How to Train Your Dragon . . . Sir T? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How to Train Your Dragon . . . Sir T?

Hairsonfire
10-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Well, the eagerly anticipated DreamWorks latest project was very enjoyable - besides being typically formulaic and just a bit derivative (think Last Shadow from Avatar) I was very disappointed with the image quality. I actually stopped the movie to check my monitor and PS3 video settings to make sure nothing was amiss. Don't mean to say it is a horrible image, but I was disappointed. I am hoping it might be something that was an error in the production process and that I just got a "bad" copy. Anyone else?

Mr Peabody
10-17-2010, 07:19 PM
You did play the Blu-ray copy, right? Just making sure :)

I haven't picked that one up yet. Maybe it should be a rental first.

Hairsonfire
10-18-2010, 04:00 AM

But, no. It was definitely the Blu Ray. I was doing some comparison's yesterday, Wall-E, Bolt, Kung Fu Panda, Ratatouille,, etc, HTTYD just does not even compare in depth, color saturation, detail, etc. I am convinced that there was some encoding error that we will hear about regarding this. How disappointing.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
10-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Wow flaming scalp, I am surprised at your observation. How to train your Dragon is one of the best looking animation projects I have seen on Bluray outside of a Pixar production. The only bad thing I saw on that disc was color banding which is a problem with most animation anyone(try shoving a 10bit colorspace into a 8 bit shell).

Hairsonfire
10-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Wow flaming scalp, I am surprised at your observation. How to train your Dragon is one of the best looking animation projects I have seen on Bluray outside of a Pixar production. The only bad thing I saw on that disc was color banding which is a problem with most animation anyone(try shoving a 10bit colorspace into a 8 bit shell).

Maybe I am being overly critical but it just didn't look right some how in some scenes. Thanks for replying!

Hairsonfire
11-01-2010, 04:18 AM

that I mistakenly watched the standard DVD instead of the Bluray. I still can't believe I did that and didn't realize it. I guess that is a highly positive endorsement for the image quality from a PS3 that allowed me to believe that it was 1080p when it was not. I am still shaking my head and feeling like an idiot. Sorry folks.

I watched the Bluray last night and was just floored. Definitely one of the best I have seen so far.

audio amateur
11-01-2010, 04:29 AM
lol... it can happen to the best of us