Speaker Setup (Series, parallel?) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Setup (Series, parallel?)

clear_skies
10-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Hi all,

I bought a 4 channel amp, 6 speakers and cable for an installation in my local school canteen. The speakers are only going to be connected to a TV so a basic setup is required. I'm just looking for a little advice on connecting it all up, I was told I can connect 2 speakers per channel? How exactly is this done? I've got the following equipment:

Amp: http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTE...MusicStoreShop (http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/MusicStore-MusicStoreShop-Site/en_EN/-/IEP/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=PAH0006734-000%40MusicStore-MusicStoreShop)

Speakers (3 pairs): http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/MusicStore-MusicStoreShop-Site/en_EN/-/IEP/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=PAH0005483-000%40MusicStore-MusicStoreShop

Cable: http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTE...MusicStoreShop (http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/MusicStore-MusicStoreShop-Site/en_EN/-/IEP/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=PAH0000501-000%40MusicStore-MusicStoreShop)

I've also got 4 speakon connections.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mr Peabody
10-15-2010, 04:26 PM
I didn't see the impedance listed for the speakers but both speakers and amp have built in protection. I'd put two pair in parallel on one set of speaker connections and the other pair on the second set.

clear_skies
10-15-2010, 04:35 PM
I didn't see the impedance listed for the speakers but both speakers and amp have built in protection. I'd put two pair in parallel on one set of speaker connections and the other pair on the second set.

The speakers are 4 ohm each. Sorry could you explain that a little better? I'm fairly new to setting up speakers in that manner but hopefully you can shed some light on it.

Thanks for the reply,

Mr Peabody
10-15-2010, 06:59 PM
Something I didn't think about in my last reply, if you use two sets of speakers on one set of terminals and one set on the other then depending on impedance either the two will play louder than the other set or the other set will play louder than the four. Seeing the speakers are 4 ohms it would be safer to put the two pair in series opposed to parallel. In series though they will make an 8 ohm load which won't play as loud as the other set.

With all that being said my advice would be to pick up a speaker switcher that would allow you a correct connection of all three sets of speakers or take one pair back and just use the four speakers on the four speaker terminals on the amp.

clear_skies
10-16-2010, 03:08 AM
Ok, I might return one pair of speakers. Can I connect one pair to one terminal in parallel, and the other pair in another terminal in parallel also?

This would leave 2 free terminals for future expansion, so if we wanted to add maybe 4 more speakers to the setup?

Thanks again for your help

Mr Peabody
10-16-2010, 02:46 PM
Well, that would make the volume even to all speakers but if you put 4 ohm speakers in parallel the amp will see 2 ohms and will most likely go into protection. If using that many speakers I'd go in series so the amp sees 8 ohms. Series would be like left (+) on amp to left (+)red on speaker one then left (-) on amp to speaker 2 (-)black then a jumper wire from speaker one black to speaker 2 red. And do the same on right which would equal four speakers. With just four in the beginning you are bettter off using a regular speaker connection to each of your four speaker terminals.

clear_skies
10-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Well, that would make the volume even to all speakers but if you put 4 ohm speakers in parallel the amp will see 2 ohms and will most likely go into protection. If using that many speakers I'd go in series so the amp sees 8 ohms. Series would be like left (+) on amp to left (+)red on speaker one then left (-) on amp to speaker 2 (-)black then a jumper wire from speaker one black to speaker 2 red. And do the same on right which would equal four speakers. With just four in the beginning you are bettter off using a regular speaker connection to each of your four speaker terminals.

I've tried out 2 speakers on channel one connected in parallel and then the 3rd speaker connected to the second channel on its own. All seems to work perfect, and to be honest I cannot notice any volume difference. I think I might go ahead and connect all 6 speakers in this manner as it all seems to be functioning fine?

Dual-500
10-16-2010, 09:37 PM
I've tried out 2 speakers on channel one connected in parallel and then the 3rd speaker connected to the second channel on its own. All seems to work perfect, and to be honest I cannot notice any volume difference. I think I might go ahead and connect all 6 speakers in this manner as it all seems to be functioning fine?
That setup may work fine. If the amp sounds ok and it's not generating excessive heat. Mr. P is giving good advice. Run the 2 pair in series.

The amp has gain controls, run the two pairs in series and turn down the single pair -3db and it will be balanced power wise. That would be the preferred configuration.

I run an Adcom 4ch amp on my house system @ 2 ohms, but it has external cooling fans and is a very robust amplifier. Without knowing more about the amp you are using, I would hesitate to run it @ 2 ohms.