dad (I mean the CEOs) enjoy the hobby (I mean business). Adam could bring the SS Audio Review down for VIPs and dignitaries to host evening dinner parties.

Yeah, that's it. :20:

Happy Camper
01-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Sorry, levity intended. But a junket flight roundtrip might only be a couple hundred....you could fly up to a meet and head back for a weekend visit. Miami, Houston, there's a guy in the Caymans that has about every top end headphone rig there is.

Ajani
01-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Sorry, levity intended. But a junket flight roundtrip might only be a couple hundred....you could fly up to a meet and head back for a weekend visit. Miami, Houston, there's a guy in the Caymans that has about every top end headphone rig there is.

If I was working in Cayman, I'd fly down the owners of those cans for a meet in Cayman! My colleagues who opted to work in Cayman make way too much money to even consider returning to Jamaica...

I think I'll have to arrange for vacation with my girlfriend to coincide with a meet sometime.. :biggrin5: