Help for my knucklehead. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help for my knucklehead.

Worf101
10-25-2010, 04:01 AM
I bought my son his first portable music device 2.5 years ago when he turned 15. In that time I've purchased him about 7 sets of headphones, he and his "friends" have destroyed ever friggin one. He's been without cans for over 4 months now living with ear buds, but I don't like the idea of that long term so I'm asking the following.

1. Is there a dumbass teenager proof set of cans?
2. Does Sennheiser (or anyone else for that matter) make portable cans with detachable wires like my big boy Senns?
3. Can any of the above be had at a reasonable price?

Enquring minds wanna know, thanks in advance....

Worf

Hyfi
10-25-2010, 04:35 AM
Maybe an Audio Bone may help, but learning responsibility would go further.

http://www.audioboneheadphones.com/howitworks.html

atomicAdam
10-25-2010, 03:55 PM
make him buy his own and they might not get destroyed as quickly.

but other than that... i'm not sure. but please post what you find out.

GMichael
10-26-2010, 08:11 AM
I have found that Sennheiser's have a good sound, but are easy to break. Unfortunately I don't know much about other brands to help you.

vlad008
10-26-2010, 08:42 AM
what about some of these larger skullcandy headphones - don't seem to pricey. But i remember when I was a kid i'd go through headphones pretty quickly as well. It just seemed to happen.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=skullcandy+headphones&hl=en&cid=6889837209160702785&ei=owTHTIjrJ5LQiQTampXTAg&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p

Mr Peabody
10-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Worf, my man, if there is I haven't found it yet, and, trust me I've looked. My daughter is 11 now and in a wheel chair, she wears her headphones almost every where, they help her filter outside noise, she is sensitive to many noises. It's strange, she usually can concentrate on what's going on around her better with them on. So, I have spent a small fortune on headphones. Some had the wire get caught in the wheel or caught on something else when lifting or transporting her, some just broke with rough use, some, one side or the other just quit working etc. I can understand her breaking some occasionally but it makes me mad when those responsible for her let them get broke.

They don't sound the greatest but one of the longest lasting are the $10.00 Memorex at Wal-Mart. They are sort of like buds that go in the ear but on a flexible headband. I think the flex helps them last, and, they are cheap. There's cheaper but she seems to like this style as well. There's also a $20.00 JVC that actually sound good, they are heavier but didn't seem to last longer than the cheaper ones, I can't remember how those got broke. It seems this plastic used in the headphones is brittle. If it's the cord that's the issue for your child you may be able to email Sennheiser to ask what the cheapest model with detachable cord might be. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any other phones offer that feature. I really think with the portables, and especially for kids, it's flexibility that is the key and not sturdy, mainly because I haven't found "sturdy" enough :)

ForeverAutumn
10-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Worf and Mr. P, please check your PMs for an offer that you can't refuse. ;)