speaker cable question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : speaker cable question

dvan
10-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Hello all out there! This is my first post and I'll thank those in advance for any help provided. Just recently purchased a pair of bookshelf speakers - Destination Audio (RBH offshoot) model f300r. Curious what guage cable would be best for something that size. I would welcome any other suggestions involving installation/hookup. I've never bi-wired before - is that something I should consider? For the time being I'll be using them only for music. Thanks again! ps...I'm not an audiophile if that isn't already painfully clear.

dvan
10-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Greetings all! This is technically my second post- my first was moments ago in the "how-to" forum before I found this one. I recently purchased a pr. of Destination Audio F300R bookshelf speakers and I'm curious what gauge cable I should be using. Any other suggestions regarding installation/hookup are welcome. I've never bi-wired before - is that something I should consider? For now I'll be using for music only. BTW, I'm not an audiophile. Clearly. Thanks in advance for any help!

02audionoob
10-23-2010, 03:03 PM
How long are your wires going to be? What kind of connections do you have on your amp and your speakers?

poppachubby
10-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Welcome to AR dvan! I have merged your posts according to AR Forum rules. Double posting is not allowed.

Now that we have that sticky matter behind us, into cabling...

This is a hot button topic among enthusiasts with opinions ranging dramatically. Some will tell you that cabling makes no difference, while others will have specific cable preferences.

Personally, I would recommend a guage no higher than 16. 16 can be suitable for a short run. I think alot of audiophiles prefer 12/14 awg. I use 12 myself. Start with just a single run of 12 awg cabling and get accustomed to the sound. After a few weeks, perhaps add another run for bi-wiring.

I was bi-wired for quite sometime. I had Audioquest Hyper Litz and DIY 14 awg solid core bi-wired into a pair of Mission 707. It was a great set up.

Hope to see you around and I am sure more of the guys will chime in. Do a search in the Cable forum and you'll get a ton of results on the subject.