I watched EARTH VS THE FLYING SAUCERS ON on TCM the other day [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I watched EARTH VS THE FLYING SAUCERS ON on TCM the other day

kelsci
10-18-2010, 02:42 PM
I saw this film as a kid in 1957 on a double feature with the original Godzilla. I was listening the other day with my headset and headphone amplfifier. TCM showed a version that had the mono sound redone in stereo. Boy did that rechanneling make this B-pict sound great. Good job whoever did this audio transformation. I believe this film is on BD with the 5.1 soundtract. If it sounds any good like what I heard it is probably nifty audiowise in 5.1.

Geoffcin
10-18-2010, 03:01 PM
I saw this film as a kid in 1957 on a double feature with the original Godzilla. I was listening the other day with my headset and headphone amplfifier. TCM showed a version that had the mono sound redone in stereo. Boy did that rechanneling make this B-pict sound great. Good job whoever did this audio transformation. I believe this film is on BD with the 5.1 soundtract. If it sounds any good like what I heard it is probably nifty audiowise in 5.1.

I saw a little of this why channel surfing. I wonder if they put it on in response to the new "Aliens attacking us" movie Skyline.

kelsci
10-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Geoffin, I do not think so. They ran THE TIME MACHINE from 1960 after EARTH. Unfortunately THE TIME MACHINE does not contain the stereo track; it was recorded in 4 track stereo . Perhaps MGM cannot find that soundtrack in the vaults.

I did see a quicky preview of Skyline tonite. It does look interesting. I did not even know a big alien invasion film was being made.

Troy
10-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Doesn't Hollywood make a big "aliens invading earth" movie like every 15 minutes?

But yeah, EvsFS is a classic. Saw it on TV as a kid. Made a big impression for sure. Ray Harryhousen kicks ass.

Worf101
10-22-2010, 08:05 AM
Doesn't Hollywood make a big "aliens invading earth" movie like every 15 minutes?

But yeah, EvsFS is a classic. Saw it on TV as a kid. Made a big impression for sure. Ray Harryhousen kicks ass.
After "The War of the Worlds" has there been an invading alien army film recently? I watched Evs.TFS and loved as I have the last 20 times or so I've seen it. Loved Tim Burton's Parody as well. But the classic is the bubble gum cards of the Early 60's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Attacks

These lurid little pieces of cardboard with the giant insects, burning bodies and scantily clad females in distress, kept me awake at night and are partially responsible for my current state of moral depravity!!!:cornut: I have a reprint set and love flipping through them from time to time. Wonder if "Skyline" is gonna be any good.

http://www.iamrogue.com/skyline

Worf

Troy
10-22-2010, 09:49 AM
After "The War of the Worlds" has there been an invading alien army film recently?

Cloverfield? The Day the Earth Stood Still (speaking of horrible remakes!)? Yeah, "every 15 minutes" was obviously an exaggeration. But really, how many alien invasion movies do we have to sit thru in a lifetime? It's almost as ubiquitously annoying as superhero movies.

I gotta admit, really did enjoy Mars Attacks tho . . .

Worf101
10-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Cloverfield? The Day the Earth Stood Still (speaking of horrible remakes!)? Yeah, "every 15 minutes" was obviously an exaggeration. But really, how many alien invasion movies do we have to sit thru in a lifetime? It's almost as ubiquitously annoying as superhero movies.

I gotta admit, really did enjoy Mars Attacks tho . . .
Cloverfield and The Day The Earth Stood Still are NOT alien invasion movies as far as I'm concerned. They are solitary creatures not members of a vast fleet. The difference between both films and ID4 are relatively obvious. But your point is taken. I think we've had more "endodaworld" movies myself.

Worf

thekid
10-22-2010, 12:27 PM
I have both "Earth Vs The Flying Saucers" and "The Time Machine" on Laserdisc. They were always favorties on the late night sci-fi or horror fests that alot of local TV stations used to have on late Friday or Saturday nights.

kelsci
10-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Hi Worfster; EARTH VS THE FLY.SAUC. was made in 1956, not the 1960s. It is a 1950s product.