Tekton Model 8.1EN [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tekton Model 8.1EN

Ajani
10-13-2010, 12:21 PM
I decide to take the plunge and try a full range speaker... So I contacted Erik at Tekton about buying a pair of Model 8.1ENs...

http://www.tektondesign.com/images/Model81en_06.jpg

http://www.tektondesign.com/Model81en.html

The 8.1EN uses a Fostex FE206EN 8" full-range driver... It has a 96db sensitivity @ 8 ohms...

It'll be interesting to see how they sound....

poppachubby
10-13-2010, 02:24 PM
They're going to sound great, particularily upgrading from your current pair. I hope the impedance match is a good one. Congrats!

Ajani
10-13-2010, 03:46 PM
They should be a good match... According to Tekton, they are supposed to be a match for all amplifier topologies...

Worse case, they end up being in my computer system and give me an excuse to buy a MiniWatt Tube Amp....

Poultrygeist
10-13-2010, 05:16 PM
I don't know what your main speakers are but no doubt they will be replaced by the Tektons.

Those Fostex drivers will probably sound fine with your high powered EMO at less than a quarter turn of the volume pot but they will long for the "crystaline, fast as a whip, lit up EL84 Decware sound of the MiniWatt".

Ajani
10-13-2010, 05:25 PM
My plan (long term) is to have two systems

Computer room:
Speakers: Tekton Model 8.1EN (waiting for shipping quote)
Amp: MiniWatt or other SET amp
Source: Benchmark DAC 1 (Currently just driving my AKG K701 Cans) + Laptop

Living Room:
Speakers: Something big and inefficient - maybe some Electrostats or Revel Performa.
Amp: Emotiva XPA-2 (300 Watt beast)
Source: Emotiva XDA-1 DAC/Preamp (I'm on the reserve list) + Squeezebox Classic

Poultrygeist
10-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Your computer room is going to sound better than your living room my friend.

Once I heard the beauty of a single ended tube amp driving a full range Fostex there was no turning back. I sold my powerful but sterile sounding $2K Classe solid state amp and last weekend I finally sold my power sucking $2K Aerial Acoustics speakers. If you're not familiar with Classe they hang with Krell and are often referred to as the "Canadian Krell". The electostats are nice but are power addicts and they don't sound like the single driver wide banders that float my boat. The big ones, however can make handsome room dividers.

One thing I've learned over the years with audio is that less can often be much more.

Ajani
10-13-2010, 06:24 PM
Your computer room is going to sound better than your living room my friend.

Once I heard the beauty of a single ended tube amp driving a full range Fostex there was no turning back. I sold my powerful but sterile sounding $2K Classe solid state amp and last weekend I finally sold my power sucking $2K Aerial Acoustics speakers. If you're not familiar with Classe they hang with Krell and are often referred to as the "Canadian Krell". The electostats are nice but are power addicts and they don't sound like the single driver wide banders that float my boat. The big ones, however can make handsome room dividers.

One thing I've learned over the years with audio is that less can often be much more.

I actually kind of hope the Fostex/SET changes my mind about having Stats in the living room... If so then the Emo will just continue to drive the cheapo Technics 3 ways I have in there now.... And I'll dream about moving on to higher quality single driver speakers like Seas Exotic....