bose 901's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : bose 901's

aljayne@netsync.net
10-27-2010, 12:49 PM
hi everyone...new to this web site, and not the best with computers. I do own 6 pair of bose 901's between boat and home....some series 2 and 3 and some 4. i recently purchased pair of 4 that need reconing... not sure about removing existing foam around cone without damage. some say to remove each speaker. is this necessary? my peavey xr 600 amp has built in equalizer.. do i need bose active eq? On my boat, i have same set up with pair on top and pair below. they are all wired together at peavey amp. sounds pretty nice, but not sure if this is causing harm to speakers. i am a retired musician, and have had my problems with altec, jbl, and other speakers. i think that is why i am a believer in the bose. they seem to perform well at high levels, and that's what i need to piss off the other boaters ( just kidding ) back to forum... can i use alcohol to remove foam on cone.... can i scrape off foam on cone with razor blade, and do i need to remove speakers? thanks for any info, alan

emaidel
10-27-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm surprised no one has responded yet to this thread. The mere mention of the word "Bose", and the Bose 901 in particular, usually results in a stream of comments from those who despise the 901, and just about anything ever made by Bose. Frankly, I'm one of those individuals, but then saying so doesn't help your situation.

You can get refoam kits for your 901's from an outfit in Florida called, "Simply Speakers." Just Google them, or call them if you wish, and they'll give you advice on how to refoam the drivers in your 901's. And, yes, you will probably have to remove each of those drivers/speakers in order to refoam them, as it will be awfully difficult to do with the drivers/speakers in place. And, no, anything other than the Bose-supplied equalizer will NOT work with the 901's, or at least work properly.

aljayne@netsync.net
10-27-2010, 02:49 PM
thanks for your help, alan

hifitommy
10-27-2010, 05:45 PM
while i am not a bose 901 fan, i will suppose one can be satisfied with them if he doesnt expect accuracy to the real thing. just be sure to use the BOSE equalizer made for theat purpose and LOTS of power, at least 100wpc.

i will strongly recommend against using them on a boat. for that you need indoor/outdoor speakers that are weatherproof because of the moist and/or salt air. there are many that are more than sufficient at low prices, mostly with plastic based drivers.

emaidel
10-28-2010, 04:02 AM
I stand corrected: anything other than the supplied Bose equalizer will NOT work properly with the 901's. I'll make the change in my post, but felt the need to point this out.

JoeE SP9
10-28-2010, 11:10 AM
As emaidel posted, Bose products are not very popular with most of the posters here. I suspect that rather than discourage you from returning because of derogatory comments about Bose and their products many have chosen not to post to this thread. There isn't an lot of Bose experience for posters to respond positively with.

Unfortunately, I too have no experience that could be of help. However, I would like to say welcome aboard.

Invader3k
10-30-2010, 05:56 AM
I believe you can still get re-foam kits from Bose as well, though that may be the more expensive option.

You definitely need the Bose EQ for the 901s to function properly.

pixelthis
11-01-2010, 01:51 AM
I believe you can still get re-foam kits from Bose as well, though that may be the more expensive option.

You definitely need the Bose EQ for the 901s to function properly.

AS CLOSE to proper as they will function. HELD that in as long as I COULD.
And yes, I do have experience with "doze", less said the better. LETS just say that
after 15 futile years of trying to find a dumba** that would buy my 501 series 4's, tore the grill off(they were glued on) and the cheap cardboard mid'bass had the surrounds completely
gone. FIFTEEN years and I could never get them to sound half as good as they did
in the store(found out later that few people could), made great end tables tho...:1:

Hoho
12-14-2010, 01:22 PM
On a boat, I think that it would be better to have speakers from Bose's weather-resistant line, the best of which are the 802 Series III.

Bose had a problem with premature foam rot on the 901 Series III, IV, and early V, so they had a generous trade-in policy. I exchanged my 901 Series IV with EQ for the Series VI, at a modest price. I don't know if they still do that.

The biggest change in 901's was between Series II and Series III. I owned the IV and the VI for 19 years. I've never heard the originals or the Series II. Alan, how do you think the sound of the II compares to the III and IV? I know that the II could go deeper in the bass, with a powerful enough amp and the bass filter disabled.

bfalls
12-14-2010, 11:37 PM
Although I'm not a Bose fan either, for PA or open areas they do pretty good. The reason I don't like them is they don't image. With one speaker facing forward and eight facing the rear at angles, they bounce the sound around all over the room. They're not intended to reproduce the recording as it was intended to be heard.

They wouldn't hold up in a room with proper sound treatments. Audiophiles try to control first reflections, standing waves, floor reflection and rear-wall slap echo. Bose creates and embraces the effects. They're anti-audiophile, the anti-christ in audio-theology.

Hoho
12-15-2010, 06:21 AM
Replacement drivers for 901's that are allegedly waterproof. If you buy them, please make sure they fit the Series IV.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSE-901-UPGRADE-repair-Kit-4u-x9-ProTrift-Speakers-NEW_W0QQitemZ180600458027QQcategoryZ23794QQcmdZVie wItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26 its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%2 52BUFI%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D300502135731%26ps%3D63% 26clkid%3D5667208728152425159#ht_3212wt_1006