B&W DM685's with a Marantz 2270 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : B&W DM685's with a Marantz 2270

axelsrd
10-18-2010, 03:15 PM
I just bought a Marantz 2270 receiver

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270647793375&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Now I need a set of speakers to compliment it. Was thinking of getting a pair of B&W 685's. What say you?

What else should I be considering that would match up well?

Thanks
Randy

TheHills44060
10-18-2010, 03:54 PM
The 685's are pretty good bookshelf speakers...they show up a lot on the used market so u may be able to find a decent deal. I like the wenge finish the best.

Hyfi
10-18-2010, 04:31 PM
The 685's are pretty good bookshelf speakers...they show up a lot on the used market

That almost doesn't make sense. Try finding some used Dynaudio speakers in the same price range.

I do know a girl in the Ukraine, a co-worker, who has a pair of these and loves them. She listens to lots of metal music. She did somehow manage to blow a driver a month or so ago but the repair turnaround was a week and a half.

LeRoy
10-18-2010, 04:42 PM
I just bought a Marantz 2270 receiver

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270647793375&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Now I need a set of speakers to compliment it. Was thinking of getting a pair of B&W 685's. What say you?

What else should I be considering that would match up well?

Thanks
Randy

Depending on your price point....you may want to consider the Cambridge Audio S-30 for about $220/pr and they can be found at the website of AudioAdvisor. Another great choice would be Canton GLE 403 but the are about $380/pr and can be found on the website, Accessories4less.

I currently have the 403's and enjoy them very much. I've also purchased 2 pair of the S-30's and gave them as gifts.

Good luck with your research and selection.

LeRoy

axelsrd
10-18-2010, 05:57 PM
How would Pioneer HPM-100's or JBL L-100/L112's match up. I mostly listen to Classic rock and some blues.

02audionoob
10-18-2010, 06:27 PM
I was using a pair of JBL S-38 on my Marantz 2325 for a while. I thought it was a nice setup. Then I did some rearranging and my Focal Cobalt 806S speakers wound up with the Marantz and they were a very noticeable upgrade in clarity and detail. I occasionally see the Cobalt on the used market, but it's not exactly common.

TheHills44060
10-18-2010, 07:00 PM
That almost doesn't make sense. Try finding some used Dynaudio speakers in the same price range.
How does it not make sense? I simply stated one opinion and one fact. I happen to think the 685's are nice and if you look on audiogon a pair or more seem to show up every month or so. I specifically mentioned the used market cuz i think they are a little pricey compared to some of its competitors.

audio amateur
10-19-2010, 12:10 AM
It doesn't make sense as in if they show up a lot on the used market it must mean they aren't very good speakers.
I personally own the smaller brother, the 686. I am very happy with them.

Hyfi
10-19-2010, 04:12 AM
It doesn't make sense as in if they show up a lot on the used market it must mean they aren't very good speakers.

Thanks for explaining that.

I also went on to mention someone happy with the speakers.

TheHills44060
10-19-2010, 05:26 AM
That's the dumbest thing i ever heard. Good gear holds resale value and often times people move up the ladder in the same series from bookshelf to towers. The upgrade bug is huge is a hobby like this. I actually like the 685/6 but not all that keen on the tower versions.

audio amateur
10-19-2010, 05:34 AM
That's an ignorant statement. Good gear holds resale value and often times people move up the ladder in the same series from bookshelf to towers. The upgrade bug is huge is a hobby like this.
I am only explaining to the OP what Hyfi was trying to say. Not my statement, although i somewhat agree with it. As I was just saying I do enjoy my 686.

TheHills44060
10-19-2010, 05:42 AM
So your advice to the original poster is not to buy the 685's because they can be found used but feel free to get the 686's because you like them and they don't seem to appear on the used market as much? huh, weird...

Hyfi
10-19-2010, 05:54 AM
So your advice to the original poster is not to buy the 685's because they can be found used but feel free to get the 686's because you like them and they don't seem to appear on the used market as much? huh, weird...

You are twisting this a bit out of proportion.

Re-read my response to see I said Almost and it was just an observation. Try searching for a used pair of Dynaudios. Nobody sells them, they keep them forever so it seems.

I just thought your statement sounded funny because most sought after gear stays in the owners hands even after they upgrade.

I in no way trash talked the speakers and again I stated someone I know who loves them.

Just think about it this way, if a particular pc of gear is always showing up on the used market, it means people don't want to keep it. That is all I observed from your statement.

Now chill, no harm done.

audio amateur
10-19-2010, 06:02 AM
You didn't understand my post, read it again. And read Hyfi's posts also

axelsrd
10-19-2010, 06:39 AM
OK kids, let's settle down. No need to argue. I was just curiuos as to how (if at all) the 685's matched with the 2270. If not, then I will consider Advents or Pioneer/JBL 100's, or something else.

Let's play nice.

Randy

audio amateur
10-19-2010, 07:08 AM
I don't know how the 685 would match up to a vintage amplifier but the 685s are definitely not a bad speaker. However, there's a lot to choose from, especially in the US so I would suggest looking at other offerings from brands such as Dynaudio (as Hyfi stated), Paradigm, PSB, Monitor Audio, Magnepan.... as I said there's a lot to choose from so you're probably going to want to have a listen to some to have an idea of what you want. There's also a load of good speakers that are only available online (SVS for example) so you have to look around.

axelsrd
10-20-2010, 02:58 PM
There's also a load of good speakers that are only available online (SVS for example) so you have to look around.

That's my problem. I live in a small rural town with a Walmart. There is really no place to audition speakers. That is why I refer to the experts. I am looking at maybe these on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370446827523&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

What say you?

Thanks again
Randy

axelsrd
10-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Or maybe even these

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1291249032&/Jbl-/-James-B-Lansing-4311B-St

audio amateur
10-20-2010, 11:46 PM
I would stay with the newer offerings when purchasing speakers.
If you tell us more about your listening tastes, what you expect from them, your room size etc then we could give you better advice

axelsrd
10-21-2010, 04:55 AM
I would stay with the newer offerings when purchasing speakers.
If you tell us more about your listening tastes, what you expect from them, your room size etc then we could give you better advice

I guess I'm looking for everything in one speaker (if that's even possible). I want strong bass, but not overpowering so that I can't enjoy the music. I want good mids and yes, I want to enjoy the sizzle of the cymbal or a fine acoustic guitar. Jeeeez, what's a guy to do. I would like to stay vintage since the Marantz 2270 is vintage but not opposed to something new. If the B&W 865's are not a good match, then what? My budget is roughly $1000 but don't want to spend it all if I don't have to.
My room size is 17x30
My music taste is classic rock, some blues (Gary Moore, Peter Green etc), Al Stewart, that sort of thing.

Maybe the JBL L100 or Pioneer HPM 100's are the way to go.

Still asking for help.

Randy

audio amateur
10-21-2010, 06:30 AM
No need to go vintage just because your amp is vintage. The few vintage (old) speakers i've heard really didnt sound great, most of them sounded muffled.
Im not the guy to speak to but there shouldnt be any problems associating the 685s with your amp. I would say get them if you find them second hand (I wouldnt pay more than 500 for them). Make sure you have some stands (either buy or make them) for 685s so that the tweeters are approximately at ear height, like this:
http://www.phileweb.com/review/closeup/bw600/image2/sichou-685-l.jpg