buying a tv sight unseen is that crazy??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : buying a tv sight unseen is that crazy???

lomarica
10-16-2010, 05:23 PM
I am looking at the Mits 65-838 and the Mits 65inch laservue, or I should say I am trying to look at them. No dealers seem to have them in stock in my area sacramento.

I have seen the 73 838 series so that is essentially the same as the 65 but is it crazy to buy the laservue online sight unseen. The reviews love it and the price while much more than the 838 is ok for me.

any comments appreciated especially if anyone has experience with the laservue

by the way my experience at both Fry's and RC Willey were terrible. No one to help and what little help finally came they did not know &%$#(*!.
one more reason for me to order online plus amazon has the laservue for $3500
thanks

Mr Peabody
10-16-2010, 06:26 PM
You might see if Crutchfield carries the model you want, I know they have some Mits, they have a 30 day return policy and currently doing free shipping. Although shipping back could be a hefty some at least there is an option in case you hated the set. I bought my Tosh from them some years back and delivery included unboxing and setting it where I wanted it. Of course, Amazon may let you return as well I'm not familiar with what their policy is.

With what you said, no where to view it, good reviews and you have at least seen some Mits models, it doesn't sound so crazy. As long as you have that escape clause, just, in case.

lomarica
10-17-2010, 09:07 AM
ok good idea just make sure I have a good return policy I am sure I will like either tv after waiting so many years to upgrade

02audionoob
10-17-2010, 09:19 AM
I bought a little LCD television set online, sight unseen, and it's not very good. It was cheap, though...a overstock or refurb or something...so I kept it. The color is a little funky. The audio is weak.

pixelthis
10-17-2010, 09:37 AM
three words to remember...KEEP THE BOX.
Can't go wrong (usually) with a "name" brand, also the set is new so you will likely
not get a refurb on the sly.
So all you have to worry about is them laser beams shoottin into your head!
ENJOY.:1:

Woochifer
10-17-2010, 04:35 PM
Well, you've already seen the larger model, so you have an idea of how the picture looks. If you've never seen any of Mitsubishi's Laservue models, then I'd say you're out of your mind to buy it sight unseen. If you sat the larger model and like how it looks, then it's not really a blind buy. But, if you didn't try out the remote, look at the range of calibration adjustments available, etc., then there are still unknowns you haven't firmed up yet.

Basically, the Laservue TVs are DLP RPTVs with a laser used in the light engine rather than a bulb. RPTV's biggest liability is the reduced viewing angle, and that issue remains with the Laservue line. And in general, RPTVs are less reliable than direct view TVs, and Mitsubishi TVs in particular have had reliability problems.

As others have mentioned, the biggest problem with buying a big ticket item like this online arises if don't like the TV and want to return it. Even with a return guarantee, you have no choice but to send it back on your own dime. Nobody offers free return shipping on a 100+ lb TV. At least if you buy from a retail store's website like Costco or Best Buy, you have the option of returning it at one of their stores.

Poultrygeist
10-21-2010, 04:24 AM
Consider Amazon as they usually have the lowest prices on big screens. You need to check their prices daily as they go up and down. They also deliver and set up.