Amp Recommendation for Spica TC-50 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Amp Recommendation for Spica TC-50

high510
10-14-2010, 06:37 AM
I have Tc50s want to use in System 2 (Rotel 1520 B&W 684 is System 1). I am looking new or used with budget under $500 USD. Think the Rotel makes the Spicas too bright. Any recommended Amp (integrated, separates or receiver, it is system 2 after all)? Love the Spicas and not looking to replace.

The Spicas are on a different floor from System 1, not my first choice to run wires through a 90 year old house.

First entry on the Forums, so thanks for any help for the rookie.

JohnMichael
10-14-2010, 08:51 AM
I have Tc50s want to use in System 2 (Rotel 1520 B&W 684 is System 1). I am looking new or used with budget under $500 USD. Think the Rotel makes the Spicas too bright. Any recommended Amp (integrated, separates or receiver, it is system 2 after all)? Love the Spicas and not looking to replace.

The Spicas are on a different floor from System 1, not my first choice to run wires through a 90 year old house.

First entry on the Forums, so thanks for any help for the rookie.

I would try a Cambridge Audio or NAD. Both have new units under $500 and are on the warm side of neutral. As I remember the Spica's are bright if you listen on axis with the tweeter. Good luck with your shopping.

Mr Peabody
10-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Good suggestions from JM. You might also consider JoLida who has a 100x2 hybrid integrated amp around $500.00. If you can locate a vintage Sansui they provide high and low filters which would allow you to tailor the sound to your speakers.

I wouldn't ordinarily recommend this but a cheap fix would be an equalizer. You could pick one up used for dirt cheap. Much of the time an EQ introduces noise, especially in a higher end system.

cjpremierfour
10-16-2010, 02:24 PM
I wouldn't think that the Rotel would be bright. It might be a placement problem or may be you need to look into some room treatment fixes. IMO, rooms are everything. With the right room acoustics, almost any system can sound great.
Depending on your room and if you can place the Spica's right, the Jolida line of tube amps are very good deals. Have to agree with Mr Peabody on that one!

Mr Peabody
10-16-2010, 02:31 PM
If you already have a Rotel amp for the second system you might also want to just consider a warmer CD player, like a budget minded Marantz 5003 or if any Cambridge Audio 640's are still around.

JohnMichael
10-16-2010, 04:09 PM
I wouldn't think that the Rotel would be bright. It might be a placement problem or may be you need to look into some room treatment fixes. IMO, rooms are everything. With the right room acoustics, almost any system can sound great.
Depending on your room and if you can place the Spica's right, the Jolida line of tube amps are very good deals. Have to agree with Mr Peabody on that one!

I had a Rotel RA 970BX integrated amp that was excellent sounding. When it needed service the shop loaned me a new model of that amp RA 971BX and it was so bright I rarely listened to music until my 970 was returned.