How to improve AudioReview Forums [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How to improve AudioReview Forums

atomicAdam
10-24-2010, 06:09 PM
I'd like to hear suggestions on how we can improve the AudioReview forums. What can we as users do to attract and keep new members?

I know I've worked and am working hard on the SPAM issues, it seems to be going well.

We are in the middle or upgrading our vBulletin software - this will give more web2.0 features and tie-ins with social media.

But what do we are users have control over to attract new members? Better post? More reviews. How can we attract manufacturers to participate in the forums?

WE need to make this place more popular so that it doesn't fade away.

Geoffcin
10-24-2010, 06:19 PM
This is a great question! New members are always hard to get, and even harder to keep.

I would say that in every club/forum/BB that I've belonged to over the last 20 years, the ones that have been successful keeping new members are the ones that are the friendliest and inviting to new members. The ones that have failed have had a closed "cliquish" feeling where new members are often not even responded to.

JohnMichael
10-24-2010, 06:31 PM
This is a great question! New members are always hard to get, and even harder to keep.

I would say that in every club/forum/BB that I've belonged to over the last 20 years, the ones that have been successful keeping new members are the ones that are the friendliest and inviting to new members. The ones that have failed have had a closed "cliquish" feeling where new members are often not even responded to.

Good point! Sometimes I think we get caught up in some of the age old battles, tubes vs. transistors, wires sound alike or different and new members never get their questions answered. We have some members who are good at welcoming and saying they may not know but someone should be along with some advice. Like any business we need to work on first impressions.

If a new member asks a simplistic question and it is their first few posts maybe we could keep from letting some of our other issues overtake their thread. Let us be respectful of the original poster. Well for a little while.

dakatabg
10-24-2010, 06:34 PM
If we have more reviews on the items and they pop up at the google search that will help get many people. I see new products hasn't been added in a long time plus some repeat a lot like most of the sony receivers. If we have more reviews that will appear at the google search, that will attract many people. Thats how I got here. I post a lot of pics so in every search audioreview site appears.

Worf101
10-25-2010, 03:54 AM
I've been giving this a lot of thought lately. This website is the ONLY one I come to 3 or 4 times a day. I've actually purchased services from advertisers on this site. I post regularly and try to answer noob questions when I can. Despite all this even I notice a drop in posting and attendance. The decline is probably attributable to many things, recession, lack of time to read and post, the movement of all things audio from a passion to a commodity frame of mind, the dispicable IPod and its filthy spawn.... So with these forces arrayed agin us I've some suggestions.

1. More reviews everyone. I don't care how old the gear is write as detailed a review as you can and update those you've already written.

2. Help the noobs. I'm most guilty of falling down on this I'll try and do better.

3. Keep up the humor (within reason) you catch more flies and all dat.

4. Try and keep the arguements from getting too personal. I know it's hard but we do have PM's lets try and put a civil face on things.

5. Subscriptions/donations - I know this is a touchy subject but I subscribe to a couple of other sites I love far less than this one. Make it optional and allow those of us that can, help keep up the site we love.

Hope this helps.

Worf

Tarheel_
10-25-2010, 04:31 AM
Exposure....without looking at the page hits, I'd guess most folks hit the homepage. The homepage contains tons of information, but none promoting the "forums" area.
Forums is just a small link under the "SHARE" button. Chances are, most folks will never know this site has a discussion forum.
I suggest a "Forum" pane be placed on the homepage with the most recent, popular threads listed. Basically, a Forum pane with the top 5 discussions. This should draw traffic inward.
Just looking at the homepage, there is a section open just below the "10 Most Popular" pane.

woofersus
10-25-2010, 05:38 AM
Exposure....without looking at the page hits, I'd guess most folks hit the homepage. The homepage contains tons of information, but none promoting the "forums" area.
Forums is just a small link under the "SHARE" button. Chances are, most folks will never know this site has a discussion forum.
I suggest a "Forum" pane be placed on the homepage with the most recent, popular threads listed. Basically, a Forum pane with the top 5 discussions. This should draw traffic inward.
Just looking at the homepage, there is a section open just below the "10 Most Popular" pane.
Excellent point. I visited the home page dozens of times over the course of 2 years before I ever realized there was a forum here. There should AT LEAST be a well labeled link on the home page.

Another idea would be to find a way to link content from the front page to forum discussions. It would be good SEO best practice and it would cause the forums to come up in google searches much more often. Maybe your new software will allow the comments to also be a forum discussion or something. The "forum pane" is a good idea too.

Lastly, perhaps you could offer advertisers or site sponsors of a certain level (I don't know how many you have) a subforum and encourage them to participate. Some other forums do this and it seems to work well. It's good for forum traffic and it can be a new revenue producer.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
10-25-2010, 05:44 AM
There is nothing here really to attract anyone to this site. We need more equipment reviews, but you also need movie and music reviews as well. Not some hankty volunteer your own review type of thing, but an official Audioreview section devoted to semi professional reviews of both music and movies.

There, I said it. Now I feel betta

Hyfi
10-25-2010, 05:55 AM
Unfortunately, this place died with the upgrade to vBulletin and the increased usage and sharing of MP3s and the likes.

When Comp Trading was going on, we had many people in the Rave Recs area all the time. Now that everything is a digital download or share, that fun activity is a goner.

The other problem is one only sees the original post heading and may or may not decide to read through many posts to find out that it did not interest or apply to them. Before the software change, you could have all the thread headings expanded and jump in wherever you thought was right for you, or pass the post by because you could already see what was going on within it.

I know there is no turning back but vB killed this place and it will never recover from that. It still works fine over at Audio Asylum and I hope they never change software or they will be dead also.

Sorry but that's how I have felt since the day it happened.

audio amateur
10-25-2010, 05:59 AM
Excellent point. I visited the home page dozens of times over the course of 2 years before I ever realized there was a forum here.
Same here

Geoffcin
10-25-2010, 06:08 AM
Yes, you could go to the Audioreview.com website and not even know the forums exist!

It would be great if we could get a bigger piece of the front page. Also, if you post a review it should also include registration to the forums. Possibly even a re-direct after you post to te review section?

mlsstl
10-25-2010, 06:27 AM
There are some good points about making this place easier to find, but my two cents is that another factor is this forum has a somewhat cliquish quality that can be off-putting to newcomers.

All internet forums have cliques to some degree (in fact, it is just human nature as respects group behavior) but the key is to have a situation where newcomers can stick around long enough to form a bit of attachment with one group or another, or at least the subject at hand.

One aspect I've noted about Audio Review is how often posts by newcomers are either somewhat ignored or answered with a condescending tone. Either one will quickly send people elsewhere.

I've been here four years and it is often difficult to find a thread that interests me or where I have an urge to get in the middle of what often seems like a private discussion. If I'm having that reaction after four years, what's it seem like to the newbie?

audio amateur
10-25-2010, 06:34 AM
I find that most times newbies are greeted very well and are given the advice they ask for. I can't say that this isn't a welcoming forum.

Poultrygeist
10-25-2010, 07:00 AM
One thing that is puzzling is why so many will view one's thread and never take the time to comment. It's particularly discouraging when a member takes photos and posts them and still gets zero responses.

I like this forum as it's not so terribly technical and I believe there is a niche for that. We should be aiming more content at folks who are just getting started. I think we assume most readers know the basics which is not always the case.

I love AC's "cheap and cheerful" and this forum should encourage something similar.

mlsstl
10-25-2010, 07:05 AM
Out of interest, I just looked at about a dozen threads where the original poster had under four or five posts to his name. Without quantifying things on a spreadsheet, they did seem to follow a pattern.

Often, the OP is never heard from again, and if the thread doesn't die quickly, it becomes a private discussion among the regulars that may or may not stick with the original topic.

Another pattern is the OP just wanted a quick answer and got it (or maybe not) but gave no appearance they had found a new place to hang.

The problem is one of perspective. What appears to be "welcoming" behavior to a regular may look completely different to a stranger.

Geoffcin
10-25-2010, 08:47 AM
It's really a numbers game. For every one that sticks, hundreds pass through. If you can get the "pass-through" amount to go up the sticks will go up too. If we could get even a small percentage of the people who read the reviews to visit the boards then membership would go up considerably.

dakatabg
10-25-2010, 09:54 AM
We have to so something, I really like this site and I don't want one day to try to log in and this site not to exist anymore because not of having enough people or interest!

Look how popular the audiokarma is! They have hundreds of new members and they stick there!

Hyfi
10-25-2010, 10:04 AM
PE has a nice feature where when a Mod deems a thread too far off topic, political, or otherwise not related to music, they send it to PM only and include all who posted in the link. Maybe something like that may help if our usual bickering is truly what turns people away.

I really don't think that to be true. I have been here for over 12 years and the same 20 or so folks are still here while thousands have come and gone.

Maybe you could try banning us old timers to see if traffic picks up.

GMichael
10-25-2010, 10:17 AM
Hey! I'm not that old.

I came here because I did a search on google for new receivers. A thread came up that gave me a lot of information and helped me. But now when a nubb asks about a receiver, it gets almost no response. We need to help these people. Most will leave anyhow, but a few will stay and become family.

Hyfi
10-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Hey! I'm not that old.

I came here because I did a search on google for new receivers. A thread came up that gave me a lot of information and helped me. But now when a nubb asks about a receiver, it gets almost no response. We need to help these people. Most will leave anyhow, but a few will stay and become family.

I have seen many newbie posts about which receiver to buy and almost all were answered with a greeting, questions about other gear and music tastes. Maybe one problem is that most of us may not use receivers so cannot comment on them.

I just did a quick search on receivers and found no unanswered thread on the first page.

http://forums.audioreview.com/search.php?searchid=277372

Geoffcin
10-25-2010, 10:49 AM

HA! That's the "Logans Run" solution eh?

dakatabg
10-25-2010, 10:50 AM
At every review there should be a link to go to the forum so this way we can get some people!

Discussing and posting pics of audio gear will help a lot because people like to see pictures!

GMichael
10-25-2010, 11:02 AM
I have seen many newbie posts about which receiver to buy and almost all were answered with a greeting, questions about other gear and music tastes. Maybe one problem is that most of us may not use receivers so cannot comment on them.

I just did a quick search on receivers and found no unanswered thread on the first page.

http://forums.audioreview.com/search.php?searchid=277372
I'm still not old!:nono:

poppachubby
10-25-2010, 11:16 AM
vB is not the issue here. While it may have changed a dynamic that used to exist, Audio Karma is proof posistive that vB is perfectly fine for a site of this type.

I know some of you post at AK, but it is truly thriving. One big difference? It's moderated with a heavy hand. They have a "philosophy", if any thread turns into too much of a fight or goes OT, it gets closed. The reason there is so much fighting and such here is that we are pretty much left to our own devices. I am not suggesting a military state, but it's a point to ponder.

There are some EXCELLENT suggestions here. Yes, AR has become irrelevant people. I fully agree with Terrence, we need current and interesting opinions on what's happening to draw newbies. I think this combined with the ideas about proper linking to the forums page would at the very least increase traffic.

It's a tough proposition. The only one getting paid around here is Adam. We all live busy and productive lives with jobs, family's, etc. I think however if the right ideas are put out there, and the precious time we have is a bit more focused, we could make a difference.

As far as the infighting goes, that's nothing more than boredom.

The review portion of this site is great, but still lacks in alot of ways. There's still the old issue of a zillion products with no review attached.

pixelthis
10-25-2010, 01:29 PM
I'm still not old!:nono:

You keep on repeating that(virtual headpat).
Meanwhile, there is one thing that will increase attendance..
WOMEN WITH MACHINE GUNS!
yeah....:1:

Geoffcin
10-25-2010, 01:39 PM
Pix your such a misogynist pig, take that!

http://images.moviefill.com/85e56296a5ef4042_bf5e3f749d15930e_o.jpg

pixelthis
10-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Pix your such a misogynist pig, take that!

http://images.moviefill.com/85e56296a5ef4042_bf5e3f749d15930e_o.jpg

I will have you know that I have never done any gynecology at all(outside of
the usual amateur stuff).
Thanks for the pic.:1:

poppachubby
10-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Somehow you guys are totally correct.

atomicAdam
10-25-2010, 03:24 PM
If we have more reviews on the items and they pop up at the google search that will help get many people. I see new products hasn't been added in a long time plus some repeat a lot like most of the sony receivers. If we have more reviews that will appear at the google search, that will attract many people. Thats how I got here. I post a lot of pics so in every search audioreview site appears.

dakatabg - this is good point but actually a lot of new items have been added, unforunately they are being added by hand and it is slow process. I have some help for this but most of the large data transfers that one would hope would be in effect currently aren't for a variety of reason. I've been trying to be good about getting requested stuff added, but I can be better. So if there is stuff you think needs to be added, even if it is like - hey add all the new stuff from this manufacturer - please shoot me an email or PM and the stuff will get added.

The plethora of duplicate or old products is slowly being dealt with. We got our archiving tool working again, but on the couple sections I tested it on it mess up our inflow of traffic from search engines into those sections. If I archived some of the bigger stuff it would seriously hurt traffic and there for ad rev. But it is on my plate to get dealt with.

atomicAdam
10-25-2010, 03:28 PM

This is a good idea. I've toyed with putting something together in the past but it would have to manually updated at this point. This is good idea and I'll see what I can come up with. If I could get some of you to shoot me a PM of a hot thread when one is going down please do. I unfortunately am not everywhere on the forums. For instance I almost never go into Off Topic/DYI/ or some others. So help this admin out with a simple PM and I can do the rest.

atomicAdam
10-25-2010, 03:32 PM
There is nothing here really to attract anyone to this site. We need more equipment reviews, but you also need movie and music reviews as well. Not some hankty volunteer your own review type of thing, but an official Audioreview section devoted to semi professional reviews of both music and movies.

There, I said it. Now I feel betta

Don't railroad yourself into some free work.... :)

But I agree. I've been talking to someone about getting some music reviews on the site. At this point though I can only help those who will work for free. But once something gets started I'm sure there is a way to get new CDs and DVDs into reviewers hands for free.

Though in all honesty this isn't really the focus of the site though it is a small subsection. I like what Tone has been doing in this regard.

atomicAdam
10-25-2010, 03:39 PM
One thing that is puzzling is why so many will view one's thread and never take the time to comment. It's particularly discouraging when a member takes photos and posts them and still gets zero responses.

I like this forum as it's not so terribly technical and I believe there is a niche for that. We should be aiming more content at folks who are just getting started. I think we assume most readers know the basics which is not always the case.

I love AC's "cheap and cheerful" and this forum should encourage something similar.

can you PM me a link please?

atomicAdam
10-25-2010, 03:43 PM
PE has a nice feature where when a Mod deems a thread too far off topic, political, or otherwise not related to music, they send it to PM only and include all who posted in the link. Maybe something like that may help if our usual bickering is truly what turns people away.

I really don't think that to be true. I have been here for over 12 years and the same 20 or so folks are still here while thousands have come and gone.

So the forum is too old for it's own good... I see I see.

What is PE - can you PM me a link please. That feature sounds interesting, it might be in the new version of vB.

And yeah - sorry - there is no going back at this point, but hopefully the new version of vB will offer some features similar to what used to be.

atomicAdam
10-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions -

I think some of them, like the 'whats going on the forums' (better name pending) is totally doable. As well a better tie in from the product pages to the forums is possible. That really is just a preset google search with some variable keywords.

I think photos and more reviews is also a great idea. I know it is hard to write reviews. I mean, I do it as part of my job.... and it is still hard.

I answered a lot of your post one to one - and if I didn't answer your post don't think I didn't read it.

How would you all feel if this forum was a little heavier handed. I'm starting to think it might be good for some of you long time members with certain grudges to really start to put those aside. But I agree that really it is a numbers came. The more people i/we can attract the more will stay.

Hyfi
10-25-2010, 04:58 PM
vB is not the issue here. While it may have changed a dynamic that used to exist, Audio Karma is proof posistive that vB is perfectly fine for a site of this type.

I know some of you post at AK, but it is truly thriving. One big difference? It's moderated with a heavy hand. They have a "philosophy", if any thread turns into too much of a fight or goes OT, it gets closed. The reason there is so much fighting and such here is that we are pretty much left to our own devices. I am not suggesting a military state, but it's a point to ponder.

PoppaC, just for fun, if you have the ability, go back and query how many posts and threads just the Rave Recs board had, 6 months prior to vB, and then 6 months after for the whole forum.

AK had many members long before our switchover and more than likely from the beginning software. The "Dynamics" that changed were what this place used to be. I'm not sure how long you have been here to know how it used to be.

I started posting in the Cable forum only for a long time. There were multiple full time debates and threads to state your points (read as Argue) within. After getting my @ss kicked for both knowledge and experience at the time, I migrated over to the Rave Recs board where I met many a great virtual friend. That board had a whole lot more than the now regular handful posting every day. Then it changed. After RR died due to several reasons I recently branched out to find good posts on almost all the boards, but the traffic on any one given day here matches what you missed in an hours time back then just on RR. (am I right old timers? Give me a H@ll Yeah!)

Maybe more heavy handedness would be fine. It's been proven forever that people cannot properly police themselves when left alone. I'm guilty, you're guilty. Go ahead, close threads, delete unruly posts, ban abusers. Respect draws more than chaos.

And, a good ole flame war now and then can be good fun when concerned parties make nice at the end. It happens once in a while. It also draws a crowd.

Now on the other hand, people who continuously post about $12 pc speaker, won't mention names, those posts should just be deleted after the 20th time or so. Smarter than people give him credit. He knows exactly what he is doing.

I plan to hang out, good or bad.

02audionoob
10-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Does this forum have an identity? A reason for being? Is Rave Recs its identity? If so, that's not much to hang your hat on. AudioKarma for example is loaded with talk of old gear. That's their bag. If the enclosure isn't wood-grained, get it out of here. Turntables, speakers, tube amps...they're older than I am.

So anyway...it's perhaps a case of being what you are...which isn't a big attraction. Daily banter among 20 virtual friends doesn't make for much of a forum, really. I don't know that reviews are going to help, either. In the case of AK, they have 7 people currently viewing the reviews, 80 in Vintage Solid State, 89 in Turntables and 121 in Speakers.

Sure cliques, fights and a$$holes drive people away. But then maybe there weren't that many stopping in to begin with.

poppachubby
10-25-2010, 05:47 PM
Does this forum have an identity? A reason for being? Is Rave Recs its identity? If so, that's not much to hang your hat on. AudioKarma for example is loaded with talk of old gear. That's their bag. If the enclosure isn't wood-grained, get it out of here. Turntables, speakers, tube amps...they're older than I am.

So anyway...it's perhaps a case of being what you are...which isn't a big attraction. Daily banter among 20 virtual friends doesn't make for much of a forum, really. I don't know that reviews are going to help, either. In the case of AK, they have 7 people currently viewing the reviews, 80 in Vintage Solid State, 89 in Turntables and 121 in Speakers.

Sure cliques, fights and a$$holes drive people away. But then maybe there weren't that many stopping in to begin with.

Ouch. Hit em where it hurts my froggy friend. I agree with you however, there is no niche being offered here except the fact that I am here. Let's face it, I am very cool. AK has the vintage thing and the Asylum has the $250 000 amp thing...what do we have?

Where I disagree with you noob is that I think the review angle could be made to be great. It's what draws alot of people here, if not to the forums, to AR as a site. The question is, what to review and how to get it. We are far from being a bunch of respected reviewers, so why should any company lend us anything.

02audionoob
10-25-2010, 06:15 PM
I didn't mean to hit or hurt. I'm just stating my opinion of where this place is lacking. They have fights and cliques at the Asylum all the time and the traffic keeps coming. If you want to have a meaningful exchange about a Koetsu cartridge by golly you can have one.

ForeverAutumn
10-25-2010, 06:18 PM
How would you all feel if this forum was a little heavier handed. I'm starting to think it might be good for some of you long time members with certain grudges to really start to put those aside.

I, for one, would be in favour of that. As long as the heavy-handedness is also kept in check and is done fairly. Mods cannot show favourtism. I think that disagreements on a site like this are good. It promotes discussion. If everyone agreed on everything we'd have nothing to talk about. But too many of these disagreements have become personal...and tiresome. That's where the heavy-handedness should come in. Argue about cables all you want, but no name calling allowed.

As the sole regular female poster on this site, I would also like to see some heavy-handedness where sexism is concerned. I don't want to ruin anybody's fun, but there have been several threads that I have pulled away from because of comments or photos that make me uncomfortable (semi-naked women with machine guns for instance). I realize that audio seems to be a male-dominated hobby but this is an audio site, not a men's locker room. I've been around here for eight years, so I've learned to ignore this stuff and stop visiting those threads. But since we're talking about attracting new members, it's the kind of thing that would keep me from returning to a site.

hifitommy
10-25-2010, 06:23 PM
i agree that there should be an OBVIOUS direction to the forums AND the tighter moderation might help. there have been some exchanges here that should have been stopped long before they had deteriorated into a pishing contest. i am not suggesting that it gets as bad as i have heard it is at a'gon.

another feature would be an easy way to post your system without having it displayed in every post, and encourage members to list their system there. when someone asks for help with their choices, its easier to make suggestions if you know what they already have.

thats all i can think of now but give me time.

woofersus
10-25-2010, 06:44 PM
I think the huge number of user reviews is actually a great draw. (as long as they are continuing to get added) It's just a matter of getting that to translate into forum activity. In fact, I read those reviews well before I ever visited the front page or the forums, because they tend to come up on google when you search for a product name. Maybe you could make the updating a little easier by having a link for manufacturers to add their own gear. (but not review their own gear ;)) Even if it was just a form that emailed the info to you so it could be easily added for now, it might prompt the info to come to you.

FWIW, I find Audio Asylum maddening to navigate. I actually prefer vB.

The reality is there's a critical mass a forum has to reach in order for there to be sufficient interesting discussion to appeal to a wide range of people. Moderation is important to ensure that the discussion is not off-putting, but the focus has to be sources of traffic to try to achieve that level - which includes all of the different types of content that has been mentioned in this thread. The key is to find efficient ways to produce it and use it to drive traffic to the forum.

Mr Peabody
10-25-2010, 07:12 PM
Now that I'm used to it I like VB and find posting/reading on other forums not as easy.

I agree that stricter moderating could help as long as it was done fairly.

More notoriaty for discussions on the front page was a good idea.

Let's all try to think of new threads to start. Some will die and some will get traction but we have to try, share news found other places on the web, share your system changes no matter how small, maybe we need to start a thread on an album we find good and just don't limit to posting a pic in "What's Spinning".

atomicAdam
10-25-2010, 07:29 PM
i agree that there should be an OBVIOUS direction to the forums AND the tighter moderation might help. there have been some exchanges here that should have been stopped long before they had deteriorated into a pishing contest. i am not suggesting that it gets as bad as i have heard it is at a'gon.

another feature would be an easy way to post your system without having it displayed in every post, and encourage members to list their system there. when someone asks for help with their choices, its easier to make suggestions if you know what they already have.

thats all i can think of now but give me time.

Hey hifitommy - i'm pretty sure there is that option in the user profile page, as well one can edit their sig and put their system in there. in fact if you click on my user name you'll see in the profile i just said to see my sig.

do the long sigs bother that many people? i've kind of learned to look past them, but I can see how a photo showing up every post.... PC are your ears burning?... could get a little old. reduced sigs? I don't think this really turns people off? I guess, before we worry about turning too many people off over the little things i/we should focus on attracting people. I can do what I can do on the homepage and other pages on the site, but need you guys to start with some good topics. Here I'll start one in the speaker sections. Watch...

ForeverAutumn
10-26-2010, 07:07 AM
Adam, it seems like a lot of people join the site, ask their question, and move on. They may not realize what a great community of people we have here. Perhaps in the Welcome Letter that you email to new members, you could point to the community aspect of the forums. In fact, maybe the forums should be renamed to Forum Community. What we have here at AR is more than just an information forum, although it can be just that to those who aren't interested in sticking around. But AR really has become a community over the years and I think that we can capitalize on that.

ForeverAutumn
10-26-2010, 07:08 AM
You could also fix the damn site to stop telling that I've double posted. :mad2:

:yesnod:

Tarheel_
10-26-2010, 08:38 AM
This is a good idea. I've toyed with putting something together in the past but it would have to manually updated at this point. This is good idea and I'll see what I can come up with. If I could get some of you to shoot me a PM of a hot thread when one is going down please do. I unfortunately am not everywhere on the forums. For instance I almost never go into Off Topic/DYI/ or some others. So help this admin out with a simple PM and I can do the rest.

Adam, here is a homepage with my suggestion..
http://www.avrev.com/
.it's on the Left pane-halfway down and is titled, "Popular <blank> Forum Topics". The list is comprised of links -- they go directly to the thread.

Side note, I test (QA) websites for a living, going on 11 years now. If you have something to test or ensure it works as advertised, drop me a PM or email. I've been on/off this site for a decade now and will be glad to give back. My time is limited, but I work for free!!!

dakatabg
10-26-2010, 09:38 AM
Adam, here is a homepage with my suggestion..
http://www.avrev.com/
.it's on the Left pane-halfway down and is titled, "Popular <blank> Forum Topics". The list is comprised of links -- they go directly to the thread!

good site, I just checked it out! Everything new is there!

10-27-2010, 08:45 AM
Thanks all for the suggestions -

How would you all feel if this forum was a little heavier handed. I'm starting to think it might be good for some of you long time members with certain grudges to really start to put those aside. But I agree that really it is a numbers came. The more people i/we can attract the more will stay.

I have some strong reservations about the more heavy handed approach. Having watched a certain individual misuse his power on two occasions, I am concerned that this approach can be used to censure somebody if the way the board is moderated isn't changed. While I agree discussion can get a little heated, and quite a bit personal, if discussion after discussion is crushed because of poor judgement, it could lead to another member exodus which is the last thing we need right now. I say this because it has happened on this board before, and it could happen again.

I think some lively discussions are actually good, as some great information has come out of some of them.

As far as grudges go, you do have some Billy Graham types that do talk out of both sides of their mouths. If an individual does not know how to get past old events, then perhaps they are not mature enough to participate on these forums.

Geoffcin
10-27-2010, 09:27 AM
Strangely,I find myself in agreement on a couple of points from the last post. I for one do not like a "heavy hand" approach to moderation. Moderation by it's name means to have a calming influence. A bludgon might calm you down by knocking you out, but you would doubtfully not be back for more, and keeping member is what we all want right?

I also agree that people should let "bygones-be-bygones". There's no need to have to stalk your percieved enemies and attack them with verbal abuse whenever the moment presents itself. We are all hopefully evolved above "monkeys" and are not delusional, or under the influence of hard drugs, and can see the error of a continuation of this course of action. For one I am ready to "smoke-the-peace-pipe" as long as it's not cracked that it...

GMichael
10-27-2010, 09:35 AM
For one I am ready to "smoke-the-peace-pipe" ...

I for two am ready as well. Hey, don't bogart that....

manlystanley
10-27-2010, 12:19 PM
I'd like to hear suggestions on how we can improve the AudioReview forums. What can we as users do to attract and keep new members?

I know I've worked and am working hard on the SPAM issues, it seems to be going well.

We are in the middle or upgrading our vBulletin software - this will give more web2.0 features and tie-ins with social media.

But what do we are users have control over to attract new members? Better post? More reviews. How can we attract manufacturers to participate in the forums?

WE need to make this place more popular so that it doesn't fade away.

I think just keep on doing what your doing. I'm amazed at how much I have learned and how good my system sounds. I try to return the favor to people, but there's not a lot that I can offer. I think the real value that audioreview has over other sites, is it's 'close feeling'. There are not tons of users.

Best Regards,
Stan

poppachubby
10-27-2010, 12:20 PM
I can see how a photo showing up every post.... PC are your ears burning?... could get a little old. reduced sigs?

Adam, your cup runneth over with jealousy. Infact, all of you dirty sunns-uh-biches are afraid of what you don't know...and "what's that?" you might ask? True high fidelity. Looking at pics of a truly top shelf system makes all of you insane with lust and jealousy.

That said, Audio Karma limits the sig significantly as compared to AR. I don't think there's any limits at all Adam. One can make it as big as they like with unlimited words and images.

I'm with Tommy, it would be great to have something like what the Asylum has. A member's area strictly for posting your system contents...including pics. Only paying members can add pics at the Asylum. I think that if AR had this same idea but with the ability to post pics for free, we would be a touch ahead on that front.

Terrence, and anyone else interested, if we went to having a review area in the forum, how would that look? Would it exist within the forum, or just link/connect to it? Perhaps the way to go would be to have it lumped into the general review area as it exists now. From there we could have a link or hotboard connecting people to the newest or most interesting reviews. Surely we can squeeze a small box somewhere in between Solar Aid and Micro Finance.

10-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Terrence, and anyone else interested, if we went to having a review area in the forum, how would that look? Would it exist within the forum, or just link/connect to it? Perhaps the way to go would be to have it lumped into the general review area as it exists now. From there we could have a link or hotboard connecting people to the newest or most interesting reviews. Surely we can squeeze a small box somewhere in between Solar Aid and Micro Finance.

Poppa,
You can have the review section as a topic just like the hometheater, rave reviews, film sections. You split them up as movie(Bluray, DVD, streaming whatever) and music(Bluray, CD, download, vinyl, etc). You teach the movie reviews how to place screenshots within the review via HTML, and you are ready to go. Then you provide a link on the front page that directs you to that section.

Having both a music and movie review section along with equipment reviews is a tremendous draw to this website if it is done with quality in mind. If it is a hack job, forget it, it will get no respect.

10-28-2010, 08:21 AM
I guess while I am at it I will throw this out there. One of the several main reasons I don't participate as much as I used to is because this site has become quite unstable. Lately when I have come here, I am met with a "Server is busy" message. After I refresh a couple of times, and it still says that, I am off to another site. I sometimes check in here between recording and mixing sessions, so if I cannot get on, I move on.

The powers that be have got to tackle that issue before you can grow the site. I am not sure their heart is in that at this moment.

ForeverAutumn
10-28-2010, 08:23 AM
I guess while I am at it I will throw this out there. One of the several main reasons I don't participate as much as I used to is because this site has become quite unstable. Lately when I have come here, I am met with a "Server is busy" message. After I refresh a couple of times, and it still says that, I am off to another site. I sometimes check in here between recording and mixing sessions, so if I cannot get on, I move on.

The powers that be have got to tackle that issue before you can grow the site. I am not sure their heart is in that at this moment.

That's a very valid point. It took me several time refreshing just to get to reply just now. The site has trouble handling the little traffic we have now. If it grows, the problem will only get worse.

GMichael
10-28-2010, 08:53 AM
All true. I have issues all the time. Server busy, can't post twice when it was the first time I posted, etc.. Something just isn't working right.

Hyfi
10-28-2010, 09:36 AM
All true. I have issues all the time. Server busy, can't post twice when it was the first time I posted, etc.. Something just isn't working right.
The Load Balancer is just really a Load. I also think the crystals are dying, Captain!

Tarheel_
10-28-2010, 12:08 PM
A thought / ideas

- in an effect to draw more traffic to the forums, when someone submits a review and hits the 'submit' or 'post' button (whatever they do to post it), a popup message or new page is displayed that asks, "would you like to discuss this "blank" piece of equipment in our forums?"
Or, just ask them if they would like to be directed to the forum area, etc.

Basically, after each review is submitted, an offer is presented to them to join the discussion forum.

Geoffcin
10-28-2010, 12:17 PM
A thought / ideas

- in an effect to draw more traffic to the forums, when someone submits a review and hits the 'submit' or 'post' button (whatever they do to post it), a popup message or new page is displayed that asks, "would you like to discuss this "blank" piece of equipment in our forums?"

Basically, after each review is submitted, an offer is presented to them to join the discussion forum.

Best idea yet! Guarenteed to increase traffic exponentially.

atomicAdam
10-28-2010, 02:24 PM

STtT - over the last two months we've been working on getting new load balancers in place to speed up the sites - as well we are breaking a few connection with part of the company that has split off. Lets just say it hasn't gone smoothly - there are so many interconnections it is mind boggling. Hopefully the stability issue will be resolved soon. It is getting better each week as we fix bugs that pop up here and there.

atomicAdam
10-28-2010, 02:26 PM
A thought / ideas

Not a bad idea - i'll see what I can do for that.

Ajani
10-28-2010, 05:31 PM
A thought / ideas

As others have said: that is a really good idea...

I first learned of these forums over 10 years ago through the reviews section... Actually, I first learned about the existence of High End Audio from that reviews section 10 years ago (back in the days when I thought Panasonic made the world's best stereo products)...

Tarheel_
12-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Here we have a collection of folks with nothing but the best interest for this community...having said that, i must be blunt....has any progress been made?

dakatabg
12-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Here we have a collection of folks with nothing but the best interest for this community...having said that, i must be blunt....has any progress been made?

Few days ago I was thinking the same thing. I added some products to the list here but I don't see anything new!

lomarica
12-02-2010, 09:06 PM
more equipment reviews, more film reviews, more pics and easier to use still don't know how to copy previous comment to post also every time you post the Title is blank so why do you have to enter a new title every time you post a repy also how do you post pics??
I don't even remember the correct name of this thread now as there is nothing on the screen to tell me

I assume there are some simple answers to this but it should not be a chore to post
thanks

harley .guy07
12-02-2010, 10:00 PM
I have always loved this site because it have reviews of components that other sites do not have. But you always have to look passed the non professional reviews from people that really have no business reviewing audio electronics. I think some professional reviews would be a cool addition but I do understand the financial constraints of doing something like that. But I also agree that we need a larger invite on the main page for the forum. A lot of people miss the forum part of this site due to the fact that they simply do not see it as a option. I know that part of the problem is that most people don't look at a website for all its worth when they are scanning the web but if we could have something that invites them and tells them that they could get information and answers to their audio related questions and advise plus just the plain old talk of audio which I know some younger people do not know about since they were raised in the mp3 environment which is not exactly a audiophile world but that is the future people of audio and that is a fact. Getting some of these younger people interested in higher end audio is going to be the ultimate goal if we plan on keeping any of this going. The best results I have had is to have people over and actually have them listen to their music through some good equipment and most times they are astounded at the difference but usually freak out at the price. But the thing is there are affordable options for them that they might not even know about that we as audiophiles could inform them on and as well tell them that there is a great site like this that they could get a plethora of information about the equipment they just heard and plenty more plus they could gain some friends that share the same music loving passion that they do.

harley .guy07
12-02-2010, 10:41 PM
I will add that there is a fine line between being helpful and being opinionated. I like to help people with the knowledge I have and get help from the people that have been around this hobby a little longer than I have but I think sometimes peoples opinions override one fact that we can not overlook, Every person on this planet has ears and some hear things differently than others and with that in tact people will hear things in some equipment that others don't and some will like products that others hate. That being said I think that we need to understand that some people like certain types of sound from their system what ever their background in this hobby. I know the argument between tube and SS has been going on since way before my time and is there as I am trying to figure out some future system decisions myself but some people prefer the speed and accuracy of SS verses tubes and others prefer the warmth and presence of tubes and do not care about the accuracy or bass presentation of solid state. Same goes with speakers and how they are built or sound. I would wish that this site would have a common goal to get the best sound that every person on this forum can personally achieve within their personal budget and tastes, If the person likes high powered solid state with dynamic speakers that has detail and slam or they prefer the high efficient designs is up to them and we need to realize that we need to be a helping hand and a forum friend for their needs not our own. I would not think that there would be so many brands and types of systems out there if every person had the same hearing or the same tastes.

poppachubby
12-03-2010, 02:39 AM
The best results I have had is to have people over and actually have them listen to their music through some good equipment and most times they are astounded at the difference but usually freak out at the price. But the thing is there are affordable options for them that they might not even know about that we as audiophiles could inform them on and as well tell them that there is a great site like this that they could get a plethora of information about the equipment they just heard and plenty more plus they could gain some friends that share the same music loving passion that they do.

I agree with you fully. I think one of the best areas right now, would have to be DACs as far as intruiging the masses. Most of everyone has a computer or laptop, and of those I think alot of people have music files. A DAC is a great "gateway" item as after someone has purchased one, I think natural curiousity will occur.

Portable items are also a good draw and can be a good starting point to stoke the fire of curiousity.

Adam is infact working away on some ideas guys, but red tape prevails like in all walks of progress.

thekid
12-03-2010, 03:08 AM
Harley hints at something that might help this site
I suspect a fair number of people visit the review section but for whatever reason fail to see or don't visit the Forum section. Perhaps when someone visits the review section a little pop-up advertising the Forum section might get their attention or possible linking the gear they are reading reviews on takes them to threads in the forum section regarding that gear.
not a tech guy so I don't even know if those things are possible.

Feanor
12-03-2010, 05:15 AM
A thought / ideas

Another vote for this idea. Like Ajani, I too discovered the Forums while looking for reviews.

Bill K Davis
12-03-2010, 06:38 AM
GET RID OF THE REVIEW ENTRIES WITH NO REVIEWS!!!!!!!!!! Second,something I'm guilty of, post a review ,or 10, of some product,particularly a good one, You got audio geniuses here,and it is easier to deal with than other forums. :12: The silence accompanying my response makes me think that these entries are put in by advertisers,and can't be removed. Naive.

Hyfi
12-03-2010, 07:37 AM
How about active recruitment? All of us have friends with music and equipment interests. I always point out these forums to people in hopes to add new blood.

Doesn't always work but worth a try.

harley .guy07
12-03-2010, 09:58 AM
How about active recruitment? All of us have friends with music and equipment interests. I always point out these forums to people in hopes to add new blood.

Doesn't always work but worth a try.

thats a great idea. Have a easy email or link add on that you can send to anyone with an email address and make it very user friendly so even people without computer skills that still like to be online can do it. We could send and invite to anyone that could possibly be into audio and a friend of ours and to boot it would not be like junk mail or spam because it is coming from someone they know. Kudos on that one.

atomicAdam
12-03-2010, 10:18 AM

Hi Tarheel_

Yes and no. Some action has been made in terms of FaceBook integration with the "like" widget and FaceBook Recommendations. I figured out where/how to edit the page following a review, and am looking at how to better promote the user reviews that you all write. You do write them, right?

I've not had a minute to look through this thread, but I will do that today and make a plan for some of the ideas I can implement, and address others I can't.

Tarheel_
12-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Hi Tarheel_

Yes and no. Some action has been made in terms of FaceBook integration with the "like" widget and FaceBook Recommendations. I figured out where/how to edit the page following a review, and am looking at how to better promote the user reviews that you all write. You do write them, right?

I've not had a minute to look through this thread, but I will do that today and make a plan for some of the ideas I can implement, and address others I can't.

Thanks for answering...i realize everyone is busy so i was just checking in to see where they (suggestions) sit.

Merry Christmas!