MMGs in a 3.1? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : MMGs in a 3.1?

cackalacky
10-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Now that I'm a Maggie convert, I'm thinking about MMGs for fronts, an MMGC for center, and some sort of sub. Anyone using MMGs in HT? Thoughts? Suggestions for a compatible sub? Thanks in advance.

Geoffcin
10-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Now that I'm a Maggie convert, I'm thinking about MMGs for fronts, an MMGC for center, and some sort of sub. Anyone using MMGs in HT? Thoughts? Suggestions for a compatible sub? Thanks in advance.

Yes, I've run a full-up Magnepan HT. Right now I'm using a CC3 center, and two MC1's for L/R surrounds. I moved my 3.6's out of the mains duty as they are just too revealing for HT duty. I am interested in possibly using the 1.7qr as mains though.....

The only subs that I had any success integrating with my Magnepans are my Velodyne servo subs. Paradigm also makes a servo sub, and Martin Logan subs are specifically designed to mate with planar speakers.

I know all of these options aren't cheap, but the last thing you want to do is set up a system and then have to sell it because it doesn't perform up to what you want. If there's one specific item I would really recommend. it would be the CC3. The CC3 center is a bit more expensive than the MMGC but it's a wonderful speaker that really gives starlingly lifelike timbre to vocals. It should also mate well with any maggie main from the MMG on up to the 1.7s.

blackraven
10-24-2010, 02:16 PM
I use my 1.6's in a 3.1 set up and they do just fine, but I'm not picky when it comes to HT, my main interest is 2ch. If your are on a budget, go with a Martin Logan dynamo sub but make sure it's non-ported. One of the cheaper new dynamo subs is ported and may not keep up with the maggies bass. ML subs mate fairly well with Maggies. You may even be able to find a good deal on a use Martin Logan Grotto i servo sub. The Velodyne servo subs are fantastic as the higher end REL's. The local Maggie dealer here recommends REL's for Maggies.

Raj J
10-25-2010, 10:27 PM
greetings from melbourne!
I remember when back in Chicago, the best maggie set up I heard that was installed for HT surround, was a pair of MG3.5/R as mains, MG12's as rears, a martin logan electrostatic panel as center (forget the model) and a REL sub used in conjunction with Lexicon HT processor, Krell power amps and Burmester front end. this was a Krell/Burmester/Lexicon/Meridian system with all Maggies as speakers, only difference was the centre channel by martin logan. the sound and dynamics, details, speed, impact, power and finnese was second to none! I haven't heard HT system to date that beats this! and this set up was back in July 1998; the price tag for the entire system at the time was somewhere close to 100 grand! this includes cables, interconnects, voltage stabs, power conditioners etc, it also included a universal disc player special edition by Meridian- the best at the time (again cannot remember the model, but in the showroom it was the same player they used on a stellar 2-channel system comprising of conrad johnson & Inner Sound ESL's) that was simply outstanding! this is where I got hipmotized to conrad johnson and the ESL sound...

so, there you go - if you want real high-end top notch stuff, sky's the limit. then again you can achieve equally good results with decent dynamics frills and whistles using NAD, or AudioLab gear driving maggies, still great sound and HT dynamics at a fraction of the cost. the choice is yours!
cheers, Raj J

audio amateur
10-25-2010, 11:26 PM
Unless you like to turn up the center channel volume to hear dialogue better, there isn't much point. I personally do without a center in my system (4.1).

cackalacky
10-26-2010, 07:37 PM
I use my 1.6's in a 3.1 set up and they do just fine, but I'm not picky when it comes to HT, my main interest is 2ch. If your are on a budget, go with a Martin Logan dynamo sub but make sure it's non-ported. One of the cheaper new dynamo subs is ported and may not keep up with the maggies bass. ML subs mate fairly well with Maggies. You may even be able to find a good deal on a use Martin Logan Grotto i servo sub. The Velodyne servo subs are fantastic as the higher end REL's. The local Maggie dealer here recommends REL's for Maggies.

Like you, my priority is 2 channel listening, and I'm about 90% certain that I'll go with the 1.7s. While many Maggie reviewers fuss about a lack of bass, my recent audition of the 1.7s found them to have a superb, natural, "nearly perfect" bass with plenty of slam.

Maggie specific question: could EQ-augmented bass be used for HT instead of shelling out for an expensive sub? Would it achieve the rumble and boom sometimes called for in HT?

JoeE SP9
10-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Get a sub. Two subs are even better. A decent sub is in IMO the smart idea for all Magneplanars. My friend with the MG-20.1's has two large (18") Velodyne servo subs running from 50Hz down. He thinks they improve the extreme low bass. So do I.

Of course you can try using an equalizer on the 1.7's.

I'm an ex-Maggie (MG-1, 2, 3) owner. IMO Eq'ing Maggy's to give box speaker slam and/or the extreme (anything below 35Hz or so) low end of a good sub doesn't work very well.

Raj J
11-03-2010, 11:28 PM
yes, I agree - using subs with maggies absolutely kills the natural bass maggies can deliver if driven with the right amplification.
I have noticed many out there using mega watt monoblocks on their maggies - this is not required! you are just thrashing out loudness and noise and not music. I have tried 350 watt monoblocks on maggies (mg3.5/r) sound was well ok, lots of power, kaboom, guts & glory...; then used a premier highend 70 watter power amp from c-j, sound was well musical and very relaxing, in fact it was Sweet! it did have limits of power though on certain passages when maggies demanded, but that was because I turned up the levels, you needs to. I guess when you're young and an enthusiast, there is a tendancy to show off a little, but when a decade or so passess, you will appreciate the artists more and what they offer. normal realistic levels that is pleasing to listen to is what you want. same goes for home theatre, it should be nice and feel good to listen and to watch, not end up with a headache because of too much boom / distortion, and inaccurate tones...
use a sub only if you are completely deaf in the bottom octaves!
cheers, RJ