Daytime screen calibration [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Daytime screen calibration

audio amateur
10-25-2010, 05:50 AM
When I'm not watching a movie, I usually have lights on or natural sunlight in the room. Ive calibrated my screen using the THX optimiser tool which emphasises that calibration must be done in a darkened room. But what about calibrating the screen for normal daytime viewing? is there a simple formula (up the brightness/cell light), or do you have to go through all the settings again and have two settings presets?

Cheers

Sir Terrence the Terrible
10-25-2010, 06:36 AM
When I'm not watching a movie, I usually have lights on or natural sunlight in the room. Ive calibrated my screen using the THX optimiser tool which emphasises that calibration must be done in a darkened room. But what about calibrating the screen for normal daytime viewing? is there a simple formula (up the brightness/cell light), or do you have to go through all the settings again and have two settings presets?

Cheers

You don't have to worry about the color as much as the brightness levels.

If you have a ambient light detector on your set, I would engage it. It will lift the brightness levels as the light in the room increases. It will only lift it as needed, so you don't have to worry about any excessive changes to the brightness levels. This will also raise the black level a bit as well, so you will still be able to get some shadow detail, and it won't be crushed by excessive ambient light levels.

audio amateur
10-25-2010, 07:00 AM
If you have a ambient light detector on your set, I would engage it. It will lift the brightness levels as the light in the room increases. It will only lift it as needed, so you don't have to worry about any excessive changes to the brightness levels. This will also raise the black level a bit as well, so you will still be able to get some shadow detail, and it won't be crushed by excessive ambient light levels.
So simply using the settings I have for movie watching and engaging the light detector should be enough?
Thanks T.

GMichael
10-25-2010, 07:01 AM
I have run calibration for my projector under a few different conditions, and then saved the settings. I just use the one that matches the conditions of the time.
As Sir T said, the color setting came out about the same. It’s the brightness and contrast that change the most. I don’t have an ambient light detector, but it is a 4 year old model.

audio amateur
10-25-2010, 07:05 AM
I don’t have an ambient light detector, but it is a 4 year old model.
And it's a projector :)

GMichael
10-25-2010, 07:25 AM
And it's a projector :)
Seems like a great app to have on a projector. Not sure if the newer models have them.

Smokey
10-25-2010, 07:31 PM
As Sir T and GMichael mentioned, Contrast and Brightness are only adjustment that needed when going from dark to light room. Although I find myself adjusting Contrast more than Brightness when room light intensity changes.