external CD burner? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : external CD burner?

winston
10-25-2010, 06:54 PM
I got this old "lenovo T43 laptop from one of the boys, it has a nice Nero program on it, one which I was looking to buy for my self before I got this. but it needs a CD-DVD burner :sad:

I have seen samsung, lg, asus.lite-on, amongst others from 16 to 85 bucks... what do I need to look for, any special specs and stuff?? or other suggestions

02audionoob
10-25-2010, 08:40 PM
I've seen some that require two USB ports. Some do double-layer and some don't. Double-layer supports a DVD format that holds double the data.

bfalls
10-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Working in the DVD/BD industry, some of the more notable burners are Plextor, Liteon and BenQ. Many industry copy/analysis programs such as the Eclipse Suites require specific drives. They use primarily Plextor units. I use several Pleaxtor PX760-A units for burning and testing.

winston
10-27-2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks guys, for these information. it'll help me to ask a few Question's when I head over to compusa, and tiger direct this week end.

Regards.

bfalls
10-28-2010, 05:40 AM
I've seen some that require two USB ports. Some do double-layer and some don't. Double-layer supports a DVD format that holds double the data.

The drives I've seen which require two USB ports, one is used for power, the other data transfer. LaCie is one brand I've seen.

BallinWithNash
10-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Personally I'd try to get a Liteon or BenQ and if your never going to burn Dual Layer discs there is no reason to spend extra money on that feature.