"Get Better Sound" & Bookshelf Stands & New Home [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : "Get Better Sound" & Bookshelf Stands & New Home

atomicAdam
10-25-2010, 04:35 PM
So I moved recently, as in like this month. I'm up in the mountain now. I'm very happy. In fact I went on a run today from my new place up to the ski lifts. Man it is hard to run at 5000+ft of elevation, but I'll adjust.

Here are a couple shots of the new place - I've changed some things but can't show what I'm using for speaker stands now - I might have someone beating down my door and wanting to kick my ass.

This is looking from the bath/hall over the kitchen to the living room.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/medium/IMAG0011.jpg

This is from the doorway looking into the place.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/medium/Copy_of_IMAG0006.jpg

This is inside a little bit look to the right across the living room.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/medium/IMAG0007.jpg

So I've changed the speaker set up. The speakers are now on independent 'stands' - but I need some real stands. Suggestions please? I need something that can accommodated a lot of different bookshelf speaker models (so larger top platforms) and that have adjustable feet at the base because the floor isn't 100% even, it is tile. So please help me find something.

Now onto the "get better sound" book by Jim Smith. He was at the RMAF and I was curious so I picked up a copy of the book.

It is set up like a reference book. You just start at begin, read a bit, flip to here, flip to there, and try stuff. I think something that will be a quick read in the morning during the constitutional.

Well I decided to start right where Jim suggested - with tip #77 - Here you set the speakers about 80% apart from the distance to the center line of your chair to the even line of the tweeters. In otherword - if your chair is 10ft back from the line between the tweeters, you set the tweeters 8ft apart. I have to say - right away the speakers blended almost right into the environment and sounded WAY better from the position I had them in to begin with.

I'm going to keep using the book for a while and comment on it here and there in the process. Maybe I'll write a longer review after some time. Anyways - I guess that is about it.

Oh yeah this is my view just about - at least while driving - a little less when looking out the window.
http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/medium/IMAG0052.jpg

Geoffcin
10-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Hey, good luck in your new place! Be careful running at elevation until your acclimatize yourself too.

As to your stands, Sound Anchors;

http://www.soundanchors.com/

Best steel stands you can buy! Not cheap, but worth every penny.

audio amateur
10-26-2010, 12:04 AM
Dude, you seem to move every other day. What's the deal?

atomicAdam
10-26-2010, 09:02 AM
Dude, you seem to move every other day. What's the deal?

That is what my wife said. We've moved like 6 times in the 5 years we've been married, or is it 5 times in the 6 years. I'm not sure. We'll I guess I'm just adventurous, or unstable. Or maybe one has to be a bit unstable to be adventurous. I like new things, I get bored of places fast. And living in the valley w/ no A/C (and certainly other issues I can't really go over here) meant we had to move. And I've lived in the city, in the burbs, on a boat, and now in the mountains.

mlsstl
10-26-2010, 09:33 AM
This past spring, I picked up a set of VTI stands for my second system. For about $100 delivered I was very pleased with the quality and appearance. I use them with a pair of smallish Spendor SP3/1Ps. The tubes can be filled with damping material if desired and they have several versions and stand heights available.

I have Sound Anchors in my main system. They are a better stand but also much more expensive.

atomicAdam
10-26-2010, 09:44 PM
This past spring, I picked up a set of VTI stands for my second system. For about $100 delivered I was very pleased with the quality and appearance. I use them with a pair of smallish Spendor SP3/1Ps. The tubes can be filled with damping material if desired and they have several versions and stand heights available.

I have Sound Anchors in my main system. They are a better stand but also much more expensive.

Thanks mlsst -

I checked those out - not too bad, and near by me. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

-adam

audio amateur
10-26-2010, 11:42 PM
That is what my wife said. We've moved like 6 times in the 5 years we've been married, or is it 5 times in the 6 years. I'm not sure. We'll I guess I'm just adventurous, or unstable. Or maybe one has to be a bit unstable to be adventurous. I like new things, I get bored of places fast. And living in the valley w/ no A/C (and certainly other issues I can't really go over here) meant we had to move. And I've lived in the city, in the burbs, on a boat, and now in the mountains.
Kind of hard to make friends that way no? Does it not affect your wife's work career and yours?

atomicAdam
10-27-2010, 07:01 AM
Kind of hard to make friends that way no? Does it not affect your wife's work career and yours?

Friends? What are those...? Nah just kidding.

No doesn't really make it hard. Most of my friends I have from climbing or biking, so we just continue to meet up and do that.

Wifie and myself are fairly flexible. She is still school, and as long as she can get to class with in a reasonable time than it works out.

I've never had say 'friends' from a neighborhood - living in Oakland in a apt buildings I 'knew' some people, but since I spend most of my light time hrs either working or doing some sports - most of my friends are from those.

pixelthis
10-27-2010, 12:35 PM
I went to visit relatives in Flagstaff (7,000 el) and my head cleared up and it was great.
WOULDNT mind living there.:1:

Sir Terrence the Terrible
10-27-2010, 05:32 PM
Friends? What are those...? Nah just kidding.

No doesn't really make it hard. Most of my friends I have from climbing or biking, so we just continue to meet up and do that.

Wifie and myself are fairly flexible. She is still school, and as long as she can get to class with in a reasonable time than it works out.

I've never had say 'friends' from a neighborhood - living in Oakland in a apt buildings I 'knew' some people, but since I spend most of my light time hrs either working or doing some sports - most of my friends are from those.

That last picture made me green with envy, I was hatin on you for a minute! I inherited a vacation home in Wrightwood, and the view from that place made me spend the money to renovate and upgrade the place. There is nothing like living in the mountains......until it snows heavily. Ya don't know when you can get out of there!

Mr Peabody
10-27-2010, 06:03 PM
Adam keeps moving so people can't get those review pieces back.

atomicAdam
10-31-2010, 09:17 AM
That last picture made me green with envy, I was hatin on you for a minute! I inherited a vacation home in Wrightwood, and the view from that place made me spend the money to renovate and upgrade the place. There is nothing like living in the mountains......until it snows heavily. Ya don't know when you can get out of there!

WOW Wrightwood. We were looking at places there but their internet connection was not going to cut it.

You go there to go skiing at Mt. High? Let me know when you do, I'll drive over and visit. Cause some trouble, and generally get you back for being a trouble maker here on the forums!!! LOL j/k.

atomicAdam
10-31-2010, 09:19 AM
Adam keeps moving so people can't get those review pieces back.

LOL -- nah - I send stuff back when companies ask for it back or the agreed upon time has arrived. I'm going to be a bit sad when I do have to return these PMCs. I don't think I'll have the money to buy them. They are very nice. Speaking of which, have to finish the review today.

Jimmy C
11-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Looks a lot like my LP storage unit, albeit mine is upright :*)

I want to take some pix as well... I'll probably redo the livingroom a bit (get rid of the giant wall unit, said LP thing...) and hang a flat panel on the wall. Nothing major, I just need a change in the "mini man cave" (AKA, our livingroom).

How does it sound? Happy? Looks like a tough room, but I have weird openings as well...

atomicAdam
11-03-2010, 10:06 PM
So far it sounds pretty good - but I'm still getting too large an image on high frequencies that are soloed left or right channel. I'm still trying to work out all the reflection points.

The new stands helped a lot. I have 29inch versions - I think I'm going to try to get 24inch versions as well.

-adam