Off Topic -- New Blood [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic -- New Blood

MasterCylinder
10-25-2010, 12:20 PM
OMG I am so glad the effin Yankees are NOT in the World Series.
Way to go Texas.
Texas annual payroll = $50 million.
Yankees annual payroll = $220 million.

This morning in Vegas, Cliff Lee and the Rangers are a 1.25 to 1 favorite over the Giants in the first game........................this is even true at San Francisco with Lincecum on the home mound.

Stout !

Maybe the Series will be enjoyable this year.

Slosh
10-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Yankees are help paying the Rangers' pay roll too. The legacy of W. . . . .

ForeverAutumn
10-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Is that baseball stuff still going on?

Don't you know it's hockey season!

GMichael
10-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Us Yankee fans don't mind stepping aside now and then to let the occasional one hit wonder get a chance. Good luck to the Rangers. It should be a fun series.
Take good care of Cliff Lee for us. We’ll be needing him in top form for us next season.

Hockey? What's that?:out:

MasterCylinder
10-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Us Yankee fans don't mind stepping aside now and then to let the occasional one hit wonder get a chance. Good luck to the Rangers. It should be a fun series.
Take good care of Cliff Lee for us. We’ll be needing him in top form for us next season.

Yes you will..........because the NYY pitching sucked during the ALCS.
This is so accurately revealing....................................I wonder if Steinbrenner bought his way into Heaven ?

GMichael
10-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Yes you will..........because the NYY pitching sucked during the ALCS.
This is so accurately revealing....................................I wonder if Steinbrenner bought his way into Heaven ?
I don't think they take Master Card at the gate.

You might not see the same news we do about old George. It seems that he gave hundreds of millions away to people in need. The only rule being that they couldn't tell anyone. Now that he's gone, many stories that few knew about are coming out. He wasn't the jerk we all thought he was.

Swish
10-25-2010, 02:29 PM
...and the Phillies too (I'm a St. Louis Cardinals fan, believe it or not). My hate for the Yankees goes back to that stoopid 'curse of Bambino' and I was actually fine with the BoSox beating St. Louis to get their first W.S. ring, just because that was the end of that stoopid 'curse'.

My biggest problem with the Yanks is their ability to spend an almost unlimited amount of money to land free agents. Yes, they pay a luxury tax and the league rules allow it, but they're in the biggest market in the country and have sweetheart cable and radio deals that earns them a fortune, aside from all the other stuff.

I wish there was a true salary cap. Period. I know that buying all the best players doesn't always work because some have already peaked and others will sign elsewhere, but it's worked for them often enough.

Troy
10-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Texas sucks.

MasterCylinder
10-26-2010, 04:07 AM
He wasn't the jerk we all thought he was.
Sure he was.............don't you watch Seinfeld ?

My biggest problem with the Yanks is their ability to spend an almost unlimited amount of money to land free agents. Yes, they pay a luxury tax and the league rules allow it, but they're in the biggest market in the country and have sweetheart cable and radio deals that earns them a fortune, aside from all the other stuff.
...........and there it is............

Texas sucks.
Yes.............................in about one week they will be sucking (California) Champagne in the locker room.

GMichael
10-26-2010, 08:08 AM
I'm not sure which team I'd like to win. I like them both. Too bad the Phillies didn't make it. Then I'd at least have someone to route against.

Finch Platte
10-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Hockey? What's that?:out:

All you need to know. :thumbsup:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/attachments/the-press-box/166518d1267893188-biggest-hockey-fight-in-history-hanson_brothers.jpg

GMichael
10-26-2010, 11:55 AM
Geeks who chase parked cars?

Troy
10-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Texas sucks.
Yes.............................in about one week they will be sucking (California) Champagne in the locker room.

Perhaps, but even so, it will not prevent Texas from sucking any less.

MindGoneHaywire
10-26-2010, 10:22 PM
I like how the Yankees are somehow bad for wanting to put a winning team on the field and doing it with money instead of just the draft. Yeah, sure, it's crass. So? Should every team in baseball run their operations like the Pirates or Kansas City?

The Yankees would be profitable whether they spent so much money on salaries or not. But the owners who collect their share of luxury tax and other revenue sharing get a pass when it comes to spending some money on talent...which helps build competitive teams...which puts a$$es in the seats...which brings more profitability.

But the Yankees are bad because they spend money. Never mind that there have been owners unwilling to spend money for good players forever; the Yankees beat up on plenty of bad teams even in the 1920s to build the stats they compiled. And forget about the fact that the cost of living is higher in NYC than most places, and most industries have to pay for talent at significantly higher rates than in most of the rest of the country. That said, obviously $20 million a year or whatever is a stretch on that logic, but it still applies to a point. Does it not make sense for a player who's in demand to say, if they want me to play in New York, I'll do it, but they have to pay me way more than I'd take from another team to put up with life in the big city?

Steinbrenner WAS the jerk we thought he was; it's just that he was a lot more than that, was a lot of things we didn't know. Those stories about how he humiliated the people who worked for him didn't just go away because it was revealed that he was enormously charitable.

Many controversial people are more complex than they are painted. I loathed Steinbrenner for a long time. When I started to consider that maybe there was more to the story I realized that, like in many other situations, it's real easy to NOT look beyond the obvious to see if there's something else going on. I came to respect that he wanted to win instead of disliking him for it. When I found baseball writers that were critical of how other owners ran their teams, it provided me with a different perspective.

If spending money were all a team had to do to be the best team in baseball, the Yankees would never have a year go by where they didn't win the World Series. They've obviously developed talent, possibly the best example of it in the era of free agency. The typical performance arc that's cyclical in most sports was defied last year in a way I don't think I've ever seen. And they did with Sabathia what they couldn't with Pavano or Jaret Wright; managed to snag Teixeria to make up for the colossal mistake of signing Jason Giambi, which was a business-based decision relating to the launching of their cable network. But they've thrown money at a few players who simply couldn't perform well, for whatever reason. Nevertheless, with all their foibles, they never manage to escape the endless criticism, yadda yadda yadda. But consider the Yankees, and also the Red Sox, in terms of how the teams are run...and contrast them with another big-market team...the Mets. A team that wears a uniform the team they're playing once sported, a team that builds a stadium with a grand entrance pavilion dedicated to a player that never played for them.

At some point you have to acknowledge that some teams just have more insightful baseball executives making decisions on what goes on with the team. One more thing to hate about the Yankees is that, like Boston & Philly, they're a well-run team, with qualified people in key roles. It goes without saying that most teams either can't spend on their level, or simply make bad decisions as a matter of course. Is it the Yankees' fault that they have resources other teams don't? Oh, heck, it might as well be. How big a market was the team that won 116 games one season after building a perennial contender that only got better AFTER they traded or lost their best players? Now there's an argument for a salary cap!

The salary cap in football didn't prevent a dynasty in New England, and in basketball it hasn't stopped the Lakers. But in baseball a lot of teams have made it to the playoffs over the past several years, notably from relatively small markets like Minnesota, Tampa Bay, and Colorado.

The Yankees folded for several reasons down the stretch and obviously were outclassed by a Rangers team built to win that's peaking at the right time, thanks of course to Cliff Lee, whose trade to the Yankees was reported to be an agreement in principle before the Mariners went back to the deal they wanted more, the one that included Smoak. I thought the Yankees matched up well against them as opposed to Tampa Bay but they weren't going to win anything meaningful without Teixeira even if Hughes had pitched well in Texas. I'm still trying to figure out how they won 95 games with the subpar seasons they had from too many key players.

I think the Series shapes up to be very interesting. You Yankee haters carry on. You give many of us who root for a team that actually wants to win a rhetorical chubby.

Swish
10-27-2010, 04:00 AM
I like how the Yankees are somehow bad for wanting to put a winning team on the field and doing it with money instead of just the draft. Yeah, sure, it's crass. So? Should every team in baseball run their operations like the Pirates or Kansas City?

Don't misinterpret my comments. I don't blame the Yankees for spending the way they because it's allowed, but I blame MBL for not having a real salary cap. While it's true the cap hasn't prevented certain teams in other sports to dominate, it's still disheartening to see nearly every big-name player on the free agent market go to the Yankees. I'll never disrespect some of their individual players, like Jeter and Posada, but I do take pleasure when they stumble with that huge payroll and have a jerk like A-Rod on their roster.

Hyfi
10-27-2010, 04:12 AM
Is that baseball stuff still going on?

Don't you know it's hockey season!

Sure do, as the Flyers kicked butt on Toronto the other night 5-2!

Luvin Da Blues
10-27-2010, 04:20 AM
Sure do, as the Flyers kicked butt on Toronto the other night 5-2!

Not too much to brag about here, it's only the Maple Laughs. LOL

MasterCylinder
10-27-2010, 04:21 AM
To MGH :
In a business context, I wound never disagree with anything you posted above, but I will add this thought :

Because the NYY do have inordinate resources, they are able to "buy" pennants. I don't believe that is the biggest problem with fans that like to boo the Yanks.
The biggest problem is the obnoxious presumption that if any player has a standout performance in a given year, then they are property of the Yankees for the rest of their career (as reflected in GMichaels gut reaction in his first post above). Perhaps its not so much that the Yankees are able to do that, as much is it is that the other teams that finally get help from a top notch player are not able to keep them.

That is the reason it was sweet to watch the Rangers kick some NYY a$$ while the Yanks were fielding three ex-Rangers.

Believe me, NBA fans loved watching the Heat lose the game last night....same reason.

GMichael
10-27-2010, 05:04 AM
To MGH :
In a business context, I wound never disagree with anything you posted above, but I will add this thought :

Because the NYY do have inordinate resources, they are able to "buy" pennants. I don't believe that is the biggest problem with fans that like to boo the Yanks.
The biggest problem is the obnoxious presumption that if any player has a standout performance in a given year, then they are property of the Yankees for the rest of their career (as reflected in GMichaels gut reaction in his first post above). Perhaps its not so much that the Yankees are able to do that, as much is it is that the other teams that finally get help from a top notch player are not able to keep them.

That is the reason it was sweet to watch the Rangers kick some NYY a$$ while the Yanks were fielding three ex-Rangers.

Believe me, NBA fans loved watching the Heat lose the game last night....same reason.
My comment on Cliff Lee was because he was already on the table to come to NY. Not because every big name player out there somehow belongs to us. It was not a "gut reaction" as much as stating a situation already in the works. Please remove my reflection from your thoughts.

MasterCylinder
10-27-2010, 11:52 AM
My comment on Cliff Lee was because he was already on the table to come to NY.

Incorrect..............Cliff Lee was on the table to leave Seattle.

GMichael
10-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Incorrect..............Cliff Lee was on the table to leave Seattle.
...and the Yankees were not only a part of that trade talk, but much talk has been made that he would still end up here next year. All I did was bring up talk that has already been going on.

Swish
10-28-2010, 04:09 PM
To MGH :

...I thoroughly enjoyed their loss to the Celtics, who I also don't like. That whole Lebron 'The Decision' thing was the most pretentious piece of crap I've ever hear of, right up there with that Oprah dinner.

I almost forgot how the Yanks had those ex-Rangers, so that is a bonus. It was argued that the Cardinals owner had a lot more money than Steinbrenner so why didn't he spend it on players, and I responded that, while the Busch family certainly had more money, that was from the beer business, not the baseball team. You don't take money from one business to sink into another. The Cardinals have to stand on their own, and they do, but they don't make as much money in that Middle-America location.

Troy
10-29-2010, 08:13 AM
Like I said, Texas sucks. They should be embarrassed.

GMichael
10-29-2010, 09:22 AM
I was hoping to see Texas do well. Maybe when they get home they'll do better. But I wouldn't mind seeing our old sister team get the win either.

Swish
10-29-2010, 11:24 AM

Winning the American League pennant? Beating the Yankees? Oh, you mean losing the first two games? Well, that's why they play a 7 game series. Don't count your chickens, although the team from the land of fruits and nuts is looking pretty good so far, but that doesn't mean Texas sucks.

Troy
10-29-2010, 01:39 PM

Embarrassed? About what? Winning the American League pennant? Beating the Yankees?

I mean that ball-breaking 7 run 8th inning, most of them coming on walks and errors. I mean getting shut out, ugly-style. I kinda feel sorry for them. But then I remember that they are from Texas and that makes me swell with local pride.

SF beating Dallas, that's a local tradition that I can really get behind, no matter what the sport is.

Texas should just secede already. Don't let the door hit you on the ass, and knock off your silly hat, on the way out.

02audionoob
10-29-2010, 03:46 PM
I mean that ball-breaking 7 run 8th inning, most of them coming on walks and errors. I mean getting shut out, ugly-style. I kinda feel sorry for them. But then I remember that they are from Texas and that makes me swell with local pride.

SF beating Dallas, that's a local tradition that I can really get behind, no matter what the sport is.

Texas should just secede already. Don't let the door hit you on the ass, and knock off your silly hat, on the way out.

Wow...You're a total jackass. If you have something that negative and irrational to say, it seems like you could just PM it to whomever made you so miffed at Texas.

Troy
10-29-2010, 04:19 PM
Wow...You're a total jackass. If you have something that negative and irrational to say, it seems like you could just PM it to whomever made you so miffed at Texas.

LOLZ, are you kidding me!!??!! Waaah waaah! What a crybaby. "Don't be so mean to Texas, wah, waaah!" Oh man, that's rich.

It's sports. City by city rivalries are, you know, normal. Dallas sucks and I hope they never win another championship in any sport. Get over it.

And one more thing–it's a message board. For, you know, opinions. How many years have you been here? Jeez man, how many have I been here? Does this really need an explanation?

Go cry in your Lone Star.

http://brentfavre.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/22653_261012559922_729379922_4455920_244074_n.jpg

02audionoob
10-29-2010, 04:52 PM
LOLZ, are you kidding me!!??!! Waaah waaah! What a crybaby. "Don't be so mean to Texas, wah, waaah!" Oh man, that's rich.

It's sports. City by city rivalries are, you know, normal. Dallas sucks and I hope they never win another championship in any sport. Get over it.

And one more thing–it's a message board. For, you know, opinions. How many years have you been here? Jeez man, how many have I been here? Does this really need an explanation?

Go cry in your Lone Star.

Sports isn't the issue. It's not the rivalry. I get that part. It's the stereotypes and myths as if everyone in Texas wears a cowboy hat and wants to secede. You should get out more.

By the way...if your comments are only related to sports and hating Dallas sports teams, then actually no further explanation needed...and excuuuuuuse me.

Troy
10-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Sports isn't the issue. It's not the rivalry. I get that part. It's the stereotypes and myths as if everyone in Texas wears a cowboy hat and wants to secede. You should get out more.

LOL again!

Oh, the pain and humiliation of guilt by association! If a Texan doesn't like being associated with secession, silly hats and Lone Star beer, he could, you know, move to someplace with more class and sophistication.

I've been all over Texas. I know how smug and arrogant Texans are. I know how Dallas tries to put a glossy veneer on the state's ugly, violent, intolerant, white-trash history. I know how miserable most of TX is. Hot, dusty, flat, windy–what an awful place. I personally know people from the left coast that moved to Austin because it was supposed to be "the liberal Texas city." They all left after a few years, specifically to escape the racist, redneck mentality so pervasive in all of Texas.

I hate Texas and everything it stands for. Go Giants.

GMichael
10-30-2010, 06:06 AM
Didn't this thread start as an anti-Yankee thread. Seems that turn around is fair play. Besides, it's all just sports bravado. Does any of it really matter? It's all for fun.

Swish
10-31-2010, 07:41 AM

...sucking, but I also can't stand the San Fran Giants, especially because of the Barry Bonds years. Yes, Mark McGuire, of my beloved St. Louis Cardinals, took steroids too, but he was actually a decent human being while Bonds was a piece of s<a>hit.

About that game last night; losing 4-2 is still losing, and this is the first team from Texas to win a World Series game. It only takes one to get rolling, so don't count your chickens.

Swish
11-01-2010, 07:50 AM

By the way...if your comments are only related to sports and hating Dallas sports teams, then actually no further explanation needed...and excuuuuuuse me.

He got in a drunken bar fight and lost, then was thrown in the pokey with his two black eyes. All this after he got snubbed by a girl from Lubbock after losing all his money in a game of Texas Hold 'em.

Don't take his jabs so seriously. Besides, the 49ers are dominating Dallas with their 2-6 record while the Cowboys are a measly 1-6 so you have little to brag about now.

GMichael
11-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Texas is in a hole now. Can Cliff Lee dig them out? I know he's good, but that kid on San Fran ain't so bad either. Should be a good game.

Troy
11-01-2010, 09:00 AM
I also can't stand the San Fran Giants, especially because of the Barry Bonds years. Yes, Mark McGuire, of my beloved St. Louis Cardinals, took steroids too, but he was actually a decent human being while Bonds was a piece of ****.

No argument from me, I was never a Barry fan. All thru the Bonds era I said they'd never win a championship because they were to much about Bonds and his individual records, rather than about playing as a team. Most locals blew me off, but it looks like I was right. It takes a team to win a MLB championship.

This Giants team has nothing to do with Bonds, thank god.

And that McGwire finally gave in to pressure to admit he juiced, and Bonds didn't doesn't make Big Mac a saint. They are all deeply flawed scumbags.

Don't take his jabs so seriously. Besides, the 49ers are dominating Dallas with their 2-6 record while the Cowboys are a measly 1-6 so you have little to brag about now.

At least it looks like we found a QB this week. Hope the Cow fans have fun with Kitna, the second coming of Steve DeBerg–that career back-up bum that always plays just good enough to lose.

God, I loved watching the anti-christ Bush family look bored, squirming in their box behind the bullpen.

One more game, go Giants!

MasterCylinder
11-02-2010, 04:33 AM
Texas is in a hole now. Can Cliff Lee dig them out?
I know he's good, but that kid on San Fran ain't so bad either.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SF pitching showed up big-time...........they were too good..........very good.........Texas always has big bats but SF pitching had them quiet ..........they were dominant and deserved the win..................maybe the SF pitchers were good enough to attract your Yankee pirates and leave Lee to the other bidders.

I've been all over Texas. I know how smug and arrogant Texans are. I know how Dallas tries to put a glossy veneer on the state's ugly, violent, intolerant, white-trash history. I know how miserable most of TX is. Hot, dusty, flat, windy–what an awful place. I personally know people from the left coast that moved to Austin because it was supposed to be "the liberal Texas city." They all left after a few years, specifically to escape the racist, redneck mentality so pervasive in all of Texas.
I hate Texas and everything it stands for.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wow.........didn't know you were capable of such sophomoric generalizations.
I was just happy they finally got a team in the World Series.

GMichael
11-02-2010, 05:05 AM
Texas is in a hole now. Can Cliff Lee dig them out?
I know he's good, but that kid on San Fran ain't so bad either.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SF pitching showed up big-time...........they were too good..........very good.........Texas always has big bats but SF pitching had them quiet ..........they were dominant and deserved the win..................maybe the SF pitchers were good enough to attract your Yankee pirates and leave Lee to the other bidders.

I hate Texas and everything it stands for.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a good game. Pitching was top notch. SF deserved the win.

My Yankee pirates don't check with me before they make their bids. But I think that they are intersted in Lee because he'll be a free agent now. Not sure how many other great pitchers will be available if any.

Troy
11-02-2010, 09:07 AM

Yeah, I'm such a jerk.

GO GIANTS!

MasterCylinder
11-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Yeah, I'm such a jerk.

GO GIANTS!

LMAO !
Good year for baseball.

Stone
11-02-2010, 10:43 AM
I couldn't care less about baseball, but I have to say, this is an entertaining thread.

Swish
11-02-2010, 03:34 PM
No argument from me, I was never a Barry fan. All thru the Bonds era I said they'd never win a championship because they were to much about Bonds and his individual records, rather than about playing as a team. Most locals blew me off, but it looks like I was right. It takes a team to win a MLB championship.

This Giants team has nothing to do with Bonds, thank god.

And that McGwire finally gave in to pressure to admit he juiced, and Bonds didn't doesn't make Big Mac a saint. They are all deeply flawed scumbags.

At least it looks like we found a QB this week. Hope the Cow fans have fun with Kitna, the second coming of Steve DeBerg–that career back-up bum that always plays just good enough to lose.

God, I loved watching the anti-christ Bush family look bored, squirming in their box behind the bullpen.

One more game, go Giants!

They got hot at the right time, especially the pitching. That's one weird thing about the W.S.. The hitters don't face those pictures during the regular season, unless they get some inter-league games of course. I imagine that makes it tough, but the Giants figured out Cliff Lee, didn't they?

MasterCylinder
11-03-2010, 04:11 AM
Swish just reminded me of a bit of MLB trivia...............

SF Giants at Texas was the very first interleague game.....June 12, 1997.

Swish
11-03-2010, 06:21 AM
Swish just reminded me of a bit of MLB trivia...............

SF Giants at Texas was the very first interleague game.....June 12, 1997.

You know, Prop 9?

Troy
11-03-2010, 09:43 AM
You know, Prop 9?

You probably mean 19, the pot initiative. Yeah, sucks, but even if the status quo remains as it is, with all the clubs/dispensaries and virtual decriminalization for small quantities, all is well.

Swish
11-03-2010, 09:50 AM
You probably mean 19, the pot initiative. Yeah, sucks, but even if the status quo remains as it is, with all the clubs/dispensaries and virtual decriminalization for small quantities, all is well.

...another senior moment (sigh).

Troy
11-03-2010, 10:32 AM
...another senior moment (sigh).

Another pothead moment . . .

GMichael
11-03-2010, 10:34 AM
A senior pothead?

Swish
11-03-2010, 10:53 AM
A senior pothead?

No idea whatsoever.